Looking to build in Hawaii Ocean View Estates

2 Replies

Hello everyone,

I am a Colorado resident that owns an acre of land in Hawaiian Ocean View Estates, big island of Hawaii. Anyone familiar with the area knows that it is sort of an impoverished area with some people living off the grid completely. I bought this land a few years back because it was the area my father was from. I have a desire to put a retreat/conference center on the property. I have done a bit of research on modular homes and think it might be cheaper than to build a place from scratch, however I am having trouble finding a model that matches my vision for this center.

Does anyone have any experience building in this area of the country or have any advice regarding modular homes vs building (construction loan)? How about other connections to the area?

Thank you,

Cristy

Hi Cathy - I'm over in Crested Butte and we have extensive experience in modular. In fact one of our preferred factories has shipped to HI. 

In general, the larger the project, the more you'll realize the benefits of modular, especially with custom. How large of a project are you looking at? Are some of the buildings repeatable - ie cottages etc. Repeating a similar floorplan helps. 

Construction loans can be trickier for modulars as the lender, who's accustomed to real estate, scratches their head when the factory wants a payment before delivery or before the modules are actually 'real estate'. We can finance the build which we find is ideal for the bank doing the construction loan, they just take us out when the modules arrive onsite thus relieving their headache of how to secure their loan to a non-real estate module sitting in a factory somewhere.

Feel free to message me and I can help you analyze this further. We also have GC's who we work with in other states.

Hi Ken - Thanks so much for your reply. The "building" has been roughly drawn and right now is about 6000 sq feet at on 3 levels. This may be a pipe dream financially and if it is would certainly entertain a main building with cottages. Could you refer me to a website for the builder that did ship to Hawaii? If I could find a modular that was similar to what I would like to build I would be open to an exisiting model. I have looked at modular websites of companies in Hawaii and found a possibility but now really close to what I was hoping for.

I really appreciate your reply, this apparently isn't an area everyone can comment on!

Cristy

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you