Out of state investing - Dallas TX area

3 Replies

Hello. My wife and I (live in Medford, OR) have decided to take the leap and invest out of state. We’re looking at the Dallas, TX area including, Rowlett, Garland and Mesquite. Can anyone provide any info on investment property in these areas? We have an idea of average house cost and other indicators via Zillow, etc., but can someone provide info on good parts of town, rental market strength, economic info, anything else relevant would be great. Also a reference for a good PM co would be great!

Thanks! 

Josh

Hey Josh, my opinion is that Rowlett would be the best out of all of those cities, then Garland and then Mesquite. There are good pockets of mesquite, you just have to be aware that many of your properties would be C+ to B- range. Anything you get in Rowlett could potentially be a good cash flow situation if you do not overpay for the property. Garland has both characteristics of Rowlett and Mesquite. With Garland, it definitely depends on the area because there are pockets of A, B and C properties there. I currently live in Rowlett and have one rental property in Rockwall and one in Mesquite.

I’m looking in that area and nearby neighborhood as well. PM me to compare notes. I’m almost close to pulling the trigger on a prop with 15% cap rate.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.