Investor · Broken Arrow, OK · Member since 2016 · 210 posts · 314 votes
So, I've been fortunate over the years and have never had a tenant vanish. But, this past week, I encountered my first. Sad thing is there was no warning. This tenant had paid like clock-work for over a year. Then, he lost his job and got a month behind in rent. He was communicating with me and then went radio silent. Apparently, he moved out of state and did not leave a forwarding address. So, any suggestions on potentially using a collection agency? I would go to small claims court except, from what I understand, I have to have a forwarding address? I would like to figure out a way to have this hit his credit report so other landlords don't have to encounter this with him in future. Would appreciate any advice or ideas!
Investor · Broken Arrow, OK · Member since 2016 · 210 posts · 314 votes
7y
What good would sending mail to him be if it is simply forwarded? How would I be able to get a small claims court to declare a judgment or get a collection agency to collect?
Rental Property Investor · Tucson AZ / Nice FR / Washington DC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y
Do the legwork yourself to hunt them down with a skip tracer, summons to court, and go round and round in this process.. or kick it to a collection company for a percent of the amount collected, Hunter Warfield does this, we use them:
It can take years for them to get the money. IMO some money is worth more than none. If you don’t want to do the skip trace and court route, or the collections route, just walk away..
Investor · Broken Arrow, OK · Member since 2016 · 210 posts · 314 votes
7y
Levi, thanks. I have reached out to Hunter Warfield and will see how they respond. We are okay if we don't collect much, but our bigger goal is to have a negative rating of the tenant to try to avoid future negative situations for other landlords.
Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y
@John Kunick
How much money we talking here? Ask yourself if it’s really worth it. Divide the amount likely to be collected by number of hours to collect it. You’ll probably find you’re making minimum wage for your time.