Current deal just took a strange turn

Current deal just took a strange turn

Real Estate Agent · Kokomo, IN · Member since 2018 · 129 posts · 69 votes

Went under contract on a 5-unit office/retail property this past week. Was on the market for a year, few offers made but none good enough for seller to accept.

Was able to talk seller into a lease with option (seller financing) at a good price and very low interest rate that banks can’t touch.

This is a turnkey property, all five units occupied but two leases expiring soon. I was told both of those tenants intend to renew so I’d be taking ownership fully leased.

Today, out of nowhere the broker is telling me one of those tenants does not intend to renew and another is probably leaving as well (both expire end of April). Also informed me they received a cash offer that the seller is very interested in and kind of what he wanted all along versus seller financing due to his age and health. They are asking for a mutual release from the contract so he can take the cash offer.

Obviously it’s up to me to decide what to do since we’re under contract. Seems that they’re trying hard to get me to back out of the deal. I hate the thought of taking ownership with two vacancies but I can also get new, longer leases in there at market rates. Just always a risk not knowing how long I’ll have to float those vacancies.

Really wasn’t expecting any of this and kind of blindsided today, expecting to close around April 13th.  I know it’s my decision ultimately, but I guess I’m just looking for advice or opinions...? 

This is my first commercial office/retail deal, in a great location and I don’t want to screw it up. I liked the idea of a fully leased property, and the idea of two vacancies from the start are kind of scaring me a little.

4Reply
206 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
8y

The biggest issue is not the tenants leaving or the all cash offer...it's that your future business partner no longer wants to be your partner.  Tough way to start a relationship.  

Not sure how long the seller has had this asset and if they have a large capital gain and/or depreciation recapture or what they plan to do with the proceeds with an all cash offer.

I'd recommend moving forward with the deal if the numbers still meet your criteria.  And see if you can strengthen the relationship with the seller (your partner) by having open professional conversations and trying to solve any problems he has (taxes, access to cash, reinvestment of the proceeds, etc.).  Good luck.

See this reply in the discussion

145 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Kokomo, IN · Member since 2018 · 129 posts · 69 votes
    8y

    @Bill F. in Indiana, no document is required to state that the agent represents me. The managing broker of the agency told me that the agent did, in fact, represent both me and the seller.

    I'm aware that the seller did what he was able to do. No dispute there.

    In Indiana, the contract actually states that "If Buyer fails to timely submit earnest money, seller may terminate this agreement upon notice to buyer prior to escrow agent's receipt of the earnest money". So, technically speaking, while there is a deadline that would have been 3/29 at 5pm, once the earnest money is received by the agent, which could be one day after contract execution or eight days after execution, the seller no longer has the right to terminate the agreement. Buyer must be made aware prior to the earnest money being received. I'm not fighting that, but just implying that while the two-day deadline is important, the act or receipt of the money by the agent, whenever that occurs, is more important.

    I've realized that the seller was within his rights, and was more frustrated with myself and the agent's behavior, or lack of professionalism.

    This isn't my 1,000th deal, would've been my second, and definitely not my full time job, so I'm still very much in a learning phase.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · College Station, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 969 votes
    8y

    @Bill F.. In Texas Contract Law, there is a concept called Implied Agency - generally stated you can create an Agency relationship without a SIGNED Agency Agreement by virtue of your statements and actions. I'm not aware if this concept applies to Indiana or North Carolina - but my guess is it does. 
    If the situation & facts are as @Joseph Parker has stated,and if reported to the Indiana Department of Real Estate Licensing - I suspect the Brokerage & Agent may be subject to some stiff fines & penalties.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Kokomo, IN · Member since 2018 · 129 posts · 69 votes
    8y

    @Jim Cummings You are correct, the managing broker, in an email said the following (agent name removed for obvious reasons) ...

