Rental Property Investor · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2015 · 181 posts · 136 votes
7y
I dunno, I just saw it this morning. Driveway is shared and needs resurfacing. No place for a dumpster, and the city now won't do residential pickup for 4plexes. The trash truck would tear up an asphalt driveway, if the dumpster is placed behind the unit. Listing implies that the some of the units have been trashed. The area isn't the best, and rents of 650 will mean tenants are of the section 8 variety.
Nashville, TN · Member since 2017 · 92 posts · 14 votes
7y
@Peter McDonough haha that’s the one. I’m based out of Nashville and have been to Huntsville a few times. Are the renters really that bad? I follow the market and this o e of the nicer multiunits I’ve seen come on the market in the last year.
Huntsville, AL · Member since 2018 · 577 posts · 864 votes
7y
I have not looked specifically at which property you are referring to - but if you are referring to Crestview Dr by Jordan Lane and University Drive...that's a rough area by Huntsville standards that you won't be able to really appreciate simply driving by it. To be frank, I know several property managers here who wouldn't manage properties there - too little rent income for them for the amount of trouble that can occur. Make sure you have a strong local team if you take the plunge there.
Real Estate Agent · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2018 · 72 posts · 37 votes
7y
Funny to find this on here. I was looking at that one too. It's under contract already and of the 4 units only 2 were rented at $475 and $500 a month. Wasn't worth it at 182k
Just a heads up but just saw 2 quads show up on reaches place a few hours ago for $259,900 each. looks to be in a (possibly?) better area with rents in the 850 range but listing says you have to buy as a package.
any insights into that area of huntsville? martin rd and hwy 231?
Nashville, TN · Member since 2017 · 92 posts · 14 votes
7y
@Peter McDonough @t@Trey Crusey saw that one too! I live in Nashville so don’t know first hand but the zip statistics are really good. High personal and household income, average home price is 220k, crime rate was lower than surrounding zips
Rental Property Investor · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2015 · 181 posts · 136 votes
7y
You out of state people really need to come drive through Huntsville. The Ascent Trail area literally has people sitting in the middle of the street shirtless. The 35805 zip code is a mix of solid A houses alongside of the crack houses of west huntsville. That area in question is definitely street by street, especially on the east side of the parkway.
Rental Property Investor · Madison, AL · Member since 2015 · 177 posts · 110 votes
7y
I agree with @Peter McDonough for the zip codes analysis. Still one needs to consider that overall there has been appreciation across the board for most of Huntsville. I know several individuals that are making good returns by flipping properties in the 35810, 35816, and 35811 in spite of the perceived crime in the areas. Since Huntsville is still a very family oriented town the most appreciation are found in areas with the best schools 35758, 35801, etc.
I just picked up this discussion after joining recently.
I'm not ready to buy yet, but this property on 4009 Eunice St Huntsville AL 35805 (18 unit, $550k) intrigued me (also this is my first post ever so I hope I don't violate terms of use!)
What do you local Huntsvillians have to say about that area?
Rental Property Investor · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2015 · 181 posts · 136 votes
7y
It's a row of 4 plexes on a street that's entirely 4 plexes. The street cuts right behind a Wal-mart, and is sorta hidden from the other nice streets in the area. It's lower income, but it's probably the best 4plex area in town in terms of relative rents vs amount of crime. 3/2s that have been renovated go for 700-800.