BiggerPockets Traffic is Slowing...

BiggerPockets Traffic is Slowing...

Drew SygitBusiness Member
Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes

Have communicated with a few long-time and active BP members and we're all noticing a slowdown in activity on the Forums.

Saw a report that investors bought just over 10% of Q2 properties sold, down from over 25% last year. 

Many experts are saying that the real estate sales market is "gettng back to normal".

Seems the real estate investment sales market is probably doing the same thing.

What do YOU think?

6Reply
1,624 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Charleston, SC · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10mo

There has been so much trash across the forums over the past few months. I only engage with posts that are legit and meaningful. Im not wasting my time interacting with thinly-veiled, AI generated self-promotion garbage. 

See this reply in the discussion

72 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    10mo

    Spam, AI, and ineffective communicators significantly impact the forum experience.

  • Stuart UdisPro Member
    Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10mo

    The social media guru influence is evident. Influencers are getting in front of investors first, and then investors come to the BP forums looking for validation. You can see it in the expectations and the types of questions that are posted. It does not help that there are now more people on BP who are quicker to validate whatever nonsense these investors believe than to challenge it. Most of the delusional expectations investor posters either disappear or exaggerate their success, which means even the few people who come to BP with realistic expectations end up getting a lot of bad advice.



  • Rental Property Investor · Emmaus, PA · Member since 2021 · 152 posts · 85 votes
    10mo

    It's very possible that number of investors is declining. I know that many people "got into" real estate investing post-COVID because they thought it was easy and a way to get rich quick. 

    I think a majority of these investors soon realized that especially when starting out, investing in real estate is not so easy, not so quick, and therefore not for everyone. 

    Not many people like to spend hundreds of hours learning how to become an expert. Then spending hundreds of hours analyzing thousands of properties just to obtain a handful of properties. Then you throw in the need for funding/financing, managing renovations, and dealing with tenants...I'm not surprised that many new investors decided this wasn't the path for them.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10mo

    I figure now is a good time for me to make a post since it's been quite a while. 

    I will speak of why I pretty much left BP but first want to mention I will always be grateful I stumbled on this site because it got me into investing in real estate. 

    I was on here a lot when I lived in Los Angeles as well as Missouri; most of my properties were and still are located in NW Pennsylvania, so I had more free time to post when I was far away from my properties. 

    When I moved back to Pennsylvania I bought more properties and am much busier (currently rehabbing 2 SFH, a 4 bedroom apt and a 3 bedroom apt).

    Also, the rise of Facebook real estate groups have taken a lot of traffic away from BP. 

    I invest in a town of roughly 90,000 people yet our local Facebook real estate groups as well as our local Apartment Association are both very strong and very good and I spend the little free time I have going to those real estate meetings/events and talking to my fellow landlords in person (there are a lot of folks local to me and there are a good amount of all-stars from all walks of life making it happen in the RE world). 

    Also, and this is just opinion, but way back in the day around 2016-2018 I feel BP was much better - I loved their e-mail style that included the poppin' forum threads as well as the blog articles from guys like Sterling and Brandon, I also liked the Brandon and Josh podcast and the Brandon newbie webinar that occurred weekly (although redundant I rarely missed one). 

    I'll probably post sporadically on these forums when I feel I have some value but I doubt I will like I did previously. Toward the end of when I was last active I would respond to someone's question and some people wouldn't even respond or say thanks. BP also offered zero incentive to the most popular posters; no BP Pro discount, nothing. 

    And I didn't like it when some charlatans came on here simply to hawk their expensive real estate programs and BP would typically delete their posts after we reported them but didn't do much else and that made me not want to be around. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Somewhere over the Rainbow · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10mo

    BP, I feel, is good for starters and possibly networking - but most of the members may own a few rentals over their business lifetime - a lot of members will likely never own one. There's maybe a few that have built something really big that I can think off of the top of my head. 

    RE is fairly difficult to get into for the average person - it takes a lot of time and money in one way or another. So there is a legit barrier to entry. 

    Then - the cashflow has dried up these days - higher insurance prices, higher home prices, higher rates etc. The opportunity is in flipping and equity capture at the buy. Tax deductions can be nice IF you can take them (I have to pass my passive deductions on since I'm not a REP). 

    So there's a small subset of people that real estate investing works for long term - you really have to be 100% in the RE industry to enjoy the full benefits that make it worth it. 

    A lot of the info is the same thing regurgitated over and over. 

    The site just doesn't feel that valuable anymore - I think a lot of the value you can get casually - then you have a fork in the road to go full RE or just use it to diversify your portfolio. For diversification you don't need BP. For full RE local info and networking is probably more valuable. 

    Then a lot of people are just going to move on - I'm just not seeing the value in RE recently. And doing a LTR deal is relatively simple - run the numbers and see where they work then make your offer. The deal either has to be bigger (apartment complex type deal) or a business. If I'm investing for cashflow - why not just run/own a business? LTRs are simply not the way to go. 

