Investing Internationally - US & Down Under

Investing Internationally - US & Down Under

Avrom W. SmithPro Member
Real Estate Consultant · Marietta, GA · Member since 2016 · 118 posts · 20 votes

Hey BP Fam, I’m not sure how many views this will get, but I’ll give it a shot. Is anyone actively investing in Australia? I have roots in both countries and wonder if anyone living in the US is buying property in Australia or if any US expats are investing back home. I’m always curious about how people navigate laws and regulations across two countries. If anyone is involved in these situations, let’s connect!

0Reply
77 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mike LambertPro Member
    Investor · The Americas and Europe · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7mo

    I’m Australian and I can tell you that Australia has constantly been one of the most unaffordable countries when it comes to housing. Forget cash flow. People only invest for capital appreciation and negative gearing (creating tax losses). If that’s your game, beat in mind that you’ll need loads of money given the price tags there. And how high prices can further go if anyone guess so I’d only buy for the very long term.

    Hope this helps.

  • Avrom W. SmithPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Consultant · Marietta, GA · Member since 2016 · 118 posts · 20 votes
    7mo

    @Mike Lambert Thanks for the insight and that’s what I’ve heard. I’ve only focused on U.S Real Estate but have always wondered if it was worth investing in Oz. Sounds like for now, I should stay put in the US. Thanks again for the reply. 

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7mo

    If you are a US Citizen, the US has made a great market for investing in general(Stock market and real estate).

    I looked into investing in other countries and unless you are getting a substantial increase in a return but investing in a foreign country, I just don't think its worth it(15%+ annually consistently).

    Some other things to consider when investing in a foreign country
    1) You may have to report your income in both countries - The US and the foriegn country where you have the rental property. Research if there are treaties to avoid double taxation.
    2) You have to worry about what happens to the property in the event you pass away - How do they treat inheritence / inheritence tax

    Best of luck if you do decide to invest in the US.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.