Before You Rush Into Your Next BRRRR Read This

Before You Rush Into Your Next BRRRR Read This

Stuart UdisPro Member
Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes

I recently came across two posts that couldn’t have been more different. Investor #1 was a seasoned investor who spent two years waiting for the right opportunity to secure land in a high-barrier market. A reminder that real estate investing requires patience and capital discipline. Investor #2 had two BRRRRs under their belt, was actively renovating a third, and expected to be ready for a fourth by May. They were now trying to raise new capital or find a creative strategy to accelerate the timeline and close their fourth by February.

Using Investor #2's own numbers, their cost basis was $260,000 and the property is expected to appraise around $320,000. Using aggressive timeframes to bolster investor #2's side of the argument let's assume they are completing two BRRRR's a year. This equates to roughly $10,000 in equity creation per month (after factoring in refinance and transaction costs). This means $30,000 in additional forced equity a year by accelerating the pace purchasing in February vs. May. That level of forced equity will not materially alter the trajectory of their investment career. Meanwhile, the risk of over-leveraging is one of the fastest ways to end a career before it ever begins. Here's a few tips:

-Moving too fast and over-leveraging makes your entire portfolio vulnerable. One bad deal can drag down everything else you own.

 -Today’s market is far less forgiving on leverage. I’m not even talking about interest rates—lenders already account for current rates when sizing debt. The real issues arise from everything else investors underestimate: increased cap-ex budgets, rising insurance, higher turnover costs & higher vendor pricing. With these realities, a 70% loan-to-value ratio is the new 75% in many markets, and in lower-cost markets with thinner margins, 65% may be the real stress-tested number.

-Execution risk multiplies with every added open project. Renovation delays, refinance delays, unexpected turnovers, or surprise cap-ex items compound when multiple projects are open and capital is constrained.

 -Protect your balance sheet. Credit issues are almost always caused by liquidity issues. Hits to your credit take years to repair, and preserving borrowing capacity is far more valuable than the limited upside created by pushing too aggressively.

    By the time I had a chance to respond to Investor #2’s post, at least five people had already offered ways to secure additional capital or creatively acquire property #4 by February. I can’t guarantee following my advice will turn you into Investor #1, but it will protect your downside and dramatically increase your chances of ending up on that path.

    6Reply
    162 views

    Most Popular Reply

    Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    10mo

    One of the biggest mistakes I see people make is they rush into multiple deals without finishing a deal. So they truly do not know the full cycle of real estate. Even if you do one deal and it does really well that is not an indicator or a future success. The first construction project after college that I managed went really well, and there I am thinking wow this is easy and the next three were extremely complex and made me realize “oh wow this is not as easy as I thought it was”.

    7e investments53 Reviews
    See this reply in the discussion

    4 Replies

    Jump to latestLatest
    • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
      10mo

      One of the biggest mistakes I see people make is they rush into multiple deals without finishing a deal. So they truly do not know the full cycle of real estate. Even if you do one deal and it does really well that is not an indicator or a future success. The first construction project after college that I managed went really well, and there I am thinking wow this is easy and the next three were extremely complex and made me realize “oh wow this is not as easy as I thought it was”.

      7e investments53 Reviews
    • Denise WebsterBusiness Member
      Financial Advisor · Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2014 · 82 posts · 30 votes
      10mo

      Great post — completely agree with your message. A lot of investors get caught up in the "Repeat" part of BRRRR and rush into the next deal before the first one has stabilized.

      Your point about speed being overrated is spot-on. Gaining a little equity by moving faster doesn't matter if it adds unnecessary risk, tighter timelines, or thinner margins. In today's market, underwriting is less forgiving, rehab costs are unpredictable, and lenders are looking harder at DSCR, reserves, and leverage. Moving too fast can stretch an investor thin without realizing it.

      I'd add just a few questions every BRRRR investor should ask before repeating:

      • — Do I have enough margin for delays, cost overruns, or slower lease-up?
      • — Is my refinance realistic, even if rates or underwriting shift?
      • — Am I over-leveraging just to keep momentum going?
      • — Do I have the right contractor/PM systems to scale safely?

      BRRRR still works — it just requires patience, strong numbers, and the right infrastructure. The disciplined investor usually wins over the fast one.

      R.E.P. Financial LLC
    • Dan H.Pro Member
      Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
      10mo

      I am often the contrarian.   Here is a different perspective.


      My value add criteria is the value added is double the cost of the value added and value added has to be at least $50k.

      If his values are correct he is in for $260k for $60k over costs so over $60k of value added (without knowing LL numbers, we do not know how much value was added, but we know it was over $60k. When I do large value adds, I am on site virtually everyday, but when things are running properly I am typically on site less than 1 hour. If things are going well maybe 25 hours per month to make $10k above cost seems worth while to me ($400/hour). In addition, it is not just the $10k return, but at refinance it allows me to minimize my trapped investment in the property. In this case, if we use 75% LTV there is $20k plus refi closing costs trapped in the property. This low amount trapped permits a magnified return on all sources of return going forward.

      If we go with the premise that this brrrr seems pretty good, then it should be no surprise the investor wants to repeat the process as quick as possible.

      Note I am not saying he should take overt risks, but reasonable, calculated risks are what successful investors do regularly.   Many years ago, as fracking was being implemented at various gas fields, I went virtually all in on some mineral rights that were largely valued on their current non fracking extraction.   The first year after fracking was introduced my distribution checks were ~70% of my total investment.   I still am getting checks from this investment (~1.3% of our initial investment monthly).   I figured if fracking did not accelerate production, my investment would be worth near what I paid for it.   If it did what I hoped, I would make a lot of money.   Risk/reward dynamics seemed to favor making the investment.  By the way I told various people of my thoughts, not one chose to invest at that time.   Many years later after fracking was everywhere one of those friends asked if I thought mineral rights were still a good investment and I told him I thought they were priced appropriate for their return and was not an exceptional investment.  This investment seemed obvious to me, but apparently not to my friends.

      So the brrrr investor #2 has 2 brrrrs complete that likely look to produce a good return and a 3rd that likely still looks like it will produce a good return. He likely believes his risk of complete failure is low and worse case scenarios is ARV equals cost basis (so he basically worked for free with possibility of future return on effort). Not a super horrendous worse case scenario but like will impact his ability to continue to scale). The upside is another successful BRRRR.

      If I was starting as a RE investor in this market and had his initial success, I would be eager to scale and get more of these wealth builders started.   

      I regularly see absurd underwriting that depicts a couple hundred per month of cash flow and investors purchase this crud. Or a 1% ratio property in a low rent Midwest market as though that has any chance to make a significant positive impact on anyone's life (accurate underwriting at high LTV will show this to have negative cash flow in a sustained basis).

      Brrrr investor #2 investment (only judging by the numbers provided) looks better than a very large percentage of the investments I see mentioned in these forums.

      Best wishes

    • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
      10mo

      Any amount of forced equity will VERY much materially affect someones investing career, brrr is great for young professionals like myself who are not rich yet and that extra 30k or 50k, etc. makes a big difference when you are young compounding. Most importantly though it allows you to scale as you can re-use the same money over and over again, have the money back to keep in reserves, etc. $30k is small though for a brrr. I have done two brrs both 4 units, the first deal made $180k of equity and the 2nd deal made $60k of equity. The first deal has now appreciated to where I have $450k of equity on a property that I had $0 in after the 2nd year. BRRR is an amazing strategy. I had a 3rd potential BRRR that would of worked 100% out but ended up flipping it, kind of wish had just kept that one as a 3rd BRRR.

    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.