How can I make my offers stronger without waiving inspections?

How can I make my offers stronger without waiving inspections?

Kenadi DefioPro Member
New to Real Estate · Wilkes-Barre/Scranton PA · Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 6 votes

Hi! I’m reaching out for some advice on how I can make my offers more attractive without completely waiving inspections.

I’m a newer investor in Northeast PA and this would be my second deal. I’ve been looking mostly at older duplexes in the $250k–$300k range, and there seems to be a lot of competition for them.

I’m using conventional financing, have my pre-approval ready to go, and have been trying to strengthen my offers in other ways with a quick/flexible closing, solid earnest money, etc. But it seems like the offers beating mine are waiving inspections.

Being newer to investing, I’m just not comfortable completely waiving inspections on these older properties. Does anyone have any suggestions for other ways I could make my offer more attractive to a seller? Or maybe ways to structure the inspection contingency differently so I’m still protected but the offer is more competitive?

0Reply
364 views

Most Popular Reply

Bruce WoodruffPro Member
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
1mo

1) You need an experienced GC to walk the property with you before submitting your offer. They will look only for serious issues (which is all you should care about anyway)

2) You can bump up your offer price a little (if you can still make the numbers work?)

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    1mo

    1) You need an experienced GC to walk the property with you before submitting your offer. They will look only for serious issues (which is all you should care about anyway)

    2) You can bump up your offer price a little (if you can still make the numbers work?)

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    1mo

    @Kenadi Defio I would definitely not waive inspections, especially on older homes. You can make the offer more competitive by shortening the inspection period, increasing earnest money, offering flexible closing terms or limiting inspection requests to major structural, safety or mechanical issues. 

  • Investor · Pacific Northwest · Member since 2026 · 538 posts · 304 votes
    1mo

    I wouldn’t waive inspections on an older Northeast PA duplex just to win the deal.

    I’d make the inspection contingency less annoying to the seller.

    That’s a different objective.

    What sellers usually dislike isn’t the fact that you’re going to inspect the building. It’s the uncertainty that comes with it. They accept your offer, take the property off the market, and then wonder whether five days later you’re going to hand them a 47-item report and ask for $28,000.

    So I’d try to remove that uncertainty without removing my ability to discover something genuinely ugly.

    One way is a very short inspection period. If everyone else wants 10–14 days and you can get your inspector, sewer contractor, electrician or whoever you need through the property in 3–5 days, that has real value to a seller.

    Another is effectively saying:

    I’m buying the property as-is and I’m not going to nickel-and-dime you over normal old-house stuff. I just need the right to walk away if I discover something material.

    That can be structured much more attractively than “inspection contingency with unlimited renegotiation.”

    Depending on how your agent/attorney structures the agreement, you might limit your ability to request repairs or credits below a certain threshold while preserving your right to terminate over a major defect.

    For example, I personally wouldn’t want to blow up a $285k duplex because the inspector found $1,200 worth of outlets, handrails and plumbing repairs.

    But if the sewer lateral is collapsed, the foundation is moving, the roof needs immediate replacement, half the electrical system was installed by somebody’s cousin, or one of the “units” isn’t actually legal, I want an exit.

    Those are completely different categories of risk.

    And with the older duplex stock you’re looking at, there are a few things I would be especially reluctant to waive blindly.

    I’d want to understand the sewer line, electrical service and panels, roof, foundation/basement water, heating systems, plumbing material, evidence of buried oil tanks where relevant, and whether the property really is a legal two-unit with the utility arrangement you think you’re buying.

    A $300 inspection is not what protects you.

    Finding the $30,000 problem before you own it is what protects you.

    If competition is extremely tight, another option is a pre-inspection before submitting the offer, assuming the seller allows access and the timing works.

    You spend the inspection money without knowing whether you’ll win the property, which hurts.

    But if the building checks out, you can then submit a much cleaner offer because you’ve already answered many of your own questions.

    I’d rather occasionally lose $500 on a pre-inspection than win a $290,000 building by agreeing not to look at it.

    You can also strengthen the rest of the offer so the seller doesn’t have to choose you based solely on inspection language.

    Have a fully underwritten or very strong preapproval if your lender offers it. Make sure your lender can actually perform on the timeline you promise. Use meaningful earnest money. Be flexible on settlement or possession if the seller needs it. Don’t ask for personal property and seventeen little concessions that don’t matter to you. Submit clean paperwork and respond quickly.

    In other words, make yourself look like the buyer who is extremely likely to close.

    That is often what the seller actually wants.

    I also think newer investors sometimes make a mistake here because they assume the winning offer is automatically the best offer.

    It isn’t.

    If somebody else is willing to buy a 100-year-old duplex with no meaningful due diligence, let them.

    You are not trying to win every property.

