22 Year Old Seeking First Deal: Best Ways to Source Deals?

22 Year Old Seeking First Deal: Best Ways to Source Deals?

Member since 2026 · 2 posts · 5 votes

Hey everyone, my name is Adam. I'm 22 years old and actively trying to close my first real estate investment deal. I've been targeting Baltimore County, MD and have been researching BRRRR and fix and flip as my primary strategies, and have also looked into wholesaling as a way to source deals.

Over the past few months I've been trying different approaches to find my first property: pulling off market leads through PropStream and targeting them through cold calls, looking at auction listings, and getting on wholesaler lists in the area. So far I haven't been able to find something that pencils out, and I'm wondering what methods have actually worked for people here when sourcing their first deal.

For those of you who have invested in Baltimore County specifically, what would you recommend? Are there local meetups, connections, or resources I should know about that would help me get plugged into the market faster?

I'm new to BP and would love to connect with people who are active in the space. If you're open to it, I'd really appreciate the chance to learn from someone who's been through it, whether that's a formal mentorship or just an occasional conversation. Always looking to grow my network and surround myself with people I can learn from.

Thanks in advance.

5Reply
262 views

Most Popular Reply

Robert EllisBusiness Member
Developer · Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3mo
Quote from @Adam Yun:

Hey everyone, my name is Adam. I'm 22 years old and actively trying to close my first real estate investment deal. I've been targeting Baltimore County, MD and have been researching BRRRR and fix and flip as my primary strategies, and have also looked into wholesaling as a way to source deals.

Over the past few months I've been trying different approaches to find my first property: pulling off market leads through PropStream and targeting them through cold calls, looking at auction listings, and getting on wholesaler lists in the area. So far I haven't been able to find something that pencils out, and I'm wondering what methods have actually worked for people here when sourcing their first deal.

For those of you who have invested in Baltimore County specifically, what would you recommend? Are there local meetups, connections, or resources I should know about that would help me get plugged into the market faster?

I'm new to BP and would love to connect with people who are active in the space. If you're open to it, I'd really appreciate the chance to learn from someone who's been through it, whether that's a formal mentorship or just an occasional conversation. Always looking to grow my network and surround myself with people I can learn from.

Thanks in advance.


The part that jumped out at me was that you're already cold calling, pulling lists, watching auctions, and getting on wholesaler lists.

Most people assume their first deal comes from better lead generation.

Mine didn't.

It came from better relationships.

I spent months chasing deals online and competing with everyone looking at the exact same opportunities. Then I started talking to the people who touched properties every day—agents, contractors, property managers, wholesalers, landlords, and probate attorneys.

The quality of opportunities changed almost immediately.

Not because anyone handed me a deal.

Because I started hearing about situations before they became listings.

Looking back, my first purchase happened because of one relationship, not one marketing channel.

The question I'd be asking myself is: of all the people you've met while targeting Baltimore County, who would actually call you first if they found a property that fit your buy box?

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Robert EllisBusiness Member
    Developer · Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3mo
    Quote from @Adam Yun:

    Hey everyone, my name is Adam. I'm 22 years old and actively trying to close my first real estate investment deal. I've been targeting Baltimore County, MD and have been researching BRRRR and fix and flip as my primary strategies, and have also looked into wholesaling as a way to source deals.

    Over the past few months I've been trying different approaches to find my first property: pulling off market leads through PropStream and targeting them through cold calls, looking at auction listings, and getting on wholesaler lists in the area. So far I haven't been able to find something that pencils out, and I'm wondering what methods have actually worked for people here when sourcing their first deal.

    For those of you who have invested in Baltimore County specifically, what would you recommend? Are there local meetups, connections, or resources I should know about that would help me get plugged into the market faster?

    I'm new to BP and would love to connect with people who are active in the space. If you're open to it, I'd really appreciate the chance to learn from someone who's been through it, whether that's a formal mentorship or just an occasional conversation. Always looking to grow my network and surround myself with people I can learn from.

    Thanks in advance.


    The part that jumped out at me was that you're already cold calling, pulling lists, watching auctions, and getting on wholesaler lists.

    Most people assume their first deal comes from better lead generation.

    Mine didn't.

    It came from better relationships.

    I spent months chasing deals online and competing with everyone looking at the exact same opportunities. Then I started talking to the people who touched properties every day—agents, contractors, property managers, wholesalers, landlords, and probate attorneys.

    The quality of opportunities changed almost immediately.

    Not because anyone handed me a deal.

    Because I started hearing about situations before they became listings.

    Looking back, my first purchase happened because of one relationship, not one marketing channel.

    The question I'd be asking myself is: of all the people you've met while targeting Baltimore County, who would actually call you first if they found a property that fit your buy box?

    • Member since 2026 · 2 posts · 5 votes
      3mo
      Quote from @Robert Ellis:
      Quote from @Adam Yun:

      Hey everyone, my name is Adam. I'm 22 years old and actively trying to close my first real estate investment deal. I've been targeting Baltimore County, MD and have been researching BRRRR and fix and flip as my primary strategies, and have also looked into wholesaling as a way to source deals.

