California vs out-of-state

California vs out-of-state

Rental Property Investor · Bay Area · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 1 vote

Hi all,

I've been an active follower of this forum for quite some time. I have a pretty simple question -- at this time, would you invest in a $400k condo in Walnut Creek, CA or a 2-4 plex in Austin, Texas? 

It's the ongoing debate on appreciation vs cash flow. I don't really prefer one or the other so just looking for general advice on markets and what ya'll would do? 

Cheers,

Jonathan

0Reply
132 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Los Altos, CA · Member since 2014 · 942 posts · 1k+ votes
7y

@Jonathan M. on the units I have done no improvements on, I am flowing about $100/door/month.  On the units I have renovated I am flowing over $1000 a door/month. to be clear these are NET numbers.  

But remember that cash flow is an illusion based around the amount you put in as an investment.  ANY property will technically cash flow if you pay all cash.  The great driver of wealth in real estate is appreciation.  In the past 5 years, I have been able to go from zero properties to 19 doors AND my total money in ALL of the deals at this point is $700k.  I am in the process of pulling that last bit out over the next few months.  That will leave me with an infinite ROI on all of my doors. That is the power of appreciation. 

I am totally open to meeting up and grabbing a bite, just send me a PM.

See this reply in the discussion

54 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Bay Area · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Ali Boone Agreed, and thanks a ton for analyzing my numbers to make sure they were right. 

  • Lee RipmaPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Prairie Village, KS · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Jonathan M.

    I pulled some raw data out of a website that I can't find any longer or I would send you the link. I then ran my own analysis on the data. Here is a link to my google calculations. You can pull it out for your own use if you like. All the raw data is still in there! 

    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1caGdasT-IVDdEv3WGYpImTUCNQh5XaShowaLqNVwW4Y/edit?usp=sharing

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jonathan M.:

    @Ali Boone Agreed, and thanks a ton for analyzing my numbers to make sure they were right. 

     You bet!

  • Rental Property Investor · Bay Area · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Lee Ripma Wow, that's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.