    You are trying to buy a property where the unknown risks are appropriate for the return you’re getting.

    There is a purchase price at which I’ll tolerate more risk.

    There is a purchase price at which I’ll tolerate less.

    But I wouldn’t let competition turn a risk I don’t understand into a risk I pretend doesn’t exist.

    Especially on deal #2.

    The goal isn’t to write the strongest offer in the pile.

    It’s to write the strongest offer you’ll still be happy you wrote six months after closing.

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 924 votes
    1mo
    Quote from @Kenadi Defio:

    Hi! I’m reaching out for some advice on how I can make my offers more attractive without completely waiving inspections.

    I’m a newer investor in Northeast PA and this would be my second deal. I’ve been looking mostly at older duplexes in the $250k–$300k range, and there seems to be a lot of competition for them.

    I’m using conventional financing, have my pre-approval ready to go, and have been trying to strengthen my offers in other ways with a quick/flexible closing, solid earnest money, etc. But it seems like the offers beating mine are waiving inspections.

    Being newer to investing, I’m just not comfortable completely waiving inspections on these older properties. Does anyone have any suggestions for other ways I could make my offer more attractive to a seller? Or maybe ways to structure the inspection contingency differently so I’m still protected but the offer is more competitive?

    I wouldn’t waive inspections on an older duplex just to win the deal. You can still make the offer stronger with a shorter inspection window, a clear repair threshold, higher earnest money, and a closing date that works for the seller. Also, don’t overlook out-of-state markets. I’d compare some Midwest markets where the lower price points can make it easier to find deals without stretching your budget. The key is protecting yourself while making the offer clean and easy for the seller.

  • Rob LawrenceBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · West Chester, PA · Member since 2017 · 266 posts · 94 votes
    1mo

    I am an agent that does a lot of deals like this.  Good to have inspections elected, and then tell the seller that you would only consider items over a certain value.  Meaning, "no items under $5,000 would be a concern"  or however you want to word it.  Walking with a contractor, or using a realtor with contracting experience can help.  Best if you can find one of those up there.  When making the deals, you should sort of know what you are in for before the inspection even happens.  Like if you know you need to replace the wiring, or the kitchen, you have to price that going in.

  • Diana KhanPro Member
    Attorney · 10451 Mill Run Cir #755 Owings Mills, MD 21117 · Member since 2024 · 403 posts · 162 votes
    1mo

    @Kenadi Defio, I’d look for ways to make the seller’s decision easier without taking on a risk you’re not comfortable with. Before writing the offer, have your agent find out what matters most to the seller besides price. Sometimes it’s the closing date, fewer moving pieces, a larger deposit, or simply knowing they have a buyer who is prepared and likely to close.

    Especially on an older duplex, I’d rather make the rest of the offer strong than give up the chance to understand what I’m buying. You don’t have to win by taking the biggest risk.

  • Rental Property Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 971 votes
    1mo

    Here are seven proven levers you can mix‑and‑match to make your purchase offer stand out - ranked roughly from “easiest to sprinkle in” to “heaviest lift, but most persuasive.” Use only what feels safe for your risk tolerance, financing constraints, and market norms.

    1. Use hard calculated offer numbers (e.g. $252,184, never round numbers 250,000) – another reason to offer odd numbers ($401,720) so yours rises above the psychological round‑number cluster.

    2. Tighten up contingencies

    Inspection - reduce it to 3–5 days, or a “pass⁠/⁠fail only” (no repair requests) -  it signals confidence in the property and reduces seller headache.

    Financing - shorten to 14‑21 days if your lender can move fast, or submit a full under‑write before offering (“credit‑approved”) - shows you’re not window‑shopping; funds are lined up. Best if buying with cash (is king).

    Appraisal - shorten to 10‑14 days, or waive part of any shortfall (e.g., “will cover up to $10 k if appraisal is low”), or appraisal all together (if buying with cash) - lets the seller sleep easier about financing surprises.

    Pro move: Keep a “walk‑away” clause - you can still exit for major surprises - but signal you won’t nickel‑and‑dime ordinary findings.

    3. Sweeten the earnest‑money deposit

    • Raise the amount. In many markets, 1 % of purchase price is standard; 2‑3 % tells the seller you’re serious.

    • Make some (or all) non‑refundable after the inspection period. The seller leaves the market for you - compensate their risk.

    4. Offer flexible closing logistics

    • Closing date of the seller’s choice. If they need to relocate kids by end‑of‑semester, mirror that.