    "First of all, I want you to understand that (the agent) represented both you and the seller. That is a tricky situation to be in for any good real estate agent. This creates certain conflicts of interest with parties whose interests are different and sometimes adverse. The most important obligation that he has at that time is honesty. He cannot disclose anything to the other without their consent. He did his very best to do exactly what each of you asked of him."

    I would quickly disagree with the last statement that she made, but she also isn't aware of the pages and pages of back-forth-messages that I had with the agent, so I give her the benefit of the doubt.

    Meeting with a local real estate attorney shortly for an hour review. I know that the seller is not at fault, so nothing I can do there, but hoping he'll give me advice/options to end the situation while hoping that it doesn't happen again to another one of the agent's clients in the future. I'm not looking for vengeance, but want the brokerage to know that I should have been better represented. If that means reporting the agent, and the attorney says that I have reason to, I might.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 15 votes
    8y

    @Joseph Parker, please let us know how the meeting with the attorney goes.

  • Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Jim Cummings Thanks for the info on Implied Agency. I did not know about that. 

    @Joseph Parker Don't get me wrong, you got the short end of the stick on this one, no doubt about that and you have some leverage over the broker due to the behavior of her agent. Anyway you slice it, they terminated the contract before you dropped off the EM. My main point was the you relied on the Agent's word too much and not enough on the actual contracts. Caveat emptor

    The best case resolution is you get the seller to cover your expenses plus some consideration. You can suggest that it comes out of the broker's cut, but at the end of the day you don't care where it comes from. 

    No matter what happens, I'd report the agent to the Real Estate Commission. Friend or not they were representing you and a regulatory body needs to be made aware of his actions. 

    Good Luck.

  • Neptune City, NJ · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    @Joseph Parker  Many of us learning valuable lessons at your expense (good for us, bad for you).

    Take your time and make them sweat a little.  Thanks so much for sharing. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Kokomo, IN · Member since 2018 · 129 posts · 69 votes
    8y

    Sorry, this is long but wanted to type it all out while it's fresh in my mind!

    Back from meeting with RE attorney...will try to highlight main notes. I took to him the purchase agreement, lease option and addendum, along with pages of communication between myself and the agent through email, messaging, etc. (over 90% of communication done through text/email).

    We both agreed that the seller cannot be at fault as he simply did what he was able/informed that he could do. I was aware of that by this point, but glad to have it confirmed.

    He did see, without question, poor representation and guidance by the agent. There was implied agency as @jim cummings noted, with at least a dozen references, through messaging that he was acting as my realtor/agent. Managing broker also stated that in her email to me.

    -As a courtesy, he should have immediately made me aware of his relationship to the seller. It is not required in all states, but highly recommended. Through the messages, he could see that I asked the agent about his relationship to the seller after I was asked to sign the mutual release this weekend so that the seller could pursue the cash offer. This was three weeks after we initially began work on the listing. The agent's message was "XXX is my father-in-law, but in this situation he is my client just as you are. I'm not picking one side over the other or playing favorites in any way".

    -A big part of the agent's responsibility is to guide his client through the process, helping the client avoid mistakes and keep him focused on the timeline by stating deadlines and alerting the client as they approach and pass. From the messages, the agent acknowledged that he forgot to ask for the earnest money check during the signing process, with the only communication concerning the earnest money being "Yea, I forgot to ask for it when you were here. There's no rush bc it won't be cashed actually since we're closing so quickly. It would barely clear by the time of closing." From that point on, and as the deadline approached and passed, no communication was made to the client regarding the necessary submission of the earnest money, until the client informed the agent of his two attempts to deliver it, both times the office being closed. (Did I fail in making sure to get it to him by the deadline? Absolutely - but he told me that keeping me aware of deadlines is a basic duty of the agent's job).

    -Regarding the sudden events that occurred over the weekend in which I was asked to sign a mutual release so that the seller could pursue the cash offer - Reading through the agent's messages to me, the attorney noted some persuasion, or a force of guilt by the agent to me, to get me to sign the release.

