investing in low value property

investing in low value property

Real Estate Investor · Leesville , SC · Member since 2008 · 4 posts · 0 votes

Does anyone invest in the low valve properties anymore?Looking for the pros & cons.
Thanks,LC

0Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Loveland, CO · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 123 votes
18y

Tim is onto the real deal. I used to get accused of "picking nickels out of horse**** while wearing boxing gloves" by some of my "smart" (ie;employed by Fortune 100 employer) friends.

I always told them; "I get love at home, I do this for MONEY".

I once met a guy on a SFO-DFW flight who was making his monthly trip to the Dallas area to "manage" his rental properties. It turned out his rental properties were about 4 small strip centers in "not great" parts of town. Each had a package store, check cashing spot, beuaty/nail place etc-you get the idea.

Anyway he'd fly down once a month, drive his rental to his bank and get his 9MM out of his safety deposit box, go collect all his rent, ALWAYS ALL PAID IN CASH, OFTEN IN SMALL BILLS. Go to the bank and make his deposit and fly back to San Francisco. He had bought these places in the '80s downturn in TX and was minting money on them.

I'm sure most of his neighbors thought he was just an "ordinary businessman".

Schweeeeeet!

all cash

See this reply in the discussion

38 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    Do you mean low valve or low value?

    I invest in low "price point" properties that have a very high value to me. I'm out the door at about $8-10,000 per house after closing and repairs, get $500-$700 a month in rent and they appraise out at $50,000 per house. The multis are generally about the same per unit except the appraisal generally runs $30,000 per unit. I'm not smart enough to make overpriced property cash flow well. :wink: Also, I really don't learn much or do much else beyond this. Don't need to. Don't want to.

  • Real Estate Investor · London · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 74 votes
    18y

    Tim,

    Focusing on a repeatable and profitable process. The secret of most business success. Well done.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    Thank you John. It's what my dad's done for 20 years and it's working pretty well for him.

  • Loveland, CO · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 123 votes
    18y

    Tim is onto the real deal. I used to get accused of "picking nickels out of horse**** while wearing boxing gloves" by some of my "smart" (ie;employed by Fortune 100 employer) friends.

    I always told them; "I get love at home, I do this for MONEY".

    I once met a guy on a SFO-DFW flight who was making his monthly trip to the Dallas area to "manage" his rental properties. It turned out his rental properties were about 4 small strip centers in "not great" parts of town. Each had a package store, check cashing spot, beuaty/nail place etc-you get the idea.

    Anyway he'd fly down once a month, drive his rental to his bank and get his 9MM out of his safety deposit box, go collect all his rent, ALWAYS ALL PAID IN CASH, OFTEN IN SMALL BILLS. Go to the bank and make his deposit and fly back to San Francisco. He had bought these places in the '80s downturn in TX and was minting money on them.

    I'm sure most of his neighbors thought he was just an "ordinary businessman".

    Schweeeeeet!

    all cash

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "all_cash":

    Anyway he'd fly down once a month, drive his rental to his bank and get his 9MM out of his safety deposit box, go collect all his rent, ALWAYS ALL PAID IN CASH, OFTEN IN SMALL BILLS. Go to the bank and make his deposit and fly back to San Francisco. He had bought these places in the '80s downturn in TX and was minting money on them. I'm sure most of his neighbors thought he was just an "ordinary businessman".

    Sounds like my kind of guy. :D

  • Pineville, LA · Member since 2008 · 27 posts · 2 votes
    18y

    Tim

    Are you saying you focus on those "bad area" rentals? I have an acquantance that wants to get out of the rental business because he's tired of it. Should I look into this?

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    No, it's not bad areas. My areas are actually quite nice and a lot safer than Chicago. It's areas where people are predominantly renters, not owners.

