House Hacking Research #2- Ask/Answer any House Hacking Question!

153 Replies

Originally posted by @Edward Krause :

@Craig Curelop any tips for how to FIND duplexes etc? Orlando, FL here and would love to start researching/pricing out a duplex/triplex house hack to save myself money (rent is outrageous $1200+utlities for my 1 bedroom thats actually really nice). I try to look on zillow, loopnet, realtor.com, and it seems there are very few and far between options that I could find... when you go into a house hack with multiple units, do lenders typically see the income potential for the other half and allow you to borrow more than youd be approved for on any traditional house? Very new and just learning, but hope to get started asap.###@

To answer you question about lenders including income potential from other half.. Yes, I have done 1 duplex deal that I house hacked and the lender did include income from other unit. However, they only used 70% of it. So if the other unit was $1,000/mo. they would include $700 as income for calculating DTI. I believe the 70% is standard, but can't say for sure.

@Craig Curelop

Preface: this would be my first step into real estate inverting.

I’m looking to start a house hack with a four-plex or similar property. How can I get the downpayment? I know that I can save my money up for a year or so to get the downpayment and I am fine with that option, but I was wondering if there are other options that could potentially result in getting the downpayment a little quicker. I can get approved for the 400k loan, but getting the ~13k for the downpayment would just take some time to save up to. Any suggestions? If saving up is the only/best option, that’s fine, I just want to make sure I know of all the possible options.

Originally posted by @Joseph D Chapman :

Hello

Moving to Montana in early/middle of 2021 I want to sell my house now and buy a duplex or four Plex this would be my first investment. Need some direction thanks

I have lived all over Montana, the state can vary significantly depending on where you go. What areas are you interested in? I would be more than happy to give you advice along your journey. Feel free to PM me anytime!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here