    -Messages such as "He really does want the cash offer. His health is failing him. He won't give us any details on that but he's said he feels like he won't ever see the fruits of his labor with this 10 year deal. He took it because it still would set his wife up for her future but feels he isn't going to see it. He wanted a lump sum all along but settled for this deal for the sake of his wife, me, and you." "...it's just better for him with the situation he's in. He'd like to have options as far as moving away from Kokomo and being able to do some traveling and with the current deal, he won't be able to do that. That's his biggest thing, he feels he may not make it to the end when his hard work/investment "Pays off"." "It's just the longevity of this deal and the fact that out of that $72,000 down payment after taxes, commission, loan pay off, closing fees, etc he's walking away with less than $10k. His original hope with selling this property was so he and his wife could do some traveling in their retirement. This deal doesn't allow for that until 2028 and after really considering that, he's concerned that they might not get to that point together. That's why he's wanting to do the lump sum up front so they have the cash now to do the things they want."

    -Also, "He'd like an answer asap so we can move forward and know which direction we're going" Followed by the agent sending me other listings with the message "I've been looking into other investment opportunities for you today just seeing if there was something else that could potentially set you up for success if we walked away from this deal. I found this and think it's most definitely worth us looking into if we go our separate ways from Markland."

    -This all followed by the final message mid-morning Monday after my telling the agent of my two attempts to drop off the earnest money when the office was unknowingly closed. "What's your current thought process with the situation? Just wondering where your head is." To which I responded "100% honesty, I’ve put so much thought and time into analyzing the deal, driving by it, talking to banks and mentors, etc to just walk away. Even with two possible vacancies, both of which were the lower than market rates, it would/should still cash flow until I get them filled especially without property taxes due until next year which make up a big chunk of expenses. At the same time, with a lease option deal, I view the seller as a “business partner” since I’ll be making monthly payments to him, reimbursing property taxes, and in occasional contact for ten years. And we’ve done everything so far, lots of verbal communication through you, in really good faith and has gone smoothly until this weekend. So to think he might resent or regret our deal and hold it against me for ten years is concerning to say the least. I want what is best for both of us, but I can’t just let myself walk away and kick myself."

    -That was the last communication prior to notifying me of the seller's decision to terminate the contract, leading one to assume/believe that the agent shared my thoughts with the seller and informing/advising him that he can terminate the contract based on the earnest money having not been delivered as of that morning. Again, just an assumption, but with dual agency, the agent "cannot disclose anything to the other without their consent".

    -Finally, regarding technicalities, which they got me on - the attorney reviewed the amendment that was emailed to me along with the statement saying the seller has decided to terminate the agreement. The email was sent/delivered at 12:16pm on April 2nd, 2018. However, the amendment & mutual release form states a date of termination of March 2nd, 2018. Additionally, the electronic signatures are "future-dated" with a timestamp of 3:56pm, April 2nd, 2018. The updated mutual release was sent/delivered to me yesterday, April 3rd, 2018. Hand-signed by the seller, agent and managing broker, and back-dated to April 2nd. Many technicality issues there, and while it's hard to nail down a specific time that the earnest money was delivered to the agent, it is reasonable to believe that it was prior to the second, correct and accurate notification to me of the termination which was sent/delivered approximately 26 hours after the earnest money was dropped off in the dropbox and agent notified of the drop-off shortly after. (Would I want to battle that - probably not, but he implied that it could be used since the contract states that termination notification can only occur prior to receipt of the earnest money, whether or not it was delivered after the original two-day deadline)

    He ultimately said it's up to me as to what I want the end result to be. He 100% thinks I at least need to report the agent to the State. He also suggested that it would not be unreasonable to ask for consideration, whether it be from the broker, agent or seller, to have me sign the mutual release, not proceed with a lawsuit, not hold up the other sale, not report the agent and move on - no further harm done.

