Austin is Hot

Austin is Hot

Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2012/02/23/forecast-austin-job-growth-revs-up.html?ana=lnk

Some highlights:

19,000 new jobs are expected this year after 13,000 last year.

Unemployment rate could drop below 5% in a year.

Office space is at an 88 percent occupancy rate and rising with very little new coming on line this year.

Retail is at 94 percent occupancy. Only 400K square feet coming on line this year. That's about the size of one large Ikea.

Last year, about 39,000 people moved to Austin. Expectations for this year, 42,000, and 48,000 more in 2013.

The 2010 census showed population of 790K, so the current growth is over 5% per year. How many other top 25 cities are even close to that?

What would be your investing approach in Austin?

3Reply
356 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
14y

Apple is creating 3600 new jobs here now:

Press Release

Austin is the place to be!

See this reply in the discussion

182 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 152 posts · 104 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Bryan Hancock:
    Exits on projects we're developing are getting crazy right now. I am honestly considering stopping development and shifting to something else soon given the lunacy.

    It will be fun while it lasts ;-)

    Can you expand on this a bit? Also, what are you thinking of shifting too?

    I've been looking at rental homes in the Houston area because I cant the the numbers to work here (Austin)

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @Nathan W. and @Scott Hearne

    I am not sure what we'd shift to just yet, but larger development projects with lower per-door prices that we can cash flow may be in the cards. There is a logical ceiling to what people migrating to Austin can afford to pay based on their income and given the pricing of late I am not sure how long the appreciation is sustainable.

    Things are certainly going quite well right now, but 78702 lot prices are a lunatic level pricing right now on the open market. Stuff we could buy for $70k/door a few years ago is now going for double that easily now. I am not sure how developers can profit from this new pricing and owner-occupants with little idea what they're doing are driving out risk mitigation strategies on the buy side.

    We're still finding deals, but it is definitely a lot harder than it was a year ago. I have piles of investor cash looking for projects and it is taking longer to source them now. That is a pretty good sign that it is time to shift strategies somewhat.

  • Real Estate Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 50 posts · 6 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Bryan Hancock:
    @Nathan W. and @Scott Hearne

    I am not sure what we'd shift to just yet, but larger development projects with lower per-door prices that we can cash flow may be in the cards. There is a logical ceiling to what people migrating to Austin can afford to pay based on their income and given the pricing of late I am not sure how long the appreciation is sustainable.

    Things are certainly going quite well right now, but 78702 lot prices are a lunatic level pricing right now on the open market. Stuff we could buy for $70k/door a few years ago is now going for double that easily now. I am not sure how developers can profit from this new pricing and owner-occupants with little idea what they're doing are driving out risk mitigation strategies on the buy side.

    We're still finding deals, but it is definitely a lot harder than it was a year ago. I have piles of investor cash looking for projects and it is taking longer to source them now. That is a pretty good sign that it is time to shift strategies somewhat.

    Hi, Bryan,

    Thanks for sharing!

    Joe

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Fastest growing metro economy and projected to keep up the pace for years to come.

    Austin leads the nation in gross metro product, and is predicted to keep the number one spot through 2020.  Unemployment has dropped below 5%.  I just heard that apartments at Lamar and 51st that were renting for $650/mo 5 years ago, are at $1200/mo now. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 50 posts · 6 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Jon Klaus:
    Fastest growing metro economy and projected to keep up the pace for years to come.
    Austin leads the nation in gross metro product, and is predicted to keep the number one spot through 2020. Unemployment has dropped below 5%. I just heard that apartments at Lamar and 51st that were renting for $650/mo 5 years ago, are at $1200/mo now.

    My friend's condo (800sq) @ enfield is renting $1500/mo right now.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Austin Houses Sell Faster Than Anywhere in the Country

    50% of homes listed for sale in Austin sell in 10 days or less. 

  • Involved In Real Estate · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 46 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    I have pocket listing, investor special... good bones in 78745 

    needs cosmetic overhaul/updating 

    1699 sq feet, largest lot in subdivision at 104 x 122

    huge old oak trees, high rents in area too.. that go quickly 

    owner will let me show to investors pre-MLS as I'll reduce listing commission from 6% to 4% if I bring a buyer.. can show to investors on Weds, let me know if there is interest. This is my first post like this, so mods, if I'm wrong for posting here, please correct me, do I post things like this in marketplace?