    So there's both a high barrier or entry and a realistic lack of value in REI investing right now. Sure there are exceptions, likely for those full time in RE, but for the generality it just doesn't work.

  • Huntsville, AL · Member since 2018 · 577 posts · 864 votes
    10mo

    @Jay Hinrichs - greatly appreciate the opportunity.

    We are likely way too small of an entity for that type of portfolio - the largest portfolio we have ever purchased was 4 SFHs.  

    Additionally, we are not looking at MF in general presently - a duplex, sure;  but anything bigger than a duplex right now would be a pass from us.  MF used to be non-existant here pre-pandemic - now, in 2025, it is overbuilt in Huntsville proper.

    If your client decides to fractionate their portfolio in the future and spin off some of the SFHs, let me know.  

    • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Michael S.:

      @Jay Hinrichs - greatly appreciate the opportunity.

      We are likely way too small of an entity for that type of portfolio - the largest portfolio we have ever purchased was 4 SFHs.  

      Additionally, we are not looking at MF in general presently - a duplex, sure;  but anything bigger than a duplex right now would be a pass from us.  MF used to be non-existant here pre-pandemic - now, in 2025, it is overbuilt in Huntsville proper.

      If your client decides to fractionate their portfolio in the future and spin off some of the SFHs, let me know.  


      its a question you can ask them.. Pm me if you want their E mail.. 
  • Huntsville, AL · Member since 2018 · 577 posts · 864 votes
    10mo

    @Michael Ewers - the MLS locally has been kind of a dichotomy recently for SFHs. For every 10 to 20 listings I see that are overpriced per square foot, there is one that I am like "wait, what?"

    So we lost out on a house in south Huntsville that was way underpriced - it went for almost 15% above list price cash (closing price just posted yesterday).  So even though we went over ask as well, we weren't anticipating someone going 15% above ask with a cash offer.

    The house we have under contract we were able to get for around 10% below the initial asking price, which was a reasonable price to begin with, but they had multiple contracts fall through and were ready to be done with it.  So we offered them an opportunity to unload it knowing we will close if title is clean.  

    I have my eyes on 2 more MLS properties that would be viable options if the prices drop another 5 to 10%. So there are not many options right now on the MLS that work - but the fact that there are ANY options that work at all is a major change.

    • Rental Property Investor · Grapevine, TX · Member since 2020 · 136 posts · 52 votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Michael S.:

      @Michael Ewers - the MLS locally has been kind of a dichotomy recently for SFHs. For every 10 to 20 listings I see that are overpriced per square foot, there is one that I am like "wait, what?"

      So we lost out on a house in south Huntsville that was way underpriced - it went for almost 15% above list price cash (closing price just posted yesterday).  So even though we went over ask as well, we weren't anticipating someone going 15% above ask with a cash offer.

      The house we have under contract we were able to get for around 10% below the initial asking price, which was a reasonable price to begin with, but they had multiple contracts fall through and were ready to be done with it.  So we offered them an opportunity to unload it knowing we will close if title is clean.  

      I have my eyes on 2 more MLS properties that would be viable options if the prices drop another 5 to 10%. So there are not many options right now on the MLS that work - but the fact that there are ANY options that work at all is a major change.


       Great to know! 

  • Melissa HaworthBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · The Panhandle | The Emerald Coast | Panama City Beach | Destin · Member since 2017 · 257 posts · 101 votes
    9mo

    I’ve noticed the slowdown too, both here on the forums and in the investor space in general. It feels like a lot of people are either sitting on the sidelines or shifting strategies. The numbers dropping from 25% to 10% investor activity says a lot. That’s not just a small dip, that’s a pretty big pullback.

    In my corner of the world along the Florida Panhandle, I'm still seeing STR buyers make moves, but it's mostly experienced folks who are playing the long game and know exactly what kind of property they're looking for. The days of "buy anything and it'll cash flow" are definitely behind us.

    I think the idea of the market “getting back to normal” is a bit of a mixed bag. If normal means slower, more stable, and less speculative, I’m all for it. But it also means investors have to get a lot more strategic. Margins are tighter, good deals are harder to come by, and underwriting has to be sharper than ever.

    Curious to see how 2026 plays out. It feels like we’re in a holding pattern, but I don’t think the motivated investor crowd is going anywhere. Just feels quieter right now.

    • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Melissa Haworth:

      I’ve noticed the slowdown too, both here on the forums and in the investor space in general. It feels like a lot of people are either sitting on the sidelines or shifting strategies. The numbers dropping from 25% to 10% investor activity says a lot. That’s not just a small dip, that’s a pretty big pullback.

      In my corner of the world along the Florida Panhandle, I'm still seeing STR buyers make moves, but it's mostly experienced folks who are playing the long game and know exactly what kind of property they're looking for. The days of "buy anything and it'll cash flow" are definitely behind us.

