As the real estate market is constantly changing and our goals and desires as investors are also changing what's next is forefront or should be forefront for each of us. Who are we as real estate investors? What are your goals and the investment strategies that support your goals? Where are we going as investors? What is most important to know or learn? New directions or strategies?
As a long-term investor, I like to know what other investors - particularly younger ones - think. Thanks for reading and responding.
Rental Property Investor · Emmaus, PA · Member since 2021 · 152 posts · 85 votes
11mo
I think the biggest challenge for me and my team at the moment is managing & maintaining growth. The biggest challenge is having good growth - properties that meet our criteria and return targets, not just buying for the sake of buying.
In correlation to our growth challenge, finding suitable and enough private investors also poses a big challenge for us.
Luckily, I find the challenges we have to be good ones, and fun ones at that!
Specialist · Member since 2025 · 483 posts · 270 votes
11mo
Who am I as an investor: a buy‑and‑hold operator focused on durable cash flow first, with value‑add when it's warranted. Goals: grow stable income, stack equity, and buy options for my family; near term I target cash‑flowing SFR/2–4s and small commercial that I can stabilize, then trade up. Where we're going: disciplined underwriting, multiple exits, and tighter ops will win while rates stay choppy. What to know: your buy box, true rents from PMs, conservative expenses, and your team's capacity. New directions: creative finance on good assets, hybrid BRRR when numbers support it, and small commercial with sticky tenants. Bottom line: clarity of identity, tight criteria, and consistent offers beat market noise.
Wow Elealeh! Very clear and well thought out goals and direction. I really like your sensible and conservative approach to real estate investing. How long have you been an investor? What are buy options for your family? Thanks for responding. Wade
Hey Kyle, Thanks for responding. What kinds of properties do you target and their returns? I definitely agree with you about not just buying for the sake of buying. That is a great way to lose money.
How do you work with private investors - term, rates and etc?
I would also agree that challenges are good and fun and take us to the next level. Wade
Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 95 posts · 29 votes
5mo
Biggest challenge I see going into 2026 is capital access speed. Deals are moving fast and the investors winning are the ones who can fund in days, not weeks. That means having liquid reserves you can tap without selling positions or waiting for bank approval. The people who built that kind of access before the opportunity wave are the ones picking up the best deals right now.
As the real estate market is constantly changing and our goals and desires as investors are also changing what's next is forefront or should be forefront for each of us. Who are we as real estate investors? What are your goals and the investment strategies that support your goals? Where are we going as investors? What is most important to know or learn? New directions or strategies?
As a long-term investor, I like to know what other investors - particularly younger ones - think. Thanks for reading and responding.
The biggest challenge heading into 2026 is going to be adapting quickly to shifting rates, tighter margins, and finding deals that actually still cash flow instead of just “appreciate on paper.” I think a lot of investors will move away from chasing hype markets and lean more into fundamentals—stable rents, conservative underwriting, and stronger local execution. That’s why you’re seeing more people pivot into Midwest markets, where pricing is still reasonable enough to build real cash flow and scale without overleveraging. Long-term, the winners will be the ones who stay disciplined with numbers and build systems instead of chasing every new trend.
Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, United States · Member since 2021 · 392 posts · 162 votes
3mo
From my end — working in LA/Ventura as both an active investor and agent — the biggest challenge heading into 2026 is the gap between where sellers are priced and what pencils for an investor. Sellers are anchored to 2021-2022 comps or just their own emotional number, and buyers are underwriting at today's rates and today's rents. That gap creates stagnation, not opportunity. The deals that are moving are moving because one of those two sides adjusted.
The secondary challenge for me is access to the right kind of financing. Hard money and DSCR are available but expensive. Conventional is rate-sensitive. The investors winning right now are mostly the ones with existing equity or relationships with portfolio lenders who can be creative on terms. Joseph's point about capital access speed is real — velocity matters when a motivated seller surfaces. If you're starting the financing conversation when the deal appears, you've already lost.
Investor · Hatboro, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 856 votes
3mo
One of the biggest challenges I see today is the sheer number of investment options available. Investors aren't just choosing between single-family and multifamily anymore. They're evaluating syndications, private lending, funds, short-term rentals, and countless other opportunities.
As a co-founder of a co-investing club, I spend a lot of time reviewing deals from operators. Over the years, I've become less focused on chasing the highest possible return and more focused on finding investments that are repeatable, well-underwritten, and fit within a diversified portfolio.
One trend I've noticed is that younger investors seem much more open to exploring different strategies rather than sticking to a single path. That's a good thing, but it also makes learning how to evaluate opportunities critically even more important. Markets will change. Strategies will change. The ability to separate a good investment from a good story is what remains valuable.