Pay off Primary residence, pay off rentals, or buy more?

Pay off Primary residence, pay off rentals, or buy more?

Member since 2023 · 21 posts · 22 votes

Been very torn with is topic. I currently have 3 properties: 1 primary, 1 short term rental, and 1 long term. I want to grow the rental portfolio, but also don't want to be too risky and leveraged. So i was thinking why not pay one off first before buying the next rental.

Primary residence: 6% APR, zero down VA Loan, hardly any equity, highest debt and mortgage.

STR: 5% APR, zero down VA Loan so still not much equity, cash flowing as an Airbnb, second highest loan and mortgage.

LTR: 2.9 % APR as a conventional loan, cash flowing, $120,000 of equity locked up, by far lowest balance loan.

I'm nervous on how leveraged I am, even though properties are cash flowing. I do  have a good paying job that helps me pay my primary residence, but I like to plan for rainy days.

My ultimate goal is have enough rental income to live off of, so I know conventional wisdom says I need to buy more rentals. However, I'm also very tempted to pay off my LTR and own it outright for the peace of mind, and that would in turn make most of the rent income net profits.

On the other hand i read you're better off paying off your primary residence. In my case it's by far my highest loan and highest interest.

Or should I do neither and just buy more? and risk being that much more leveraged? What's everyone doing in today's market?

I know there isn't a one size fits all answer for this, just want to see what others in similar situations have done.

2Reply
206 views

Most Popular Reply

G. Brian DavisPro Member
Investor · Hatboro, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 858 votes
11mo

I agree with @William Whitley, taking on more debt is ok, leverage isn’t necessarily bad as long as the properties cash flow.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • William WhitleyBusiness Member
    Accountant · TN · Member since 2025 · 144 posts · 91 votes
    11mo

    Good afternoon, Carlos,

    I personally wouldn’t pay off the long-term rental. At 2.9%, that’s almost free money, and you’ll likely earn more elsewhere by keeping it financed.

    If you can refinance your primary residence into a lower rate, that would make more sense, but given where rates are right now, that might not be possible.

    I get the concern about being heavily leveraged, but since your rentals are cash flowing, your tenants are effectively covering those mortgages (aside from your primary, of course).

    If you have any credit card or other unsecured debt, I’d prioritize paying that down first, as those carry much higher rates and compound interest.

    If the numbers make sense, adding another property could still be a solid move even if it means taking on more debt. Leverage isn’t necessarily bad as long as cash flow and reserves are strong.

    In the meantime, you might park your rental profits in short-term, liquid investments until the next deal comes along. That keeps your money working without locking it up too early.

    Accountable Balance Bookkeeping, LLC
  • G. Brian DavisPro Member
    Investor · Hatboro, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 858 votes
    11mo

    I agree with @William Whitley, taking on more debt is ok, leverage isn’t necessarily bad as long as the properties cash flow.

  • Specialist · Member since 2025 · 483 posts · 270 votes
    11mo

    You're thinking about it the right way: stabilize first, then scale. Given your mix, I'd keep the 2.9% LTR leveraged and redirect extra cash to build 6–12 months of reserves across all properties, then attack the highest-rate, highest-payment risk next, which is usually the primary; the STR stays if it's reliably cash flowing after reserves and stress tests. If new deals in your buy box still cash flow conservatively with today's rates and taxes, add one, but if not, focus on debt paydown and efficiency until they do. Quick next step: write your buy box, run a worst‑case cash flow on each property, and decide one target to fund monthly until fully reserved.

  • Zack KarpPro Member
    Lender · Schaumburg, IL · Member since 2015 · 833 posts · 774 votes
    11mo

    @Carlos Lopes the short answer...buy more.

    You are very well-leveraged with GOOD debt, not bad debt. All of your debt is 6% or less, and tax-deductible. The rentals cash flow. It's a no brainer IMO, don't pay them off, don't even pay extra principal. Let the tenants pay them off.

    Use your capital to buy more properties. And make sure your cash flow numbers are solid on the new ones too. That's how you will build your empire.

    TYFYS and best of luck!

  • Member since 2022 · 1 post · 0 votes
    11mo

    I'm in a very similar situation and weighing paying off our STR vs mortgaging another STR property. If the cashflow of the current STR just breaks even yearly, meaning no actual profit but the mortgage and expenses are covered, does that change the advice here?

