House Hacking Research #2- Ask/Answer any House Hacking Question!

House Hacking Research #2- Ask/Answer any House Hacking Question!

Craig CurelopBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Hello everyone, 

This is part 2 of my research project for house hacking. Please let me know any questions you have surrounding house hacking. If you have the answer to any question  you see, feel free to answer. 

Thank you!

15Reply
810 views

Most Popular Reply

Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 44 votes
7y

Hi Craig,

So glad this thread was started!

Is it worth it to go for a multifamily unit and carry more risk? My goal was to buy a townhouse/condo with three bedrooms to rent out the other two. In the process of researching RE, I discovered BP and realized that you guys have the term "house-hacking" for this and there's a lot of emphasis on multifamily properties. So I started looking into multifamily properties in my S Florida area (admittedly only on MLS sites like Zillow/realtor.com) and there are slim pickings with massive price tags. While I can put a 20% down on a condo, I'd only be able to put 5% down on a multifamily so I'd be in a highly leveraged, risker position.

The numbers at a glance (1%, 50%, and 70% rules) seem to work out better for me with a condo than with a multifamily, but I think I'm struggling with multifamily FOMO lol. 

Can't wait to hear any input on this.

P.S. I just listened to your episode on the podcast yesterday, and I'm a big fan of your way of life. Looking into Turo since I've taken to using public transit lately.

See this reply in the discussion

162 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Mountain Grove, MO · Member since 2016 · 44 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    I am actively shopping for 2 - 4 units to house hack with an FHA loan. I like the Bigger Pockets calculator but I can't justify paying for a pro membership to get unlimited use right now. does anyone have experience with the Vertex42 Rental Property Calculator https://docs.google.com/spread... or something else that might be a better solution?

  • CA · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 6 votes
    6y
    Hi does anyone know if any banks inparticular allow HELOC on IP
  • Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2020 · 62 posts · 23 votes
    6y

    Hi Everyone!

    I am new to the BP community and would like to connect with agents, seasoned investors, rental property owners, etc. I am a recent college grad looking to house-hack in Chicago or surrounding areas. Can someone perhaps provide guidance or tips for a new investor?

    Warmly,

    AJ

  • Specialist · Plano, TX · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 861 votes
    6y

    Great thread to learn about house hacking, thanks for getting this started for us. 

  • Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Craig Curelop

    Sup

    Hi all , I am a newbie at this.

    So please correct me if I have the wrong idea ..

    I am in my 5th year of my FHA single family.. I am looking to re-fi soon into a conventional... the plan is to get a new FHA for a Multi-Unit . Live in one part and rent out the others..

    Current Loan balance 160k

    Loan officer (friend of mine) said my area is 220k+ . Recently sold in my area is 220k+ on Zillow.

    I was wondering what rehabs are more important than the other when it comes to the reappraisal.

    Recessed lighting?

    Improve kitchen?

    Improved bathroom?

    Exterior improvement?

    If there are any pieces that I am missing / that’s I am not putting into consideration please let me know.. I am trying to make my first move to become financially free.

    Thank you all for your time and help!

  • Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Minh Nguyen I'm in your position as well! Glad you asked. All my research so far has pointed towards a 3 townhouse/condo. Wondering why multi-family? Some say HOA restrictions but interested in knowing more.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.