Father gets approved for rental property, transfers to me?

3 Replies

So I've found a property I want to invest in. I have the down payment, I have the credit, but I DON'T have the income- I'm an actor- it happens SO what are my options? Have my father co-sign? co-borrow? Have my father take out the loan entirely and then somehow transfer it to me? Maybe through a joint LLC? I'd love some creative input here.


He won't be able to use your funds as down payment  because its investment property. He can co-sign with you. 

Partner with him through an LLC, have the LLC buy the property, over time maybe he can gift his shares of the company to you. the Commercial loan you get will be to the llc, they may ask for personal backing, but the loan technically will be to the llc. Consult with a CPA and Attorney before setting anything up to make sure you are doing it right.

If you form an LLC you can use your money and his credit and signature on the loan. The bank may make both of you sign on the loan. More signatures=more people to pursue if you default. Speak with a mortgage broker. At the very least the two of you could co-apply but then both of your incomes and debts will apply.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.