    Additionally, he even said it wouldn't be unreasonable to ask the seller to consider offering me a lower, "discounted" cash deal that would get the property sold outright with the lump sum he wanted so badly, maintain the "good faith" we had been working with for so long, and also avoid me filing a complaint/reporting the agent to the state licensing board, which could result in a bad mark on his license, suspension, etc. - After all, the agent IS the seller's son-in-law, so he would hopefully want what is best for both him and his family. I hadn't thought of that angle.

    So I'll take the night to think it all over. Still not sure what I want to do next, but will be glad when it's over. Yes, I was very emotionally vested in this property. I put a lot of time and effort into analyzing it, getting a good deal through seller financing which I was not familiar with prior to this deal. But at the end of the day, I know that I SCREWED UP. I'm thankful to learn this at a fairly young age (29), and with it only being my second deal. I will always submit the earnest money at the time I sign the contract, and know that no matter what, not everyone can be trusted. And I will never use this brokerage again.

    Any good, creative ending strategies to this situation would be appreciated. Ha!

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    good right up and exactly as I surmised.

    its a state of Indiana department of real estate issue.. if you want to punish the agent.

    don't hold your breath on the owner wanting to save his son in law.  you don't really know that relationship..

    Here is a little nugget to think about.

    I was selling a 8 unit I owned in Charleston it was a full gut rehab and on the front unit and a new build on the back.. 1.4 exit price.

    buyer tried to force my hand on it.. and we were wrangling over it.. then they said fine we will take 40k to walk.. I went ballistic..  anyway my agent who is quite good got it over to the other side that Charleston is a small community and do you want to be known as the buyer who sues sellers..

    you have not been damaged.. ( I could not get the property C Of O on a certain date we were 2 weeks late.. The buyer had been in contract for less than 30 days.. I found it hard to believe they would have had 40k in damages..

    Anyway they recinded and we went our separate ways.. but once my agent told the other side if you want to get black balled as a poor buyer .. brokers and owners are not going to want to deal with someone who is a litigious jerk..

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 15 votes
    8y

    @Joseph Parker, if it were me personally, I wouldn't be asking for "consideration", to me that just feels like blackmail.  If it were somehow in the purchase agreement, that if something like this happened, and you were to get XX amount of dollars, that would be one thing, but since it's not, it would just feel wrong to me.  But I would most definitely report that agent to the real estate commission!

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, Massachusetts (MA) · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    gotta say, thats pretty nuanced thoughtful sounding advice from this guy--giving you different ways forward to think about, different remedies and distinguishing between what is possible and feasible and allowing you to think about what you want. And he went to the actual documents with a knowing eye, giving you more leverage than you thought you had--they were being sticklers for EM delivery, and but didn't serve you properly. I certainly didn't see that coming! Most lawyers don't do all that and I think I'd keep him as a lawyer 

    This is a great thread with lots to learn in it, so thanks for putting yourself out there @Joseph Parker. I come from a family of realtors and lawyers (no jokes please :) ) and I just went and re- looked up the national realtors code of ethics: A few of the paragraphs might interest you:

    When representing a buyer, seller, landlord, tenant, or other client as an agent, REALTORS® pledge themselves to protect and promote the interests of their client. This obligation to the client is primary, but it does not relieve REALTORS® of their obligation to treat all parties honestly. When serving a buyer, seller, landlord, tenant or other party in a non-agency capacity, REALTORS® remain obligated to treat all parties honestly. (Amended 1/01) [listen]

    Not sure how you feel, but I sure wouldn't feel like I was treated honestly especially about the "I'm agent for both of you" poppycock.

    REALTORS® may represent the seller/landlord and buyer/tenant in the same transaction only after full disclosure to and with informed consent of both parties. (Adopted 1/93)

    This guy never informed you about a huge deal that he was related to the seller, and in his later correspondence he relied on that relationship to try and influence you. Lack of disclosure and lack of true informed consent. He even said to you he represented you equally! Boo!

