Insurance recommendations for wholesaler prehabbing a property

Insurance recommendations for wholesaler prehabbing a property

Wholesaler · Marietta, GA · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 0 votes

Hi everyone.  I appreciate your time reading this and throwing me any information you might have that could help me with an insurance question.

As new investors, my husband and I are close to closing on our first property, a condemned home that is going to need full rehab.  We plan to sell it to a rehabber, and at most we will clean it out and perhaps do a very light pre-hab.  We're too new to try to tackle an actual flip.  I have been talking to a few insurance companies about our options for covering this property and I have gotten some really confusing responses.  The home, obviously, is not occupied.  It's also very small (about 970 sq ft) and therefore very inexpensive for us to purchase.  

That's all good and well, but the most recent agent I spoke with told me "it's too small and too low-cost to insure with ANY type of policy."  I kind of find that hard to believe, and that answer seems weird to me, but that's why I'm putting the question out there for more experienced people to help me out. 

I will continue doing my homework (not asking for a free ride!), but I was hoping someone out there could point me in the right direction with different types of policies for this type of property and our exit strategy.

Thanks a lot!  

0Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
12y

Try the company in @Tim Norris 's profile;  they offer monthly premiums for builders risk and vacant policies.  Other companies often want several months earned even if you cancel early (because it is just as much work for them to cover you for one month or three, so they want some profit out of it by making these short term type policies non-refundable).

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Canton-Akron, OH · Member since 2012 · 917 posts · 477 votes
    12y

    Couple options for vacant properties, we insure all ours through travelers insurance, at very reasonable prices. 

    I know a couple rehabbers who insure through auto owners.... find a good independent agent who writes through multiple companies and odds are they can hook you up. ... or google the above companies and find a local agent. 

    Good luck

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    12y

    Look for a Builders Risk policy.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    12y

    Try the company in @Tim Norris 's profile;  they offer monthly premiums for builders risk and vacant policies.  Other companies often want several months earned even if you cancel early (because it is just as much work for them to cover you for one month or three, so they want some profit out of it by making these short term type policies non-refundable).

  • Wholesaler · Marietta, GA · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    Thank you all for your input.  I followed up on several of the insurance companies you all recommended, and it looks like the best option for us is a general property liability policy. So a piece of advice to any new investors who think a condemned property is a sure thing:  do your homework BEFORE you get it under contract!  The insurance issue is the least of our roadblocks!

  • Investor · Taylorsville, GA · Member since 2014 · 352 posts · 540 votes
    11y

    Hey, @Jennifer C..  I just came across your post and I was wondering how your prehab/wholesale went?  

    BTW, I'm just up the road from you in Kennesaw.  :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.