Is this a bubble?

Is this a bubble?

Investor · Hercules, CA · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 4 votes

Hello all 

I purchased my SFH for $385k in Northern California in 2013 waited the 2 years to get the tax exemption and sold it for $580 cashed out and bought a condo already up $50k in 6 months. My question is how long will this last? I want to sell and start flipping houses, but feel like a bubble is around the corner. What do you guys think?

0Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
10y

5% unemployment. Large percentage of sales are all cash. Large percentage of sales have large down payments. Incredibly low mortgage rates. Low inventory.

There are fundamental reasons to rising property values. This is not tulip mania.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Palm Beach Gardens, FL · Member since 2015 · 111 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    I have been carefully looking at the market and I too fee a bubble forming. Right now there is low inventory which is driving bidding wars on properties, therefor over paying for properties and increasing price/sqft and the areas comps overall. I believe we will start seeing some results in the next 6 months. I also read a small article that big time stock broker is putting a lot of money on the market shorting. I would sell quickly or buy as low as possible. safest bet would be buy and hold.

  • Rental Property Investor · FL · Member since 2016 · 271 posts · 92 votes
    10y

    I got the same feeling. As long as budgeting is right and strategy should be a good outcome. The plus side is you are alert. Best thing is to continue to push forward, and also to have a plan if a bubble does burst, how to gain from it.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    10y

    5% unemployment. Large percentage of sales are all cash. Large percentage of sales have large down payments. Incredibly low mortgage rates. Low inventory.

    There are fundamental reasons to rising property values. This is not tulip mania.

  • Investor · Hercules, CA · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    thanks for the reply guys. I am currently trying to buy another condo using a VA with zero down. Do you guys think I should rent the condo and wait for it to go up some more or sell and cash out? Is it relistic for property to continue to go up at this rate?

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    I will tell you the exact date and time that the market will peak, and I'll only charge you $1M for this insider information :)

    I do have a little story for you, though. My parents invested in RE is SoCal back in the day. They bought a triplex in the 70s for $75k, held it for a 3 years, and the price went up to $150k so they sold it figuring that it was the peak of the market. They were right in the short term, it stayed at $150k for a couple years after they sold. That was a triplex 1 block from ocean in Redondo Beach. You can be right in the short term but wrong in the long term. 

    If you sell, you have to be right twice, when and where to get out, and when and where to get back in. The trick to me is getting in in such a way that you can stay in, through thick and thin ... beyond that, the market and your tenants tend to do most of the heavy lifting on your behalf. With flipping, you do all the heavy lifting yourself, then Uncle Sam takes a big chunk out of your hard earned profits, and the day you stop flipping is the day the profits stop flowing; and that is best case scenario if you are right.

  • Castro Valley, CA · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    5% unemployment. Large percentage of sales are all cash. Large percentage of sales have large down payments. Incredibly low mortgage rates. Low inventory.

    There are fundamental reasons to rising property values. This is not tulip mania.

     Perhaps bubble is too strong of a word to describe it, but these indicators (e.g., 5% unemployment) don't leave much else to go, seems likely that we may be nearing the top.  At best, we reached plateau?  

  • Investor · Hercules, CA · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    @david Faulkner thanks for that advice I should start thinking longer term. I still don't see the condo as they way to go. Like you said just need to find the right deal and the right location. 

  • Specialist · South Bay, CA · Member since 2015 · 132 posts · 34 votes
    10y

    Okay my BP family, I have not shared this with anyone until now you guys are all correct. The housing prices are reaching there high and its definitely a sellers market. According to my inside source a huge hedge fund had agreed that they would not began unloading property until late August has moved up the date rapidly and are now unloading 150 of their properties right now! Its time guys and we must prepare now!

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Sadrud-Din Williams:

    Okay my BP family, I have not shared this with anyone until now you guys are all correct. The housing prices are reaching there high and its definitely a sellers market. According to my inside source a huge hedge fund had agreed that they would not began unloading property until late August has moved up the date rapidly and are now unloading 150 of their properties right now! Its time guys and we must prepare now!

    They're selling 150 properties! Oh no, that will crash the market for sure! :)

    I'm joking, and can't actually tell if you are too or are being serious. They agreed with who to hold off on unloading? You might very well be right, but it does sound like it may be anecdotal evidence from a questionable second hand source to be honest, or a sarcastic joke. Not sure which or neither which is why I ask out of curiosity. 

    For all my joking and sarcasm, I actually do agree that we will likely peak out for this cycle sometime within the next two years, maybe this summer, maybe next winter, who knows. It is just a question of when and how far or long it will dip. The answer to those two unknown and unknowable questions is what will determine if selling is a good idea, but under most long term scenarios where you are in a strong market and sound financial position with your property, holding has tended to win the day over selling. 

  • Specialist · South Bay, CA · Member since 2015 · 132 posts · 34 votes
    10y

    Your actually right, I did not want to say how long but my source is saying with in the next year or two as well. I wish I was joking but I'm very serious this particular hedge fund has said to my source a Certain CEO of a very well known Real Estate Firm that they were schedule to unload 150 Of their properties in late August but now has already started unloading them. I guess they see something in the market that is not known to the public yet. I don't know, but i have already start putting offers in the ones that my source has sent me so far.

  • Specialist · South Bay, CA · Member since 2015 · 132 posts · 34 votes
    10y

    Holding properties also depends on what your holding.

  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    I'm thinking that these will hold value well as far as the eye can see:

    Vacation houses, the sort coveted by trophy-hunting buyers, which are on the waterfront or similar "prime" locations in the warmer climates.

    Starter homes in demand by Millennials, will be in demand for some time to come.  Hope you can see the chart.

    Peak baby years are 25 to 34. Largest cohorts in 2020 will be 25 to 34. Home ownership rises sharply with babies.

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Miguel Ochoa, et al,

    I feel the need to chime in here and remind everyone that a good chunk of what we're seeing in the housing market right now actually goes back to the crash.

    In that event, some 80% of housing developers and builders went under. So, the supply of housing suddenly all but stopped growing.

    The demand for housing, however, remained on it's existing course with only a slight dampening due to the dearth of lending and rentals. Regardless of the perceived demand for housing, the actual demand ebbs and flows with the population and its growth or contraction.

    So, here we have a three-pronged puzzle:

    - Housing demand stays more or less on track

    - Housing growth is temporarily suppressed

    - Lending for home loans is severely inhibited by all the post crash checks and balances meant to tame a beast which has just killed itself.

    According to the laws of supply and demand, what happens to prices when demand outstrips availability (supply)?

    About the only factors keeping housing prices from launching into inter-stellar space are dearth of lending and stagnant growth in wages and salaries.

    Home prices may seem high now. They're quite moderate compared to what could happen if the cork were taken out of the lending genie's bottle.

    ...and, don't let those "all-cash sales" figures fool you. Some of it is re-investment of retirement dollars. Some of it is actually foreign investment. Other sources of funding are enabling buyers to avoid mortgages and other lender's liens and contingencies.

    No, people aren't "printing their own money". The economy is still in the tank and in quite a fragile state. People are working smarter with their money, rather than harder.

    My perspective... your mileage may vary.

    David J Dachtera

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.