What are you doing with your idle money?

6 Replies

I dont like to let my money sit around in a savings account. Its just sitting there not making any money.

What is everyone doing with money they are saving for a purchase and dont plan on using for 6 months or longer? say 10k, 15k 20k, etc..

I am not a fan of the stock market, so I dont like to put money in and out of there. 

Thoughts?

Aaron T., Elite Developers of Tampa Bay

Jeremy, where are you buying these at? do you have to be accredited? 

Aaron T., Elite Developers of Tampa Bay

This is a really great question - would love to see what the folks here say. I've got my REI money just sitting in a savings account earning some microscopic amount of interest.

Medium honoluahomesd22ar04dp02zl pierce4dTravis Hamilton, Honolua Homes | [email protected] | (844) 466‑6582 | http://honoluahomes.com

Originally posted by @Aaron T. :

Jeremy, where are you buying these at? do you have to be accredited? 

I believe Pasco and Hernando Counties have Tax Deeds. Not sure what the difference is between Tax Deeds and Tax Liens. I would check with the county where you are looking to invest to see what they offer, etc.

I prefer to leave the money I am using for purchases in an account so it is ready.  That is assuming I am actively looking to invest. I don't have easy access to tax liens in my state but they would be interesting use of 5-10 thousand.  

Sean Ploskina, Oceanside Properties | [email protected] | 757‑581‑1488

It sits in a bank account at a credit union.  Their dividends are barely higher than big banks.  I cry every day that it sits there earning a piss all return but if we are planning something in the near future that I need it liquid for, I don't have much of an option ;)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you