      I think the idea of the market “getting back to normal” is a bit of a mixed bag. If normal means slower, more stable, and less speculative, I’m all for it. But it also means investors have to get a lot more strategic. Margins are tighter, good deals are harder to come by, and underwriting has to be sharper than ever.

      Curious to see how 2026 plays out. It feels like we’re in a holding pattern, but I don’t think the motivated investor crowd is going anywhere. Just feels quieter right now.

      Melissa curious about this different subject but your state.

      Govenor wants to get rid of property tax.. I assume that would only be for owner occ.. is that the case and if so were to they pick up the short fall since there is no state income tax. 

      I think we are seeing this in other areas in reverse like Chicago were so much of the commerical RE has been devalued that tax revenue is way down and the tax's for owner occs in some instance doubled in one year from already high tax rates.. 

      so I was wondering if they did get rid of owner occ tax's would the burden then shift to non owner occ rentals  commerical etc etc ?  U have a thought on this?
    • Melissa HaworthBusiness Member
      Real Estate Agent · The Panhandle | The Emerald Coast | Panama City Beach | Destin · Member since 2017 · 257 posts · 101 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
      Quote from @Melissa Haworth:

      I’ve noticed the slowdown too, both here on the forums and in the investor space in general. It feels like a lot of people are either sitting on the sidelines or shifting strategies. The numbers dropping from 25% to 10% investor activity says a lot. That’s not just a small dip, that’s a pretty big pullback.

      In my corner of the world along the Florida Panhandle, I'm still seeing STR buyers make moves, but it's mostly experienced folks who are playing the long game and know exactly what kind of property they're looking for. The days of "buy anything and it'll cash flow" are definitely behind us.

      I think the idea of the market “getting back to normal” is a bit of a mixed bag. If normal means slower, more stable, and less speculative, I’m all for it. But it also means investors have to get a lot more strategic. Margins are tighter, good deals are harder to come by, and underwriting has to be sharper than ever.

      Curious to see how 2026 plays out. It feels like we’re in a holding pattern, but I don’t think the motivated investor crowd is going anywhere. Just feels quieter right now.

      Melissa curious about this different subject but your state.

      Govenor wants to get rid of property tax.. I assume that would only be for owner occ.. is that the case and if so were to they pick up the short fall since there is no state income tax. 

      I think we are seeing this in other areas in reverse like Chicago were so much of the commerical RE has been devalued that tax revenue is way down and the tax's for owner occs in some instance doubled in one year from already high tax rates.. 

      so I was wondering if they did get rid of owner occ tax's would the burden then shift to non owner occ rentals  commerical etc etc ?  U have a thought on this?

       Florida’s plan targets owner-occupied homesteads. If those taxes go to zero, locals still need money, so unless the state fully replaces it, taxes likely rise on rentals/commercial or sales taxes go up. Chicago is the reverse example: when one base drops, the other pays more.

    • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Melissa Haworth:
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
      Quote from @Melissa Haworth:

      I’ve noticed the slowdown too, both here on the forums and in the investor space in general. It feels like a lot of people are either sitting on the sidelines or shifting strategies. The numbers dropping from 25% to 10% investor activity says a lot. That’s not just a small dip, that’s a pretty big pullback.

      In my corner of the world along the Florida Panhandle, I'm still seeing STR buyers make moves, but it's mostly experienced folks who are playing the long game and know exactly what kind of property they're looking for. The days of "buy anything and it'll cash flow" are definitely behind us.

      I think the idea of the market “getting back to normal” is a bit of a mixed bag. If normal means slower, more stable, and less speculative, I’m all for it. But it also means investors have to get a lot more strategic. Margins are tighter, good deals are harder to come by, and underwriting has to be sharper than ever.

      Curious to see how 2026 plays out. It feels like we’re in a holding pattern, but I don’t think the motivated investor crowd is going anywhere. Just feels quieter right now.

      Melissa curious about this different subject but your state.

      Govenor wants to get rid of property tax.. I assume that would only be for owner occ.. is that the case and if so were to they pick up the short fall since there is no state income tax. 

      I think we are seeing this in other areas in reverse like Chicago were so much of the commerical RE has been devalued that tax revenue is way down and the tax's for owner occs in some instance doubled in one year from already high tax rates.. 

      so I was wondering if they did get rid of owner occ tax's would the burden then shift to non owner occ rentals  commerical etc etc ?  U have a thought on this?

       Florida’s plan targets owner-occupied homesteads. If those taxes go to zero, locals still need money, so unless the state fully replaces it, taxes likely rise on rentals/commercial or sales taxes go up. Chicago is the reverse example: when one base drops, the other pays more.


      yup thats my thought landlords in FLA would get hosed big time  with insurance the way it is and if tax's double.. ouch.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.