Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 29 votes
3w
Hi Linda - I am going to answer this slightly differently. Look at it as the number of these variables you are willing to put up with. 10 years ago with low interest rates, I would take on a challenging property - many repairs, high due diligence risk, insurance / flood zone, taxes needed appeal, etc. Now since money is more expensive, I would not want to deal with more than one or two of the considerations you mention.
Another way to look at this is, with all these considerations, if you still have conservative cashflow, then it's a good deal, does not matter as much how the ratio of expenses is broken up.
Also, I would not feel bad walking away from deals in 2026, wait till one makes you comfortable "enough".
Coral Springs, FL · Member since 2018 · 468 posts · 98 votes
2w
Hi Linda, great question. I buy at county tax deed auctions in Florida, so my version of "walking away" happens a little differently than a traditional rental buyer.
At auction, you have minutes to decide. You've done your research beforehand — you know the assessed value, the starting bid, the estimated rehab costs. But when the bidding starts and the price climbs past your max number, you just stop bidding. No second-guessing, no emotional attachment. The next property is already on the block.
The biggest reason I've walked away from properties at auction is when the competitive bidding pushes the price past where the numbers work. It's tempting to keep going when you've spent hours researching a property, but I've seen too many investors overpay because they fell in love with a specific deal. At an auction, discipline is everything.
For conventional rental deals, the number one thing that makes me walk away is when the cash flow only works if you assume zero vacancy and zero maintenance. I've run the numbers on properties where the rent looks great on paper, but once you factor in 8% vacancy, a property management fee, and a maintenance reserve, the cash flow disappears. Those are the deals where you're basically working for free until something breaks — and something always breaks.
Eric's point about risk tolerance is spot on. In 2026 with insurance costs in Florida the way they are, a property that looked like a slam dunk two years ago might not pencil out today. The key is being honest with yourself about what the numbers actually say, not what you want them to say.