    Glad you are at peace with the learning lesson and your own role. You will go far I suspect. And reporting him seems the right thing to do for other potential customers. No matter the complications of the deal or his underlying motives, which certainly include the desire to help his family, this guy failed an important test of his profession. 

    I am very curious what @Jay Hinrichs , as someone we all respect, thinks of the realtor and Broker ethics specifically, not just the legalities involved here?  Minor? Major? Just unfortunate due to special circumstances and/or a learning moment?

  • Real Estate Agent · Kokomo, IN · Member since 2018 · 129 posts · 69 votes
    8y

    @Jay Hinrichs @Andy Bondhus more than likely what I'll decide to do. Simply sign and report the agent which is what I had basically settled on doing prior to meeting with the attorney. Never intended to sue, it's not my personality and would get me nowhere in this case, and don't want the poor reputation. It was interesting to hear the attorney's perspective, however.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    @Jonathan R McLaughlin  I think its a major issue of breach of fiducery duty as I stated way up in the beginning of this thread..

    And or make a claim to his E and O carrier ..

  • Investor · Culver City, CA · Member since 2017 · 76 posts · 40 votes
    8y

    If it was you who backed out he would keep your earnest money. The seller should offer you the same amount. That is fair.

    On the other hand he is getting a lot more money for the place right now from the new buyer.  If you owned it, the new buyer presumably would offer you the same amount.  Looking at it this way, the seller should split this additional income with you. 

    The agent was representing you, but instead he screwed you.  Yet he will still be entitled to his commission on this sale.  At a minimum he should offer half of this to you for burning you on the deal. 

    This family - the agent and his father in law - used your honest good faith offer to squeeze a better offer from the buyer.  That is not right. 

    Maybe it is better to let it go since it is a small town and all that. But don't blame yourself. You've been used and tricked.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Kokomo, IN · Member since 2018 · 129 posts · 69 votes
    8y

    @Jerry Murphy while I could try and do all of that, they could simply say “no”, I’d end up having no other choice but to sign the release and look like a complete fool.

    I made mistakes as well, and I’m not blind to that, so I do have to blame myself. But as the managing broker told me, if the seller didn’t use that loophole or technicality, he would’ve found another one in order to get out of the deal and take the cash offer.

    @Jay Hinrichs I do plan to report the agent to the state licensing board as multiple people have told me to do in hopes he won’t act this way again. Should I notify the managing broker and/or agent that I plan to do so? I’ve never done that before.

    Also, not sure I'm familiar with how to file a claim with the E&O carrier (errors and omissions, right?) or what the claim would be based on...?

  • Real Estate Agent · Kokomo, IN · Member since 2018 · 129 posts · 69 votes
    8y

    @Jonathan R McLaughlin thanks for looking those things up. I do agree that it is probably best for me to at least file a complaint with the state licensing committee. Is that something I would want to notify that agent/broker that I plan to do? Or just sign the release and do it behind the scenes? My gut tells me it’s a good idea to let them know I plan to do that so they aren’t surprised later.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · College Station, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 969 votes
    8y

    @Joseph Parker. Notify the Broker you plan to file a complaint with the Indiana Licensing Authorities. If the situation is as stated, Broker & Agent might be interested in finding a way to financially accommodate you to NOT file the complaint - if that's of interest to you?

    From the RE Commission viewpoint, this does not sound like an "honest mistake" on part of the Brokerage. A major goal of the RE License Agency (In Texas) is to protect the consumer. My guess, is the same tenets are true in Indiana. And, the Indiana RE Commission will not look favorably on the Brokerage / Agent Representation malfeasance. Both could be looking at some fines and / or probationary license time or worst case - License Revocation. 

    Regardless, suggest you notify them you plan to file a complaint.  You can always change your mind before filing. 

    Filing a Claim with Broker's E & O carrier will most likely involve Attorney filing suit against the Brokerage, who would then involve their E & O Carrier to help cover the costs, if any.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Kokomo, IN · Member since 2018 · 129 posts · 69 votes
    8y

    Thanks @Jim Cummings, I will most likely avoid the E & O claim as it sounds pretty involved and possibly unnecessary in this case - at least in my opinion.

