Architecture Student in Austin — Looking to Connect with Local Developers & Investors

Architecture Student in Austin — Looking to Connect with Local Developers & Investors

Architect · Austin TX, USA · Member since 2026 · 5 posts · 2 votes

Hey BP! Himeer here — 4th year Architecture student at Syracuse, originally from Austin and back home for the summer.

I'm looking to connect with developers and investors in the Austin area. I want to understand the investor side of real estate better — what makes a property worth acquiring, what renovations actually move the needle on value, and where design fits into that process.

Currently working on a local residential renovation project and have a background in floor plans, space planning, and permit processes.

Not here to sell anything — just want to learn from people in the real estate market and see where our worlds overlap. If you're active in the Austin or Texas market, drop a comment or DM me!

Himeer Jariwala        

0Reply
104 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joseph CacciapagliaBusiness Member
    Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2mo

    I'm in San Antonio. I've found it's difficult to find an architect who thinks like an investor. There is often a tradeoff between "good" design and cost to complete. I've only used architects a few times for my own projects, but interacted with them quite a bit in the past while working with larger developers. I'm not sure I'd have too much insight for you, but would be happy to connect.

    Joseph Cacciapaglia powered by Morty
  • Architect · Austin TX, USA · Member since 2026 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    2mo

    Hey Joseph, really appreciate you taking the time to reply! That tradeoff between good design and cost is exactly what I want to bridge — I’m actively trying to develop my perspective as an architecture student who thinks like an investor, not just a designer. Would love to connect and hear more about your experience working with developers. Always valuable to learn from someone who’s seen both sides of it.

  • Realtor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2023 · 276 posts · 42 votes
    2mo

    Greetings Himeer!
    What makes a property worth acquiring is the spread between price and the After Repair Value, with all things considering rehab scope and necessary closing costs. There is no one-size-fits all for each and every renovation project, but typical renovations I have seen in the past to make renovated properties sell quickly on the market are open floor plans (knocking down some walls) and modernizing bathrooms and kitchens with higher quality grade materials (marble counter tops, trendy vanities, and luxury-like touches to cabinets that present a more minimalistic, contemporary appeal towards today's home buyer. In San Antonio, and I also imagine in several places across Austin, foundation repair is an absolute priority for every project to get the surpass After Repair Values. 


  • Architect · Austin TX, USA · Member since 2026 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    2mo

    Hey Steven, really appreciate the detailed response! The ARV spread framework makes a lot of sense — and it's interesting how open floor plans and kitchen/bath upgrades consistently move the needle on value. As an architecture student that's exactly the kind of design-meets-investment thinking I'm trying to develop. Would love to connect and learn more from your experience in the San Antonio and Austin markets!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.