    I said I like the guy AllCash was talking about for his style. Flying into town, picking up the 9mm in his safe deposit box, then getting his rent cash, then flying back out of town. Has a certain Jason Bourne panache while being a very profitable system...lol. :mrgreen:

  • Pineville, LA · Member since 2008 · 27 posts · 2 votes
    18y

    I guess I understand what you are saying is you find it easier to cash flow the lower priced prop rather than the higher priced ones. i have found, so far, just reading and learning at this point, is that I would like to focus on those low priced properties at the beginning. I have found the rents in my area cash flow better with the lower priced prop.

    It seems I can more easily find the properties that are 20 -25k rent for about 500/mo where the prop for 70-80k do not rent for 1400.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    Exactly.

  • Pineville, LA · Member since 2008 · 27 posts · 2 votes
    18y

    Thanks Tim!

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    Flipper,
    Shoot me a pm.

    Tim

  • Real Estate Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2008 · 159 posts · 13 votes
    18y

    My opinion is that everybody has to have a place to live, and I'll be happy to take some low hanging fruit that somebody else doesn't want assuming I get good tenants. Yes, that's a big assumption. But from my limited experience, sometimes tenants in "good" parts of town are just as likely as those in not such good parts to tear a house up, not pay rent, etc.

    So...yes...I like low value properties.

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 86 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "TimWieneke":
    Do you mean low valve or low value?

    I invest in low "price point" properties that have a very high value to me. I'm out the door at about $8-10,000 per house after closing and repairs, get $500-$700 a month in rent and they appraise out at $50,000 per house. The multis are generally about the same per unit except the appraisal generally runs $30,000 per unit. I'm not smart enough to make overpriced property cash flow well. :wink: Also, I really don't learn much or do much else beyond this. Don't need to. Don't want to.

    Tim,

    It's nice to know that I don't have to compete against you in my market. I do the same thing. Numbers from my last project are below.

    REO purchase price = 16K
    Rehab 2 months = 3K
    Last weeks appraisal = 53K

    Rents = 600 per month.

  • Real Estate Investor · Leesville , SC · Member since 2008 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Thanks,for the input Guys
    The low value properties that I am talking about is properties that can be brought 40 to 45 cents on the dollar or less .That need some rehab,sometime you can sell them for cash & get double your money back.You may pay 3k or 4k per house & the value be 15k to 20k.Some in bad part of town some in good part of town. The value for the most all these properties is under 40k.

    I love them,I make me alot of money.
    LC

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "TC":

    Tim,

    It's nice to know that I don't have to compete against you in my market. I do the same thing. Numbers from my last project are below.

    REO purchase price = 16K
    Rehab 2 months = 3K
    Last weeks appraisal = 53K

    Rents = 600 per month.

    TC,
    There's a subculture of us who do this and don't compete. How did they say it in Rounders? "You never see pirannhas eating each other."

    Good work on your numbers there. That property will work very well.

    Tim

  • Real Estate Investor · Leesville , SC · Member since 2008 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    I dont do rental property,that is a pain to me.
    I buy & sell
    LC

  • Real Estate Investor · Member since 2008 · 340 posts · 34 votes
    18y

    Tim and I use the same system. Albeit, in different areas. But, he is right. Don't overlook these secondary markets. A few years back, a RE mentor told me, "That it is better to make a fast nickel, than a slow dime."

    My BP and I no longer look or buy the big deals that have marginal cashflow. We get the cheap SFR's and two/three flats that have decent cashflow and we reproduce those deals 2 to 4 times a month.

    Yes, we have to do some driving and go out of way to get to our target markets, but we have a system in place and professional property management is a Godsend.

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 86 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "**********":
    Quick question here and I gotta ask owning a construction firm my self.

    How did a 2 month rehab cost 3K or how did 3K worth of work take 2 months.

    Only asking because I pay a journeyman just under that in wages for 2 weeks.

    Yes I am in CA and do high end work, not rehab as a main stay.

    Some kitchen remodels are 40K....

