First Time Landlord — What Paperwork and Licenses Do I Need Before Renting My First

First Time Landlord — What Paperwork and Licenses Do I Need Before Renting My First

Member since 2026 · 10 posts · 2 votes

Hey BiggerPockets community,

I'm house hacking a 2-4 unit multifamily property
using a VA loan — I'll live in one unit and
rent the others.

My property management LLC (ALTŌRA Property
Management LLC) will handle all the day to day
operations — rent collection, leases,
tenant communication.

My duty station is not confirmed yet so I don't
know which state I'll be buying in.

But I want to be prepared ahead of time so
the moment I know my location I can move fast
and do everything legally and correctly.

───────────────────────────────────────
MY QUESTIONS:
───────────────────────────────────────

1. Before I rent out my first unit —
   what registrations or licenses do I
   typically need to get?

   Is it just a city rental license or
   are there county and state level
   registrations too?

2. Do I need any kind of inspection done
   on the property before tenants move in?
   Who orders that — me or the city?

3. Since I'll be living in one of the units
   (house hacking) — does that change any
   of the requirements compared to a landlord
   who doesn't live on the property?

4. My LLC is currently registered in Florida.
   If I end up buying in a different state —
   do I need to re-register the LLC there too
   or can I operate with the Florida registration?

5. Is there a general checklist you wish
   you had when you rented your first unit?

Background:
→ Active duty military — PCS orders pending
→ First rental property
→ House hacking a 2-4 unit multifamily
→ Wife runs the property management LLC
→ Want to do everything by the book
   from day one

I know requirements vary by location —
even general guidance from experienced
landlords would help me know what to
look for once my state is confirmed.

Thank you in advance

0Reply
224 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael K GallagherBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2w

    not sure what your local rules and regulations are but at least in my experience you are likely overcomplicating things by having a manager involved. You can likely find what you need here or in a $200 meeting with a local real estate lawyer. with your life experience you are well setup to handle it, and really as long as you have a list of vendors and service providers ready to go that's all you need after the initial tenant placement. And tenant placement is easy, just actually bother to meet them first, shake their hand, feel em out, and verify the app diligently.

    The lessons you'll learn doing this first one yourself will pay dividends in the long run when and if you scale and do need a manager. There is always managing the manager involved and if you generally know what it takes to get the building leased up you'll be hard to pull one over on.

  • Real Estate Broker · Northeast PA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2w

    Speak to several property management companies. Get their rent-up prep list, screening criteria, copy of lease to compare, etc. Review the permit/zoning office regs, and rental registration requirements in the municipality you'll be investing in.

    Many of your questions are tied directly to the (as-yet unknown) municipality, however, when you decide on the state you must read and understand the state's landlord/tenant regulations. Also, study and know by heart the HUD housing laws.

    I agree with @Michael K Gallagher -- do the first one or two yourself, so you'll understand the entire process. If you need additional guidance, dm me.

  • Member since 2026 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    2w

    Thank so much. I appreciate your comments, if I have any doubts I will message you privately about my first time journey in real state.  

  • Coral Springs, FL · Member since 2018 · 468 posts · 101 votes
    2w

    On the LLC question (number 4) - if your Florida LLC owns property in another state, you'll need to foreign-register it there. Every state has a process for this, usually through the secretary of state's office. Some states charge a few hundred bucks, others are cheaper. Don't try to operate with just the FL registration or you could lose liability protection.

    Different angle from most people here - I buy properties at tax deed auctions in Broward County, FL. The paperwork situation is totally different from what you're dealing with. At auction you get a certificate, then have to go through a quiet title action (usually 6-12 months) before you can legally sell or sometimes even rent. So my timeline from "purchase" to "tenant in the door" is way longer than yours will be.

    For your situation with the VA loan and house hacking, you're actually in a better spot than most first-time landlords. You'll be living there, so you'll catch maintenance issues early and build relationships with the tenants directly. The property management LLC your wife runs can handle the paperwork side while you handle the property side.

    Good luck with the PCS orders. Military investors have a real advantage with the VA loan - just make sure you understand the occupancy requirements before you rent out the other units.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.