      Over the past few months I've been trying different approaches to find my first property: pulling off market leads through PropStream and targeting them through cold calls, looking at auction listings, and getting on wholesaler lists in the area. So far I haven't been able to find something that pencils out, and I'm wondering what methods have actually worked for people here when sourcing their first deal.

      For those of you who have invested in Baltimore County specifically, what would you recommend? Are there local meetups, connections, or resources I should know about that would help me get plugged into the market faster?

      I'm new to BP and would love to connect with people who are active in the space. If you're open to it, I'd really appreciate the chance to learn from someone who's been through it, whether that's a formal mentorship or just an occasional conversation. Always looking to grow my network and surround myself with people I can learn from.

      Thanks in advance.


      The part that jumped out at me was that you're already cold calling, pulling lists, watching auctions, and getting on wholesaler lists.

      Most people assume their first deal comes from better lead generation.

      Mine didn't.

      It came from better relationships.

      I spent months chasing deals online and competing with everyone looking at the exact same opportunities. Then I started talking to the people who touched properties every day—agents, contractors, property managers, wholesalers, landlords, and probate attorneys.

      The quality of opportunities changed almost immediately.

      Not because anyone handed me a deal.

      Because I started hearing about situations before they became listings.

      Looking back, my first purchase happened because of one relationship, not one marketing channel.

      The question I'd be asking myself is: of all the people you've met while targeting Baltimore County, who would actually call you first if they found a property that fit your buy box?

      Hey Robert, really appreciate you taking the time to respond. This is exactly the kind of perspective I needed to hear.

      Your point about competition hit home. I've felt that frustration firsthand. Working through my lead lists, it feels like 99% of the numbers are on the DNC list, which tells me these owners are already getting hammered by other investors pulling the same data. It makes me question whether cold calling is even the right move at this stage, or if I'm just adding to the noise.

      I'd love to understand more about how you built those early relationships. How did you actually get in front of agents, contractors, wholesalers, and attorneys in a way that made them want to bring you deals? Was it just showing up consistently, or was there a specific approach that opened doors faster?

      And for someone just starting out with limited deal history, how do you get people to take you seriously before you've closed anything?

      Any insight you're willing to share would go a long way.



  • G. Brian DavisPro Member
    Investor · Hatboro, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 854 votes
    3mo

    At 22, you’re in a great spot; the key is getting in front of deals and building local connections. In Baltimore County, I’d focus on driving relationships with active investors, wholesalers, and local realtors who know the off-market deals. Meetups, Facebook groups, and investor clubs can speed that up a lot.Keep dialing, keep showing up, and don’t get discouraged if the first few deals don’t pencil. The connections you build now are just as valuable as the deals themselves.

  • Realtor · FL · Member since 2020 · 227 posts · 101 votes
    3mo

    With cold calling getting more difficult, it may be a good idea to even look into door knocking.  I haven't done it myself yet, but have heard some have success.  You may need to master your approach and educate yourself very well on whatever situation you are going after.

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 924 votes
    3mo
    Quote from @Adam Yun:

    Hey everyone, my name is Adam. I'm 22 years old and actively trying to close my first real estate investment deal. I've been targeting Baltimore County, MD and have been researching BRRRR and fix and flip as my primary strategies, and have also looked into wholesaling as a way to source deals.

    Over the past few months I've been trying different approaches to find my first property: pulling off market leads through PropStream and targeting them through cold calls, looking at auction listings, and getting on wholesaler lists in the area. So far I haven't been able to find something that pencils out, and I'm wondering what methods have actually worked for people here when sourcing their first deal.

    For those of you who have invested in Baltimore County specifically, what would you recommend? Are there local meetups, connections, or resources I should know about that would help me get plugged into the market faster?

    I'm new to BP and would love to connect with people who are active in the space. If you're open to it, I'd really appreciate the chance to learn from someone who's been through it, whether that's a formal mentorship or just an occasional conversation. Always looking to grow my network and surround myself with people I can learn from.

    Thanks in advance.



    It sounds like you're doing the right things already. The reality is that finding your first deal is often a numbers game, and most investors underestimate how many leads they need to analyze before finding one that truly works. I'd focus less on adding new lead sources and more on building relationships with wholesalers, agents, contractors, and local investors who see deals before they hit the market. Also, don't get too locked into one area if the numbers aren't working. Many investors your age are finding better BRRRR and value-add opportunities in Midwest markets where acquisition costs are lower, and cash flow is stronger. Keep underwriting deals every day, keep networking, and remember that the skills you're building now will make the first deal, and the next ten, much easier to find.

