Using the HELOC strategy to buy rentals

Using the HELOC strategy to buy rentals

Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 142 posts · 104 votes

I am in the process of obtaining a HELOC on my primary, with plans to buy some rentals. I've been doing a lot of research on how to pay down the HELOC faster using it as a checking, and have some questions as things are getting a bit muddied.

I'm debating on buying 2-3 properties cash (HELOC money). I think this would allow me to make a more aggressive offer, and saves me about 3% in closing costs per property. I was planning on using all the cash flow from the rentals to pay down the HELOC faster. In addition, I plan to deposit extra income left over from my paycheck. At this rate, my plan is they should be paid in 6 years. At that point, I would start over. With 6 properties, the cash flow shouldbe more and those 3 properties paid in 3 years or so.

Pros: More aggressive cash offers, save on closing costs, pay down HELOC faster.

Cons: HELOC interest is no longer tax deductible, while a typical mortgage on the rentals would be. Will take me 3 years to buy more rentals paying cash.

My other dilemma is if I buy the rentals in an LLC, and use the cash flow to pay off the personal HELOC, what issues am I getting into? Should I even put them in an LLC?

I also wanted to invest in some private notes and use those profits to pay down the HELOC faster.

What all do I need to do?

TIA

0Reply
142 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Los Altos, CA · Member since 2014 · 942 posts · 1k+ votes
8y

@Alex Corral as some have pointed out, there are still tax advantages to a HELOC, you just need to document things more clearly so that the trail of money is more obvious. The key to this strategy is to find a competitive HELOC. My current HELOC is for over $1M on a 10 year draw at prime MINUS 1%.  I pay down my loan at an accelerated pace by calculating what my monthly nut would be if I had a higher fixed rate mortgage and paying that amount vs what is actually due. The delta is applied to principle.  If I need money in a pinch I can access it easily with the HELOC.  With a traditional loan I would be behind the eight ball and potentially need to do a "cash out refi".  

But rates are creeping up very quickly, so I am currently refinancing my HELOC into a 5 year fixed rate HELOC at 3.5%. Using the HELOC strategy makes you look so much stronger in a tough market. Once the property was seasoned, I pulled a stand alone commercial loan and recharged the HELOC. Once my refi is in place I will be ready to go shopping again.

The HELOC strategy is really like a "self funded" short term bridge loan, that allows you to get into the property.

See this reply in the discussion

54 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Laguna Niguel, CA · Member since 2014 · 16 posts · 9 votes
    8y


    Our SFR properties are held personally, primary residence HELOC is in my personal name. I use Quickbooks Online to track all rental income and expenses. All draws from the HELOC are assigned to a corresponding property expense. At tax time our CPA will associate the HELOC interest to each corresponding investment property. In past years HELOC interest was as a mortgage interest deduction on my primary residence. I have a day job, self-employed and collect a W2 from my S-Corp, that may affect how our rental expense deductions are prepared, I'm not sure.

  • Investor · MI · Member since 2016 · 102 posts · 44 votes
    8y

    With the new tax law, HELOC interest is not tax deductible unless used for a business purpose. So, if you make a draw from a HELOC for REI purposes, you just have to track the interest from that draw, and deduct it on your schedule E.

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2014 · 18 posts · 3 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Tyler Kastelberg:

    Alex: I like to use LOCs as equity for the purchase of real estate, then raise funds from equity investors to pay back the LOC. You can retain control of the property and lots of upside if you structure the buyout as a syndicate with a promote - similar to how hedge funds and private equity funds buy real estate.

     This needs its own blog post 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.