Why are Realtors a Toxic word?

Why are Realtors a Toxic word?

Real Estate Agent · Anderson, SC · Member since 2008 · 11 posts · 0 votes

Ok, here is a question I know that many of you would love to answer. But, here is the deal...

Why are Realtors such a bad thing, and is there anyway I can turn the tide? Can I become the exception to the rule?

What are some of the things investors hate about Realtors?

What could a Realtor such as me do to help change the perception?

What can I do to provide a valuable service to the investment community?

Thank you for your time,
Blaine Wimberly

0Reply
62 views

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Commercial Real Estate Agent · Douglas, AZ · Member since 2008 · 18 posts · 1 vote
    17y

    [I told him whatever he negotiated for me between my actual price and list, I'd give him a bonus of 50% of the spread. Gives him an incentive to actually try to negotiate a good price for me]

    That's creative. I hope it works out for you.

  • Menifee, CA · Member since 2008 · 194 posts · 46 votes
    17y

    I would have to say that MOST not All of them dont get it what we do, even after I explain it to them. They also seem to have control issues. They just dont seem to understand that doing business with me will make them more money in the long run as I am not just buying 1 property, I am buying several. There are a few out there that are ok to work with.

  • Real Estate Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2008 · 553 posts · 20 votes
    17y

    Having been a Realtor in good standing let me add my two cents.

    1) As previously mentioned by Dave very little education requirments.

    2) I think it is a matter of ethics many people (not just Realtors) are lacking in this area.

    3) A lack of vision when dealing with investors (multipal deals)

    4) Instant gradification with a closing.

    5) A mentality that they will kill a deal rather than drop their comm. I used to list investment props on a 10% comm. & yes investors worked with me because I provided the services & ability to negotiate to support that but, never would I let my comm stop a deal from closing. There have been a couple deals that I waived my comm. (got more deals from that than any form of advertising)

    6) Often times people use their friend or family member always a bad idea.

    7) Realtors over price homes to get listings then work down the sellers over time (bad business).

    8) General Arrogance many fancy themselves better than their clients.

    9) It is a career of sales smooth talking silver tunged schisters will say anything to close a deal.

    I always tell people what they need to hear not what they want to hear (always better)

    10) The idea that realtors don't realy earn their comm. couple phone calls couple sigatures thousands of dollars (often more than most working folks make in a month)

    I'll have to come back to this thread.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Member since 2008 · 792 posts · 30 votes
    17y

    I red flag everyone that works for commission.

    Why?

    Afraid someone will lie to you to get paid?

    A W2 employee would never do that (note the sarcasm)

    Another investor would never do something like that either (more sarcasm).

  • Jeff TumbarelloPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 323 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Harrison Painter:
    The Realtor/Investor feud is a classic one.

    Two parties that can work together and make each other a lot of money, but both sides all to often get in their own way and harm future profits over foolishness and ego.

    Both parties are guilty of stepping over dollars to pick up nickles, basically crippled by short term thinking.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


    I learned more about this game from 2 Realtors than any book, seminar or "Crook, I mean Guru"

    It is all about finding people who put the time in and pay their dues. I think half of the Guru driven BS about Realtors is so that the do not go out in the world and find the really cool platform sales guy has no idea what he is talking about

    As long as the person adds value to what I am trying to accomplish.......

    Every investor needs a good realtor. The best deals are in the MLS right now, at least here they are.










  • Jeff TumbarelloPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 323 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Taz:
    Originally posted by Corey Williams:
    I saw some earlier posts that mention realtors are in it only for the money.


    I have never understood the almost apologetic attitude toward making money in this county. Of course the real estate agent is in it for the money. Every investor is in it for the money. I have no problem explaining to an agent or seller I can't pay anymore because I must make a profit, simple as that.

    Where I think real estate agents shoot themselves in the foot is looking down on investors because they claim we always make insultingly low offers they are embarrassed to take to their seller mostly because they blew smoke up their nether regions to get the listing. To which I say, "Mr(s). Agent, if you can get them a higher price, by all means do it. But, I am constrained with economic realities that limit my offer to what you have in front of you."