    However, I will notify the broker of my plans to file a complaint, referencing the reasons discussed in the post earlier today after meeting with the attorney. Maybe give it a day or two, see if I get a response, and if not, proceed to sign the mutual release and file the complaint. 

    Then start looking for the next deal in my area.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jim Cummings:

    @Joseph Parker. Notify the Broker you plan to file a complaint with the Indiana Licensing Authorities. If the situation is as stated, Broker & Agent might be interested in finding a way to financially accommodate you to NOT file the complaint - if that's of interest to you?

    From the RE Commission viewpoint, this does not sound like an "honest mistake" on part of the Brokerage. A major goal of the RE License Agency (In Texas) is to protect the consumer. My guess, is the same tenets are true in Indiana. And, the Indiana RE Commission will not look favorably on the Brokerage / Agent Representation malfeasance. Both could be looking at some fines and / or probationary license time or worst case - License Revocation. 

    Regardless, suggest you notify them you plan to file a complaint.  You can always change your mind before filing. 

    Filing a Claim with Broker's E & O carrier will most likely involve Attorney filing suit against the Brokerage, who would then involve their E & O Carrier to help cover the costs, if any.  

    Agreed and my experience with E and O is there is a 5k deductible and the insurance will just settle out of hand and make the agent pony up the 5k they are not going to want to litigate this..

    I was just throwing it out there.. but this is a classic Error and Omission deal in my mind.. and certainly department of real estate will get into it..  

  • Real Estate Agent · Kokomo, IN · Member since 2018 · 129 posts · 69 votes
    8y

    @Jay Hinrichs can I ask what specific issue violates or constitutes an Errors and Omissions claim being filed? I’m have zero familiarity with E & O details other than classic errors made in actual contracts, agreements, etc.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · College Station, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 969 votes
    8y

    @Joseph Parker. E & O is as it sounds - it's an Insurance Policy most Brokers (voluntarily) carry that covers the Broker for Errors they might have made or Omissions that might have happened. 

    You can purchase varying degrees of deductible coverage (depending upon what you as the Broker might want to handle) before the E & O Provider steps in to cover the balance.

    Consider it similar to you being involved in an Auto accident and you would be responsible for the first $500 or $1000 dollars of the damage (deductible) before your Insurer steps in to cover the rest of the damage. 

    I have E & O coverage - fortunately NO personal experience with having to use it. But REALTOR Community scuttlebutt is the E & O Company always wants to settle (even if you did nothing wrong) because it's cheaper than litigation. 

    As I said earlier, I don't think the Broker's E & O would come into play unless a lawsuit was filed.

  • Josh C.Pro Member
    Property Manager · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    I agree with above. I would ask for 5k or so and walk away. You wouldn’t exactly be the local hero forcing a sick elderly person to sell his place on a 10 year note. Good luck
  • Real Estate Agent · Kokomo, IN · Member since 2018 · 129 posts · 69 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Josh C.:

    I agree with above. I would ask for 5k or so and walk away. You wouldn’t exactly be the local hero forcing a sick elderly person to sell his place on a 10 year note.

    Good luck

    I’m not planning to try and force a sale. I wouldn’t want to have to work with him for 10 years at Gus point anyway.

    Just weird how he initially turned down a $375k cash offer because it wasn’t enough, then agreed to my 10 year lease option deal saying “he’s happy to know it will set his wife up well with consistent monthly payment and a lump sum at 10 years”, should something happen to him. Overall, I’d be paying $468k over the term. Only to turn around while under contract and want to go back and take a cash offer for that same $375k. 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2017 · 350 posts · 611 votes
    8y

    @Joseph Parker First, thanks for sharing your experiences with the rest of the BP community. There are great nuggets of lessons in this thread that we all can learn from. I have commercial RE and MFH apartment as well as SFH fix/flip and trust me, this whole EM / communications fiasco is just the tip of the iceberg. As you do more RE deals in the future, there are going to 100's of times when things go bumpy and you want to throw in the towel. Persistence and hustle pays off as well as being somewhat emotionally detached and treating this whole endeavor like a business.