  • Virginia Beach, VA 23452 · Member since 2024 · 88 posts · 14 votes
    11mo

    With a 2.9% loan, I wouldn’t rush to pay off that rental. I’d build strong reserves first, for peace of mind, and then look at the next rental once the safety cushion feels solid. Slow but steady.

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11mo
    Quote from @Carlos Lopes:

    Been very torn with is topic. I currently have 3 properties: 1 primary, 1 short term rental, and 1 long term. I want to grow the rental portfolio, but also don't want to be too risky and leveraged. So i was thinking why not pay one off first before buying the next rental.

    Primary residence: 6% APR, zero down VA Loan, hardly any equity, highest debt and mortgage.

    STR: 5% APR, zero down VA Loan so still not much equity, cash flowing as an Airbnb, second highest loan and mortgage.

    LTR: 2.9 % APR as a conventional loan, cash flowing, $120,000 of equity locked up, by far lowest balance loan.

    I'm nervous on how leveraged I am, even though properties are cash flowing. I do  have a good paying job that helps me pay my primary residence, but I like to plan for rainy days.

    My ultimate goal is have enough rental income to live off of, so I know conventional wisdom says I need to buy more rentals. However, I'm also very tempted to pay off my LTR and own it outright for the peace of mind, and that would in turn make most of the rent income net profits.

    On the other hand i read you're better off paying off your primary residence. In my case it's by far my highest loan and highest interest.

    Or should I do neither and just buy more? and risk being that much more leveraged? What's everyone doing in today's market?

    I know there isn't a one size fits all answer for this, just want to see what others in similar situations have done.


    I get a sense that your in such a state of confusion, that your not even constructing the accurate questions for the places your suffering uncertainty. 

    You already answered the growth question; you want to grow a bigger portfolio. Ok, done, you want to buy. 

    My spiddy-sense say's your real issue is what to buy, when to buy, how to buy, that will work and not burn everything you've built up thus far. 

    Which would make total sense. You got something to loose now. You want to get more, but not at risk of loosing what you got. 

    And I am guessing you feel like getting more requires risking more. Because all you've done thus far is big leverage, so make sense that ya-think all buys are big leverage. Sound about right? 

    If so, here's the "prescription": 

    Focus your time to drafting a viable business plan. And with that business plan, it has a strategic analysis of what a "good buy" looks like. 

    Whatever you got or don't have, start drafting this plan. At each step you find your lacking some info to complete it, GREAT, that's your primary action item #1, finding and obtaining that information. And then move forward to the next blockade, get informed, and so on and so fourth until you have a completed plan. 

    The "cure" for confusion is being informed. A Business Plan is a fundamental NEED item. 

    Now, plan in hand, strategic analysis in hand, it becomes simple action of how do you find those. 

    You won't fear buys because your ONLY going to be buying "right". So each one that lands, it will be excitement, not fear. 

    Fear comes from making random buys, hoping they work out, praying they don't loose money. 

    You don't need to use random acts of hoping. Get STRATEGIC, utilize planning. 

    Failure to plan, is planning to fail. 

    Proper Preparation Prevents Pizz Poor Performance. 

    Be Strategic, take Informed Actions, and success becomes more inevitable than random as an outcome. 

  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10mo

    Zach brought up a good point about focusing on what moves you closer to your long-term goals, and from a tax perspective the way you handle your debt matters more than people realize.

  • Carlos, paying off the LTR feels great, but that is actually your most tax-efficient debt because the interest is deductible and the property is already cash flowing. Paying off your primary gives you the biggest financial win because the interest is higher and you get no real tax benefit from keeping that loan unless you itemize.

    So strictly from a tax angle, the debt you want to keep is the rental debt, and the debt that hurts you the most is the primary residence debt. That means paying off the LTR gives you peace of mind, but it is the least efficient move on paper.

    At the end of the day the numbers are one piece, and your comfort with leverage is the other. Your rentals are cash flowing, so you are not in a bad position. It just comes down to what balance of growth and safety feels right for you.

    Getting tax saving from Rental and using that to payoff debt is smarter way to handle your debt.

INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
TaxMD® | AI-Powered Tax Planning
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.