Is MLS illegal?

10 Replies

I have someone who works for a real estate agency and has access to MLS, is it illegal for them to give me their login? I could have this person look things up for me, but having it in my hands would be the most beneficial. I'm in CT by the way

@Adam Amero consider editing your title to more appropriately reflect the content of your question.  This has also been asked before so use the search feature to see others responses.

The agent can lose Their MLS access. They would be an idiot to do it.

You could ask your agent if they can set up hotsheet alerts for specific searches for you, it's a free service any agent can do for a client in my MLS.

Or you could get your license :) That's maybe more effort than you should need to put in to perform searches. 

Okay, so it seems the best way is to get your license, or to be an agents assistant. So what exactly does an assistant do? Do they even have to be involved or is it just the title of being an assistant that matters, even if you do nothing?

An assistant, is just that....an actual assistant that works For the agent, Under their supervision, helping them in their agent capacity....not a pretend assistant/wholesaler.

You really couldn't get assistant access unless you are on payroll under the agent. Your best bet if you want MLS access is to get your license.

Medium head icon colorRyan Dossey, Call Porter | http://Callporter.com | IN Agent # RB15001099

@Adam Amero

in our MLS system it would be loss of license and 20k fine.

remember your giving unknown folks access to peoples personal information.. same with giving out lock box codes for letting someone use your Supra key... verboten and for good reason

Medium ksqoekox 400x400Jay Hinrichs, TurnKey-Reviews.com | Podcast Guest on Show #222

Yea its pretty against the rules for unlicensed people to be on the MLS

FL Agent # SL3255845

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you