Where is the best place to start as a college student?

2 Replies

A little bit of background before I get started: 21-year-old, college student, ROTC cadet (Air Force), currently work as a server. I put in my two-weeks-notice at my serving job because the money wasn't worth all the time and effort that I was putting into the job.

Because I am leaving this job, I have been applying to other jobs, but I'm not exactly excited to start anywhere. I would much rather put my time and effort into something that: a) might make me more money, b) will be time invested into something that I am interested in doing beyond college, and c) will have more of a flexible hour timeframe.

The difficulty lies in funding, and also, the type of real estate investing. Not a whole lot of private lenders (I assume) are willing to hand their hard-earned money to a 21-year-old. I am looking for recommendations on what kinds of real estate investing require the least amount of funding out of pocket, I'd like to avoid hard-money lending if possible. I've been looking at wholesaling, because I've heard of double-closings.

I realize I don't know a whole lot, I'm absorbing as much as I can, and am continuously reading books and listening to the BP podcast. I feel like I need to work on a deal to really start getting a good head on my shoulders but have no idea where to start.

HELP!

I can't provide any help but I am in the same position so I am just as curious. I have no money to start, but we wouldn't be the first ones. Someone out there has to have use for an ambition beginner. 

I'm buying a book on wholesaling and getting to work. I plan on going to two different REIA meetings in the next month, from there I hope to meet someone, and possibly find a deal on the way.

I suggest you do something similar, it's tough for us beginners 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.