Best Washington D.C. neighborhoods for a small studio rental investment

Best Washington D.C. neighborhoods for a small studio rental investment

Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 4 votes

Hi everyone! I own three rental properties in Boston and I’m looking to diversify into Washington, D.C.

My priorities are small studios in neighborhoods with very strong rental demand, reasonable condo fees, and good long-term appreciation.

For those familiar with the D.C. market, which neighborhoods or even specific streets would you focus on? Since I’m an out-of-state investor, I’ll also be relying on professional property management.

Thanks!

1Reply
108 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
3mo
Quote from @Tomas Maira-Litran:

Hi everyone! I own three rental properties in Boston and I’m looking to diversify into Washington, D.C.

My priorities are small studios in neighborhoods with very strong rental demand, reasonable condo fees, and good long-term appreciation.

For those familiar with the D.C. market, which neighborhoods or even specific streets would you focus on? Since I’m an out-of-state investor, I’ll also be relying on professional property management.

Thanks!


 Small studios in DC dont appreciate. I can point to you neighborhoods that appreciate and have them, Logan Circle, Dupont Circle, U St Corridor...but the units themselves likely wont appreciate. 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    3mo
    Quote from @Tomas Maira-Litran:

    Hi everyone! I own three rental properties in Boston and I’m looking to diversify into Washington, D.C.

    My priorities are small studios in neighborhoods with very strong rental demand, reasonable condo fees, and good long-term appreciation.

    For those familiar with the D.C. market, which neighborhoods or even specific streets would you focus on? Since I’m an out-of-state investor, I’ll also be relying on professional property management.

    Thanks!


     Small studios in DC dont appreciate. I can point to you neighborhoods that appreciate and have them, Logan Circle, Dupont Circle, U St Corridor...but the units themselves likely wont appreciate. 

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 931 votes
    3mo
    Quote from @Tomas Maira-Litran:

    Hi everyone! I own three rental properties in Boston and I’m looking to diversify into Washington, D.C.

    My priorities are small studios in neighborhoods with very strong rental demand, reasonable condo fees, and good long-term appreciation.

    For those familiar with the D.C. market, which neighborhoods or even specific streets would you focus on? Since I’m an out-of-state investor, I’ll also be relying on professional property management.

    Thanks!


    DC can definitely work for studios, especially in areas with consistent renter demand, but fees and regulations can really eat into returns if you’re not careful. Since you already own in Boston, you’re probably used to tighter numbers and higher operating costs. It’s also worth comparing that with Midwest markets, where entry prices are lower, and cash flow tends to be stronger, especially for small multifamily instead of condos. For out-of-state investing, the biggest difference maker isn’t just the neighborhood, it’s having a reliable local team that can manage maintenance, leasing, and underwriting assumptions accurately so your projections actually hold up in real life.

  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2mo

    @Tomas Maira-Litran

    As for studio properties, I would look into areas that have consistent renter demand such as Capitol Hill, Navy Yard, Dupont Circle, and certain areas of Logan Circle where vacancies will always remain low. With the fact that you are looking at purchasing a property from outside the state, I would suggest giving as much attention to a good local property manager as you give your investment.

    Good luck!

  • Member since 2026 · 59 posts · 16 votes
    2mo

    Hi Tomas,

    Congratulations on your success in Boston, and best of luck as you expand into D.C.!

    I work with investors on leasing and property management strategies, and D.C. is one of the markets we're actively exploring. I'd love to hear what you're seeing on the ground, compare notes, and bounce around ideas. Looking forward to connecting!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.