• Investor
  • Bayside, NY
Votes |
Property management company asking for my social security number

Raj S.
  • Investor
  • Bayside, NY
Posted Dec 9 2014, 10:52

I own properties in Nevada, and more recently I purchased my first property in Indiana.  Is it normal for a property manager to ask for your social security number?  Back when I purchased my first few properties in Nevada, I hesitantly provided my property manager with my social security number (I say hesitantly because I'm always thinking about the risks of giving out my personal information such as identity theft, etc).  Now that I purchased a property in Indiana, I had to find a new property manager, and once again I'm being asked for my social security number.  All of my properties are financed personally, with title on my name (with an umbrella policy of course). 

My other question is whenther the property manager is supposed to issue a 1099 for your GROSS rental income before they deduct their fees and other expenses?  Or is the 1099 supposed to be for the NET rental income you received after deducting fees and other expenses?  Now that I'm dealing with more than one property manager in more than one state, I'm getting different information.  Any information/advice would be helpful.  Thanks

Loading replies...