Deal Analysis for Property in Chicago, Illinois

Deal Analysis for Property in Chicago, Illinois

Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 12 votes

Hello all! I'm new to BP.com, but have been listening to the podcast for a couple of months now and I’m looking forward to participating in the forums

I've recently come across a property that I'm analyzing for a potential buy, and would like some input.

It is a recent foreclosure and the price keeps decreasing because it has been sitting on the market since mid-2015. It has had a couple of offers that have fallen through due to certain issues with the property (which I get into below). Rehabbed 2bd/2ba units in this area range from $315K-$350K.

Property Facts:

-3bd/1 bath condo (rooms are small, but in overall decent shape but for the kitchen)

-Is at the rental cap for the building (total of 3 units in the building)

-$25K special assessment owed to cover repairs to roof & exterior

-6 months of unpaid HOAs (~$1500) due upon sale by new owner

-in foreclosure—listed at $239K

-Unit 1 & 2 are owned by same individual

-Taxes: ~$2500

Rehab/Flip vs. Rentvs. Wholesale:

*Rehab/Flip Scenario:

-Initially, I thought I would flip this property to build up my capital and allow for more future investments. I toured the property on Sunday and it appears to be in need of significant work in the kitchen area. The floor is dipping in the middle of the kitchen and is not level. To flip it, I would need to frame out a bigger master & create another bathroom. I am not sure how to estimate rehab costs (given this is would be my first flip) without having quotes from a contractor, but I would estimate a total of $20K for rehab.

*Rent Scenario:

-The building rental cap is met; however, the rental market comparables for this property/location is between $1900 (unrehabbed) vs. $2300 (rehabbed).

*Wholesale Scenario:

-I wanted to have this as a backup option should the rehab/flip scenario not work. Being able to wholesale it would depend on what my closing price is.

Financing:

My first question would be what would the recommended financing options for this type of property. The listing states it is a Home Path unit, but I thought this program was discontinued in 2014? I do not have a lot of capital to invest up front, and I already own a condo that I have rented out which is positive cash flow.

Entity Formation:

I've been researching S-Corps vs. LLCs and am leaning toward the LLC in terms of the entity in which I'll hold the property, but I'd like some input regarding pros-cons on both.

I think I can make this deal work/profitable with an offer price of $190K. I’d like any input that you all can provide and thank you in advance for your consideration!

1Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Ronan M.Pro Member
Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 352 posts · 281 votes
10y

"Unit 1 & 2 are owned by same individual"

That's a red flag right there. If there is only 3 units total that individual holds 66% of the HOA votes. He is basically in control.

"Initially, I thought I would flip this property"

You might not be able to... due to the other guy owning the other 2 units. Buyers and lenders might be scared off because of that.

Might not be a total deal breaker but certainly something to consider. I would wonder why that other individual would not buy the last unit (and then deconvert the building)  Maybe he can't because of lack of funds...or like you he is hoping the price continues to decline. And time is actually on his side right now.  

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2010 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Welcome to BP Nicole!! 

  • Ronan M.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 352 posts · 281 votes
    10y

    "Unit 1 & 2 are owned by same individual"

    That's a red flag right there. If there is only 3 units total that individual holds 66% of the HOA votes. He is basically in control.

    "Initially, I thought I would flip this property"

    You might not be able to... due to the other guy owning the other 2 units. Buyers and lenders might be scared off because of that.

    Might not be a total deal breaker but certainly something to consider. I would wonder why that other individual would not buy the last unit (and then deconvert the building)  Maybe he can't because of lack of funds...or like you he is hoping the price continues to decline. And time is actually on his side right now.  

  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Nicole R.:

    Hello all! I'm new to BP.com, but have been listening to the podcast for a couple of months now and I’m looking forward to participating in the forums

    Financing:

    My first question would be what would the recommended financing options for this type of property. The listing states it is a Home Path unit, but I thought this program was discontinued in 2014? I do not have a lot of capital to invest up front, and I already own a condo that I have rented out which is positive cash flow.

    Entity Formation:

    I've been researching S-Corps vs. LLCs and am leaning toward the LLC in terms of the entity in which I'll hold the property, but I'd like some input regarding pros-cons on both.

    I think I can make this deal work/profitable with an offer price of $190K. I’d like any input that you all can provide and thank you in advance for your consideration!

     Nicole - I personally would not touch a condo with a 10 foot pole, especially one with a special assessment and a rent cap.  But I am such a pessimist when it comes to Chicago condos, I won't be the best person to help you with your options.

    As far as the financing. It is going to depend on what option you choose. If you have less than 20% down and can't fund the rehab yourself, you will have to do a FHA loan, which has a 1 year owner occupant requirement. So you will need to live in the property for 1 year with a regular FHA or 1 year after the rehab is done if you are using a 203k loan. Your other option is a hard money loan, which will typically lend on 70% of the after repair value, but be prepared for large upfront costs and 10%+ interest rates

    As far as the business entity.  You need to research it more, but S-Corps have larger taxations when you sell the property.  You also cannot use residential financing to a business entity.  You would have to do the hard money loan I mentioned above, or a commercial loan which typically don't include rehab costs 

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 47 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Hi Nicole,

    I agree with Ronan and Brie. The current owner of units 1 and 2 is in control and could essentially make your life a living nightmare.  Maybe you can talk to the neighbors and get more info about the owner of the other units.  I think if you really want to make a move on it, wholesaling would be your better option if you can get the price low enough.  I'd get a better estimate on repairs before making an offer if you do.

    Good luck!

    Marvin

  • Contractor · Romeoville, IL · Member since 2015 · 198 posts · 137 votes
    10y

    Hi Nicole,

    I think I'd have to agree with everyone else on the other owner and what implications that may arise out of it. Keep in mind that you will likely need to get build permits which also means inspections from the city. If everything is up to code then no big deal but if this is an older building, you may be surprises what the inspectors may ask you to correct or update. Your budget for the space seems reasonable but before you decide to move forward, I would visit the building department website and review what would be required through the process you may even want to have a brief conversation with the building inspectors office to determine if they can perform a pre-sale inspection for you or if they already have done this on the other deals that fell through. The results of that inspection may make or break the deal.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    Thanks, everyone for the input! 

  • Real Estate Broker/Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 106 posts · 22 votes
    10y

    Send me the MLS# and I will take a look at this. I've seen places for the same amount in much better physical and financial condition.

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Nicole R.

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.