Currently In A Rent-To-Own Agreement: Ideas/suggestions?

Currently In A Rent-To-Own Agreement: Ideas/suggestions?

Real Estate Agent · Dayton, OH · Member since 2015 · 86 posts · 36 votes

Hello Everyone,

Last May my good friend and I attended a real estate investing seminar. We ended up spending the money to attend a subsequent 3 day workshop where we learned that we would need more education. We could not afford the pricey mentorship program they offered, but instead we signed up for a "business start up kit" and some fancy software called Propstream.

Realizing how big of an opportunity there was to make money in real estate, I decided it was best if I took my current monthly rent payment and applied that to owning a house instead. I immediately went looking. As a bartender it was very hard to get a loan because I needed a 2 year history of tips to count them as income. I found a coworker selling his house and couldn't get a traditional loan. I had read an article or two about seller financing, rent-to-own and lease option purchasing agreements for the home and I was able to convince him to sell it to me using rent-to-own.

I put no money down. I pay $875 a month with $100 going to an Escrow account that I will get back at the end of the agreement. It is an 18 month agreement that expires with a balloon payment of $51,000 in December of 2015. 

As I am researching more and more about real estate investing it seems that this is not the way I should be going. I now have a salary job making $41,000/year and decent credit score and could probably secure an FHA loan on the property for my payment in December.

I have two roommates and my plan was to get a 3rd after I owned it, so they could pay down the mortgage for me and I could move into another place to repeat the process. It seems that a duplex is best for this practice however. 

Does anyone have suggestions, comments, questions, concerns with my plan. After joining this site, reading some articles and the UBG and listening to a bunch of the podcasts, I feel confident that I will get a good quality response. 

Thanks for taking your time,

Rod

0Reply
7 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Agent · San antonio, TX · Member since 2013 · 130 posts · 44 votes
    11y

    Has the property increase in value since you locked in the purchase price? Is it worth more than the purchase price?

  • Real Estate Agent · Dayton, OH · Member since 2015 · 86 posts · 36 votes
    11y

    It is worth about the purchase price in its current condition. With some work it could be a decent rental property for students. It is close to the university and student rentals are a growing demand as the school buys more of the local property. It's ARV is about $85,000 after checking some of the local comps. Tough to get a good gauge though because it is a busy street and most of the similar comps are in the neighborhood behind it.

    It would take about $8,000 worth of work to get it in shape to rent and about $15,000 to make it able to sell. But houses aren't moving quickly in this market.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    11y

    Step one is talk to a lender and make Sure you can qualify for a loan in December, usually need 2 years steady income. As for the "rinse and repeat", FHA requires you live there for at least a year, and you won't be able to get FHA for the second/additional one.

  • Lender · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Roger Smart 

    It is a good idea to get your financing in order and not wait until the expiration. I am sure he would be glad to close early but if the lease expires you could lose the house. Is your job in the same line of work. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Dayton, OH · Member since 2015 · 86 posts · 36 votes
    11y

    Yes it is the same line of work. I went from a bartender to a salary restaurant manager, In May I am changing companies (pay raise) but it will still be in the food service industry.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.