    Lori Vines

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Lori, please post in Marketplace. Thank you. 

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    78745 is up and coming.  The dirt is still relatively attractive in terms of price if you can find stuff near 71.  We are considering doing some new projects over there, but haven't started any yet.  

  • Real Estate Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 785 posts · 190 votes
    11y

    so is san antonio, and a lot cheaper! :)

  • Specialist · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Account Closed 

    Care to share a specific example?

  • Real Estate Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 785 posts · 190 votes
    11y

    my first deal that I bought here - $51,000 cash, owner financed, makes 16% ROI, no repairs or maintanence by me. It's now worth $125k. 605 West Hollywood, 78210 I think the zip is in San Antonio. It is on my site (I am leery of posting direct links to my site here, mods may not like it). thanks.

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 49 posts · 21 votes
    11y

    This is great information.  I live in Austin and partner with a colleague who lives in Houston. I WISH WISH WISH I would have found my passion 5 years ago.  I lived Cameron/51st area and have watched property prices skyrocket all over the city.  North Burnet (north of 45th) is gaining popularity, too.

  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    11y

    @JoePickett

    What was the date of your first deal?  

  • Real Estate Agent/Property Management · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 827 votes
    11y

    Just a personal observation that yes, Austin is very hot. The downside is that Austin is rapidly losing the distinctiveness that "kept Austin weird."

  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    11y

    That's what everyone in their 40-50's who attended UT says.  Yep, Punk rock and the Continential Club are gone.  And a lot of the hair on your head is gone.  ;-)  Austin: Less weird, more wired and lots more $$$.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Marian Smith:

     Austin: Less weird, more wired and lots more $$$.

     Marian for president of the Austin Economic Development Commission!

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    Found a map that may strike a chord with Austin investors. 

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    @Jon Klaus , I live in Austin, and that map is almost completely true! Although, I think rich students should now include the west campus area as well since we have several new high rises added to the campus area every year. 

  • Real Estate Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 785 posts · 190 votes
    11y

    In my city, first deal was in 2013. I have only been in this town in for 2.5 years. I invested for 6 years in Virginia. I work with a 13 year expert investor in town now. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 50 posts · 6 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jon Klaus:

    Found a map that may strike a chord with Austin investors. 

     It's very true:)

  • Real Estate Broker · Charleston, SC · Member since 2015 · 106 posts · 39 votes
    11y

    I plan on house hacking my first home this year in Austin (hopefully "east side") and this forum is scaring me! Love that the city is doing so well but slow down for a second so I can buy a home!

  • Real Estate Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 785 posts · 190 votes
    11y

    Market will keep getting hotter I think :). I am in San Antonio and our stuff has gone way up in value in the last year as well, peanuts compared to austin but still!

  • Investor · Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Kristina Modares

    Just don't speculate when buying (ie buying based on projected appreciation)...instead, the numbers must work from the get go. 

    I remember clearly those investors who in 2006 thought the good times would never end and they paid a heavy financial price.  Optimism is good...blind optimism is very bad.

    Just look at what happened recently to oil prices and the resulting layoffs. Think those layoffs impacted communities across Texas?  Who predicted those layoffs?  The people who study the oil markets on a daily basis? No!  My point it this Kristina.  Past performance does not equal future performance...fundamentals still matter and you should move forward with eyes wide open and not depend on a frenzy mentality.  

  • Real Estate Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 785 posts · 190 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Guy Gimenez:

    @Kristina Modares

    Just don't speculate when buying (ie buying based on projected appreciation)...instead, the numbers must work from the get go. 

    I remember clearly those investors who in 2006 thought the good times would never end and they paid a heavy financial price.  Optimism is good...blind optimism is very bad.

    Just look at what happened recently to oil prices and the resulting layoffs. Think those layoffs impacted communities across Texas?  Who predicted those layoffs?  The people who study the oil markets on a daily basis? No!  My point it this Kristina.  Past performance does not equal future performance...fundamentals still matter and you should move forward with eyes wide open and not depend on a frenzy mentality.  

     Yes I thought it would never end in 2006, how wrong I was, and many others were. I have learned to buy assets much more carefully, steady cash flow is what I care about now with minimal risk, even if it's not a home run return. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.