    Agents that see beyond a retail mentality work well with investors and make really great money doing it. Those who see investors as a nuisance are the types who are struggling in this market where little to nothing is selling at retail.

    Amen to that TAZ
    Everyone derserves a profit as long as the profit is earned from value given, not BS

  • Jeff TumbarelloPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 323 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Blaine Wimberly:
    Ok, here is a question I know that many of you would love to answer. But, here is the deal...

    Why are Realtors such a bad thing, and is there anyway I can turn the tide? Can I become the exception to the rule?

    What are some of the things investors hate about Realtors?

    What could a Realtor such as me do to help change the perception?

    What can I do to provide a valuable service to the investment community?

    Thank you for your time,
    Blaine Wimberly



    Blaine,

    Who cares what they do, all you can do is affect you and your clients. Pray that the other idiots who can pass a test do what they do. Most RE agents are at best half cycle players. Till you understand both sides of the RE CYCLE you will become a victim to it.

    The biggest issue I see with agents, FYI I am getting licensed, god help me. Is that they only see closing one. For investors it is all about closing 2. Most realtors have no clue about how to get to closing 2, all they want is the 3% of closing ones purchase price.
    If you want to affect your bottom line, understand what an investor does to get to closing 2 where they get paid, and you will get paid handsomely
  • Real Estate Investor · Woodbury, MN · Member since 2008 · 133 posts · 43 votes
    17y

    I'm sure there are good agents out there, but I lost a lot of trust in agents when I purchased my personal home in 2006. My wife and I looked at over 20 homes without making an offer, When we finally found what we wanted, we happend to be going out of town that day, so we made an offer 10% under asking price through our buyers agent and then left. They countered with there asking price, so I offered 5% under ap. They countered again at full asking price, and thats what we ended up paying.
    Come to find out our BUYERS AGENT was doing everything short of actually telling the sellers not to accept anything less than asking because we would pay it!
    I find this out from the seller at the closing table and I probably wouldn't have closed accept I really did want the house.
    I know its a generalization but I lost a lot of respect for the Realtors code of ETHICS at that point.

  • Real Estate Investor · Barneveld, WI · Member since 2009 · 1 post · 0 votes
    17y

    I think the animosity between Realtors and Investors comes down to two things:

    First: I believe that there are a lot of first time investors out there who haven't quite gotten the whole thing figured out, but in their excitement waste a lot of time with Realtors.
    I believe that Realtors become particularly wary when they get the feeling that the people the are showing all of these houses to may or may not have any of their own money to put into a deal, and quickly come to the conclusion that all creative real estate is bunk.

    Second; I believe that most Realtors don't take the time to understand what creative techniques are out there. There are of course exceptions to this.
    The unfortunate part to this is that the Realtors who refuse to learn or even just accept alternative financing techniques are missing out commissions from people who do deals on a consistent basis.

    In my own experience, It is harder to negotiate with a seller when I have to go through a Listing Agent and possibly a Buyers Agent before the seller gets my message. That is an awful lot of interference for my message to go through.

    Realtors tend to be hesitant to let me talk directly with sellers ( although I force this issue all the time), it seems because they are afraid that the seller and I will make the deal without them and cut them out.

    The main exception I have had to this experience is a Realtor I know named Ed http://realestategozone.wordpress.com/2009/01/20/what-a-real-estate-agent-needs-to-do-to-sell-to-me/ who has stepped aside on may occasions to let me try to make something happen.

  • Real Estate Investor · North Carolina · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 483 votes
    17y

    Animosity? I have no animosity with Realtors. You either help me make money or I don't deal with you. But I have no animosity toward stupid people.

    There is a paradigm shift occurring and smart Realtors will prosper.

    As for the NAR, they might want to watch the unfolding plight of the UAW and other once-monopolistic unions.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.