    How much rehab does 3K buy out there? On the Kansas City stuff I am involved with we are averaging 10K for modest rehab.

    James,

    The reason it took 2 months is because I only do this part time, at night after I get off my full time job and on the weekends. Below is my project list of everything that was completed. The most costly fix was the PEX, which came in at $700. Total repair to date was $2,300. I budgeted 3K.

    Fix list

    Basement

    Plumbing lines PEX
    Line to hot water heater
    To Kitchen sink
    To Upstairs bath
    To Dishwasher
    To basement toilet
    New washer hook ups
    Wash tub
    New shut offs all around
    Safety line on WH
    New outside spikets
    Retape furnace ducts
    Rewire and add junction boxes
    Pull Paneling
    Scrape Walls
    Paint walls
    Gutter fix
    Clean Cabinet area's
    Paint basement Hallway..
    Remove Basement Toilet
    Fix front rain gutter

    Kitchen

    Kitchen Trap fix
    Install shut offs
    Roof replacement
    Dish washer fix
    Total kitchen Ceiling repair
    Fix plumbing leak in ceiling
    Clean
    Install 220v for stove and dryer and remove old gas lines
    Ceiling fan
    Door bell over stove
    New caulk
    Fix basement door lock
    Add GFI's

    House

    New Locks
    Rebuild back door jam/paint
    Pull tack strips
    Wash and Wax floors
    New storm door
    Dinning room window
    Scrape and Paint flaking porch
    Glue wall paper
    Living room return vent
    Pull Staples
    Dinning room
    Living room
    Stairs
    hallway
    New hallway light
    Fix or Replace Electric Outlets
    Upstairs outlets replaced

    Bathroom

    New bath medicine cabinet
    Fix tile
    Clean
    Plumbing leaks
    New shut off toilet
    Rebuild Toilet
    New Caulk

    Bedroom one

    Pull flooring
    Change light switch
    Replace ceiling fan
    Wash and Wax floors

    Bedroom two

    Replace ceiling fan
    Wash and Wax floors

    Bedroom three

    Replace ceiling fan
    Wash and Wax floors

    Garage

    Man door fix and lock
    Big door type lock
    Back window fix
    Trash /Sweep
    Push Button for Door

  • Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2008 · 59 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Thanks for thr breakdown TC! It's good to hear it from someone who's also holding down a regular job. I've been wondering how many people do that.

  • Real Estate Investor · London · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 74 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "FtMyersMike":
    Thanks for thr breakdown TC! It's good to hear it from someone who's also holding down a regular job. I've been wondering how many people do that.

    It is never easy. Granted having a regular job means you will likely have good access to traditional financing.

    Put in the time now and you will get the benefits later is the model.

    Good luck

  • Real Estate Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2008 · 98 posts · 13 votes
    18y

    LCass1, Are you doing most of your investing in Lexington Co.? Any in Aiken? Just curious -- I've never flipped any properties that low on the price scale -- In fact, I've never seen anything that cheap in my area.

    JMac

  • Real Estate Investor · Covington, IN · Member since 2008 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    18y

    I love low price point houses. Try to buy at no more than 18,000 for a 3/1.

    They cash flow great, and if you buy right the rehabs are not to bad.

    Josh

  • Accountant · Raleigh/Youngsville, NC · Member since 2008 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    How do you find these "low price point houses"?

  • Member since 2008 · 14 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    low value properties = low profit = more difficulties in the crisis time = more competition

    If one day i'll be in the Real Estate market, I'll do in the luxury segment

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "LCass1":
    Does anyone invest in the low valve properties. . .

    I love them,I make me alot of money.
    Thanks,LC

    Are you looking for people to validate your strategy. If it's working keep doing it :D

    Actually I primarily wholesale low end properties, fixer uppers in as is condition. I have plenty of buyers. With the market change I think it is easier to make money in lower end properties vs higher end and "pretty houses"

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.