    • Post‑closing lease‑back option. “We’ll close fast (cash ready in 14 days), then rent the home back to you for up to 60 days at $1.00/day.” Great for sellers who haven’t found their next place yet. [Tip: Ask for substantial deposit to be held as closing, e.g. $5K, contingent on move out at the end of lease-back period]

    5. Show the money - early

    1. Cash is king – look into LOC, ABLOC, HELOC, PML, HML

    2. Proof‑of‑funds letter (for cash) or desktop‑underwritten pre‑approval (for loans).

    3. Bank statement redacted to verify down‑payment cash.

    4. Hard‑money or DSCR lender? Submit term sheet + contact info so the listing agent can call the lender directly.

    6. Reduce seller costs

    • Pay all title and escrow fees (normally split 50/50).

    • Cover transfer taxes or HOA doc fees. [Tip: except HOA past dues or liens]

    • Offer to purchase “as‑is” while still preserving your inspection opt‑out right. You’re promising not to request repairs, only credits if something catastrophic appears.

    7. Add a personal (yet professional) touch -

    A concise cover letter, one page max, that:

    1. Addresses the seller by name.

    2. States what you love about the home (its care, the neighborhood).

    3. Confirms you can perform (“We own four rentals and close on time”).

    Consider strategic pricing tactics

    Multiple offers expected - include an Escalation clause: “Buyer will beat highest bona‑fide offer by $2 k, not to exceed $X.”

    Slow‑moving listing - place a Short‑fuse offer: "Full‑price but expires in 24 hrs." - Forces a decision before weekend showings.

    Putting it together - Example bundle for a standard financed deal (buy‑and‑hold):

    • Price: $385,750 (just above $385 k asking).
    • EM deposit: 3 % ($11,572), non‑refundable after 5‑day inspection.
    • Contingencies: 5‑day inspection, 14‑day appraisal with buyer covering first $7 k gap, 18‑day loan.
    • Close in 30 days or seller’s choice up to 45 days; lease‑back allowed for 30 days at $1/day.
    • Buyer pays all title + escrow.
    • Documents attached: underwriter approval (UW #12345), proof of funds screenshot, lender contact.
    • Cover letter: thank‑you note stressing smooth closings on prior 6 rentals.

     Actual used sample: 

    Checklist before you send

    ·         Have lender/escrow reviewed timeline promises?

    ·         Will higher EM or cost absorption break your cash‑on‑cash goals?

    ·         Does local law restrict love letters or lease‑backs? (e.g., Oregon’s SB‑619)

    · For BRRR deals: still room for post‑rehab refinance?

    Deploy the pieces that preserve your downside but speak to certainty, speed, and ease - the three things every seller values most.

  • Coral Springs, FL · Member since 2018 · 468 posts · 101 votes
    1mo

    All the advice above is solid for competing on the MLS. But I want to challenge the premise a little: if you're a newer investor losing bidding wars because you won't waive inspections, maybe the problem isn't your offer structure — it's the arena you're competing in.

    On the MLS, you're competing against buyers who can afford to waive inspections because they have the experience (or the contractor relationships) to price in risk without one. As a newer investor with one deal under your belt, that's an uncomfortable edge to give up. You're being asked to take on risk that more experienced investors are comfortable pricing — and that's a losing game on deal #2.

    There's an acquisition strategy where inspections are irrelevant because the discount itself is your protection: tax deed auctions.

    At a tax deed auction, you're buying properties where the previous owner failed to pay property taxes. The county sells the deed at public auction. There are no inspections (you typically can't go inside before bidding), no lender requirements, no appraisal contingencies, no seller negotiations. You bid, you win, you close — usually in 30 days or less.

    The reason this works for investors who don't want inspection risk: you're acquiring at 50-70% of assessed value. If a property assesses at $400K and you acquire it for $240K, that $160K spread absorbs a LOT of unknowns — including any rehab surprises you would have discovered in an inspection.

    For example, Broward County (Fort Lauderdale area) has Auction #113 coming up October 26 with 16 properties. The winning bids on comparable properties in prior auctions have ranged from $100K-$350K. With your $250K-$300K budget, you'd be competitive on several properties in a market where median home values are $450K+.

    The tradeoff: you need 100% cash (no financing at auctions), you typically can't inspect inside before bidding, and you're buying sight-unseen. But the acquisition discount means you're not betting on the property being perfect — you're betting that even with worst-case rehab, your total investment is still well below market value.

    For a newer investor uncomfortable with inspection contingencies on the MLS, the auction path removes the entire negotiation game. No competing offers, no waiving anything, no seller choosing between you and someone else. You either win the bid at your price or you don't.

    Worth researching whether Pennsylvania has tax deed or tax lien sales — every state has them, and the process varies by county. If nothing else, understanding the auction path gives you an alternative to the MLS competition that's frustrating you right now.

  • Rob LawrenceBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · West Chester, PA · Member since 2017 · 266 posts · 94 votes
    1mo

    Are people just using AI to write these giant, long-winded post replies?  Seems like it to me

    • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
      Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
      1mo

      Yep, it sure looks like it. I don't see the point.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.