Thoughts on off-market deal pricing in Texas?

Thoughts on off-market deal pricing in Texas?

Investor · Denton, TX · Member since 2025 · 8 posts · 3 votes

Anyone else noticing more off-market deals in TX coming back with unrealistic pricing? I’ve passed on a few recently that just didn’t work, unless rents or ARVs stretched. How are your underwriting right now?

1Reply
106 views

Most Popular Reply

Bo SmithPro Member
Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
7mo

Been seeing this too. I started pulling rent comps from 3 sources instead of one - sometimes there's a decent gap that makes deals work when others walk away with bad data. You cross-checking rents or using just one source?

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Keller, TX · Member since 2019 · 76 posts · 62 votes
    7mo

    I go to local DFW meetups and own property in other states but I do live here now. Ive heard the same sentiment from the meetups. Nothing is truly making sense in our area. Im actually potentially looking at some multifamily in TX or OK soon so Ive just started checking out the numbers myself. I see you are from Denton. I went there 3 years ago or so and did see a decent amount of 4 plex's

  • Diego AlvaradoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Flower Mound, TX · Member since 2016 · 296 posts · 139 votes
    7mo

    Hi @Richard Bell

    While this sentiment is common, I’ve seen this cycle repeat throughout my years in real estate. The current challenge is that many sellers and wholesalers are still pricing based on past growth trends, which no longer align with today’s market reality.

    ​To secure a deal in this environment, volume is essential. Whether I am working on my own deals or for my clients, I prioritize analyzing 20 to 30 properties and submitting offers weekly to find the right opportunity. Success right now requires both patience and a disciplined approach to the numbers.

  • Specialist · Member since 2026 · 53 posts · 25 votes
    7mo

    I’ve been seeing something similar when I run numbers — a lot of off-market pricing only works if assumptions get pushed.

    From how I underwrite, I’ve had to stay more conservative on rents and ARVs, especially with rates where they are. If a deal only pencils with stretched inputs, I usually pass. 

    Curious whether you’re seeing better discipline in specific Texas submarkets, or if you’re starting to look more selectively at other states as well.

  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    7mo

    Been seeing this too. I started pulling rent comps from 3 sources instead of one - sometimes there's a decent gap that makes deals work when others walk away with bad data. You cross-checking rents or using just one source?

  • Member since 2026 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7mo

    DFW has been a tough market to make the numbers work for the last few years, especially last year when the market adjusted. Wholesalers are getting 80% of ARV, great for them, but hard to flip and make a profit. There are some deals out there that people find, you just have to be careful and stick to your numbers and be conservative.

  • Investor · Denton, TX · Member since 2025 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    7mo

    Appreciate all y'alls perspectives!

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 916 votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Richard Bell:

    Anyone else noticing more off-market deals in TX coming back with unrealistic pricing? I’ve passed on a few recently that just didn’t work, unless rents or ARVs stretched. How are your underwriting right now?

     @Richard Bell

    Totally get you, Richard. Texas off-market deals are definitely trending high right now, and it can be tough to find ones that truly pencil without stretching rents or ARVs. If you’re open to out-of-state options, Midwest markets still have undervalued duplexes and small multis where the numbers work from day one. The key is stable neighborhoods, conservative underwriting, and a local team you trust to make sure the deal holds up after closing.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.