    Good that you owned up on the EM mistake and chalked it up as a life lesson.  When I found an excellent deal on an apartment, we negotiated a price and sign the contract.  I also worked with the seller broker directly who was "representing" both sides.  The seller had other offers coming in, including cash. No matter what the broker said in terms of timeline, I shoved $50k EM down their throat ASAP to lock it in but added contingencies in the contract to protect myself.  

    A great deal is a great deal.  No matter what the seller's life situations are, if he has analyzed your offer, ran it through his life situations and accepted, then it's a done deal.  Sure you can have a heart and listen to his concerns but you have to look out for yourself and your business.

    If I were in your shoes and this is a great deal, I would go back and renegotiate to see how you can lock this in. Just because it's a seller carry of 10 years does not mean you have to work with the seller for 10 years. Don't worry about having to work with him for that long. Lock it in then refi 2-3 years down the road. He gets his money and you get the piece of mind not working with him but more importantly, in the end, you have this great asset. Sure, you will probably pay a higher interest rate than what you contracted with him but it should still cash flow with a conventional loan. Point is, if this is a great deal, then do what you can to do the deal. If the numbers (NOI, DCR, Capex, blah blah) are only so-so, then walk away. How you would walk away in terms of legal, filing complaints, etc - I don't have much experience on that. I always renegotiate when thing don't go smoothly so that there is mutual agreement on the addendum. Nothing is so black and white.

    Maybe offer a 5 year carry with in mind that you will refi in 2-3 years.  Or adjust the interest rate or price or other terms of the deal. I don't think sticking to your guns that they have to honor the original contract will work since there are mistakes made on both sides, one side being more shady.

    Or try to secure a loan with a bank to secure the deal.  If it's a great deal, the bank will lend.  If not, they will tell you that the numbers don't work and you shouldn't buy it anyways.

    Whatever you decide to do, a great deal is a great deal and the numbers should work with seller carry or bank debt.  Take the emotion out of the equation.  Sure I get emotional and attached to the property when investing ALOT my time on deals but when it's time to sign papers and money starts flying around, it's all business.

    Let us know how it goes!

  • Visalia-Fresno, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 863 votes
    8y

    I usually get worked up on losing a deal, when my pipeline isn't full.

    Frank

  • Real Estate Agent · Kokomo, IN · Member since 2018 · 129 posts · 69 votes
    8y

    @Paul Choi Thanks, Paul for the great advice! 

    I had considered going back to the agent and simply asking what we can do to make this sale work. While I know that if I wanted it bad enough, I'll find cash, financing, shorter seller carry term, etc. - but here are the few issues I ran into when talking to local banks prior to getting the agreement on the seller-finance deal:

    Property (commercial office/retail) has five units. One lease expires June 2020, national company. Other four leases expire between April 8th - May 2nd of this year, 2018. Seller always did one-year leases with those tenants (admits he's not a businessman). Banks did not like seeing four of the five, or 70% of gross rents, with expiring leases in the next month or two. While the tenants did not intend to vacate, the bank obviously can't assume this and views it as risk.

    A contingency that I personally had included in the lease option contract was that three of those four soon-expiring leased units must have new leases in place, for at least a one-year term, at the time of closing. I was also given control over negotiating those new leases, attempting to extend the term and slightly raise rent as there had never been an increase. I had two of the four tenants quickly sign new two-year leases, typed up and signed by me. So I now have two signed lease agreements out there with two tenants but no property!! Haha - but my point was, you can see why these local banks weren't looking at the property too favorably with those expiring leases, making it difficult to find good financing and make a solid offer on those terms.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.