What are you doing with your idle money?

6 Replies

I dont like to let my money sit around in a savings account. Its just sitting there not making any money.

What is everyone doing with money they are saving for a purchase and dont plan on using for 6 months or longer? say 10k, 15k 20k, etc..

I am not a fan of the stock market, so I dont like to put money in and out of there. 

Thoughts?

Aaron T.

Jeremy, where are you buying these at? do you have to be accredited? 

Aaron T.

This is a really great question - would love to see what the folks here say. I've got my REI money just sitting in a savings account earning some microscopic amount of interest.

Travis Hamilton

Originally posted by @Aaron T. :

Jeremy, where are you buying these at? do you have to be accredited? 

I believe Pasco and Hernando Counties have Tax Deeds. Not sure what the difference is between Tax Deeds and Tax Liens. I would check with the county where you are looking to invest to see what they offer, etc.

I prefer to leave the money I am using for purchases in an account so it is ready.  That is assuming I am actively looking to invest. I don't have easy access to tax liens in my state but they would be interesting use of 5-10 thousand.  

Sean Ploskina

It sits in a bank account at a credit union.  Their dividends are barely higher than big banks.  I cry every day that it sits there earning a piss all return but if we are planning something in the near future that I need it liquid for, I don't have much of an option ;)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
        • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
        • Learn how to get started with or without money,
        • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
        • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.