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 605 votes
    3mo

    @Adam Yun Welcome to the BP community. It sounds like you are taking the right steps. One thing I would suggest is spending less time chasing lists and more time building relationships with local investors, wholesalers and agents who specialize in investment properties. Many first deals come through networking rather than direct marketing. Also, don't force a deal. If the numbers don't work, keep looking. Your first investment should be a good investment, not just your first one.

  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3mo

    Agree with the advice you have received. Since you are just starting out I would try to find a Realtor who is also an investor and works with investors. What area are you considering? Baltimore Co is fairly large and it would be helpful to hone in especially as you search for the local expert to assist. 

  • Member since 2026 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    3mo

    How about just buying leads made for speed to lead? You know, leads that fill out a form, then are fully underwritten with everything you need to make a quick decision, that way being able to call them as soon as they fill out the form?

  • J CastroBusiness Member
    Lender · Florida · Member since 2025 · 684 posts · 245 votes
    3mo

    Hey @Adam Yun, welcome to BP! It sounds like you're taking the right approach by exploring multiple lead sources instead of relying on just one. The reality is that your first deal is often the hardest—not because the opportunities aren't out there, but because you're still building your network and learning how to recognize a good deal quickly.

    One recommendation I'd add is to focus heavily on relationships. Connect with local wholesalers, investor-friendly real estate agents, contractors, property managers, REIA groups, and even hard money lenders. Many of the best opportunities never make it to the MLS and are shared within established investor networks.

    From a financing perspective, I'd also encourage you to get pre-qualified before you find a deal. Knowing exactly what you can borrow and what your financing structure looks like allows you to move quickly when the right opportunity comes along. In competitive markets, speed can be just as important as price.

    Don't get discouraged if the first few months don't produce a deal. Most successful investors analyze dozens—sometimes hundreds—of properties before purchasing their first one. The important thing is to stay consistent and stick to your investment criteria rather than forcing a deal that doesn't make sense.

    If you ever want to run numbers on a BRRRR or fix-and-flip opportunity, we'd be happy to help you evaluate the financing options and provide preliminary loan terms before you make an offer. Best of luck—I have no doubt you'll get your first deal with persistence and the right team around you.

    JCREIG Capital Funding
  • Specialist · NJ · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 650 votes
    3mo

    Be careful in and around baltimore.  Lots of lenders pulled out of there and you will face leverage cuts on loan products so the deals will be more capital intensive.

    At 22, I'd say you have lots to learn, just in terminology, industry standards, process.  Deals cost real money.  The line of people that lost money on deal 1 starts at the north pole and stretches to the south pole.

    Become an expert first, investor second.  Most do it the other way around and pay the price.

  • Wholesaler · Member since 2026 · 15 posts · 4 votes
    3mo

    Start by building relationships with contractors and agents in your target market — people who already have deal flow and just need a buyer. Post in forums like this one with your buy box, you'd be surprised who reaches out.

  • Wholesaler · Member since 2026 · 15 posts · 4 votes
    3mo

    Already commented but worth adding — don't sleep on building relationships with contractors who do full rehabs. They end up with finished product they need to move and most buyers don't think to approach them directly. That's been one of my better channels.

  • Member since 2026 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3mo

    I had success driving for dollars using Deal Machine. I have found wholesale deals literally next door to a house I was rehabbing that I found with Deal Machine. I guarantee you drive by deals every day on your regular routes.

  • Diana KhanPro Member
    Attorney · 10451 Mill Run Cir #755 Owings Mills, MD 21117 · Member since 2024 · 403 posts · 162 votes
    1mo
    Quote from @Adam Yun:

    Hey everyone, my name is Adam. I'm 22 years old and actively trying to close my first real estate investment deal. I've been targeting Baltimore County, MD and have been researching BRRRR and fix and flip as my primary strategies, and have also looked into wholesaling as a way to source deals.

    Over the past few months I've been trying different approaches to find my first property: pulling off market leads through PropStream and targeting them through cold calls, looking at auction listings, and getting on wholesaler lists in the area. So far I haven't been able to find something that pencils out, and I'm wondering what methods have actually worked for people here when sourcing their first deal.

    For those of you who have invested in Baltimore County specifically, what would you recommend? Are there local meetups, connections, or resources I should know about that would help me get plugged into the market faster?

    I'm new to BP and would love to connect with people who are active in the space. If you're open to it, I'd really appreciate the chance to learn from someone who's been through it, whether that's a formal mentorship or just an occasional conversation. Always looking to grow my network and surround myself with people I can learn from.

    Thanks in advance.

    Welcome to BiggerPockets @Adam Yun!

    Since you’ve already tried several ways to find properties, I’d do something a little different. Go back through the deals you passed on and write down exactly why each one didn’t work. Was it the price, rehab cost, rent, financing, or something about the property itself?

    After you do this a few times, you’ll probably start seeing a pattern. That can help you get much clearer on what you should actually be looking for instead of adding another lead source.

    Learning why you say no to a deal can be just as useful as finding one you want to buy. Happy to connect with you here too! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.