Is HOA a bad thing for investors/landlords?

Is HOA a bad thing for investors/landlords?

Rental Property Investor · Happy Valley, OR · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 3 votes

Hi BP,

I am new to REI and I have been looking at a lot of types of properties, single family detached, attached, condo, etc.. And some of the have HOA, some don't. My question is, actually a two part question. Is HOA good, bad, or doesn't matter for investors? If so, why?

And another question I have is what type of properties do you guys buy for REI? Why?

Thanks BP!

0Reply
14 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Katy, TX · Member since 2015 · 112 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    It seems like all property in my area have HOA's, so it's almost inevitable that you will have an HOA. That being said, I have heard of HOA's denying homes for use as rentals (to keep property values up) and of course, it's an additional expense that you have to pay.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.