Safety of neighborhood

4 Replies

Wonder how other investors here check the safety of neighborhood before they purchase their properties? 

One thing I like website Trulia, is that they provide safe index by using colors. Mostly we only consider areas which are covered by green. 

Another website crimeReport has some accurate data too. Unfortunately some areas/towns are not covered. 

I go there right after the sun has set and feel it out. I did that with my property I have now. Drove to it, parked on the street, and took a walk in the neighborhood at about 9:30. Just getting a gut feeling for the place helps. Possibly ask the neighbors how they like the neighborhood.

The areas that are not covered usually you can call the local city or county police and they have statistics internally. Some police departments do not share on the crime report websites so you have to go direct to the source. The FBI does an annual report also nationally for safest cities by state. Where I live in GA Cherokee county had 3 of the top cities for safety Canton, Holly Springs, and Woodstock in the whole state out of about 600 cities. 

@Hogan Ch , and also type in the town into google news.  

Thanks all for the inputs. I like the accurate statistic data, like crimeReport which gives you a very good idea about an exact address. Wish every town would have such data accessible by public. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here