Austin is Hot

Austin is Hot

Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2012/02/23/forecast-austin-job-growth-revs-up.html?ana=lnk

Some highlights:

19,000 new jobs are expected this year after 13,000 last year.

Unemployment rate could drop below 5% in a year.

Office space is at an 88 percent occupancy rate and rising with very little new coming on line this year.

Retail is at 94 percent occupancy. Only 400K square feet coming on line this year. That's about the size of one large Ikea.

Last year, about 39,000 people moved to Austin. Expectations for this year, 42,000, and 48,000 more in 2013.

The 2010 census showed population of 790K, so the current growth is over 5% per year. How many other top 25 cities are even close to that?

What would be your investing approach in Austin?

3Reply
320 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
14y

Apple is creating 3600 new jobs here now:

Press Release

Austin is the place to be!

See this reply in the discussion

182 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    12y

    14k Dell employees in the Central Texas area. Dell is going private to restructure its emphasis to higher profit areas outide selling computers. Could have an impact on the area depending on how that plays out.

    That said, anyone have an estimate on how much it costs to build in the area?I heard one guy say he coulld build for $80 a foot--couple years ago at a xmas party. I figure if I can buy and rehab 1200-1500 sq ft for about that much I will have gotten the lot for free. But I havent seen a deal like that in a while.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    It is possible to build in Austin for $80 PSF, but that is tightly managed and not high end quality.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Austin's economy ranked No. 1 in the country

    2 Dallas

    3 Provo

    4 Houston

    5 San Jose

  • Real Estate Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2012 · 210 posts · 15 votes
    12y

    Can't find anything central for 200/ft, let alone 150/ft...

  • Real Estate Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 50 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    I went through the "austin is hot" thread. I am so excited about the Austin and wish I had read the posts earlier.

    I live in Austin. I have been investing in SFRs in Austin since 2009. I will be closing my #12 SFR in NW in a couple of weeks. All of my holdings are in NW Austin.

    I am thinking to expand my portfolio into south 78745 and the east of Austin closing to downtown where I heard is very hot right now.

    I am also thinking to acquire land/lot to build and sell. I heard that the construction cost is around $80/SF that seems to be pretty high, if including the land and other costs, the total cost will be easily above $110-120/SF in NW area. Considering the time, money and risks I put in, I am not sure if building new is worth it. I read some article that the average profit for a builder is less than 7% nationwide, is it true?

    @Jon klaus and @Bryan Hancock, I have been following your posts, you guys have done awesome jobs in Austin. I really want to learn from you. You have been buying lots and building houses in Austin for a while. What's your profit criteria for a project? 10%? 15%? 20% or even higher? do you build single family or multi-family?

    Thanks!

    Joe

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 231 posts · 260 votes
    12y

    I take an interest in urban planning and am curious as to how these Texas cities will handle population growth in their urban form.

    For those of you in Austin, just curious to how you see the city growing? Suburban growth in the North or are affluent people moving closer into town. I've heard the traffic in Austin has become a fairly big problem so this may play into it.

    I've never been to Houston, and it confounds me some as it seems people there really like to live far out (Sugarland, the Woodlands, etc...). I've also read that people in Houston average driving 37 miles a day, the most of any metro in the US. However, they don't seem to have the traffic issues too badly yet, due to really large highways and there doesn't seem to be all that many affluent people moving into the City (actually heard mixed things about that).

  • Real Estate Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 50 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    The heavy traffic jam areas in Austin are the I-35 cross the downtown and the loop 1 bridge cross the town lake. The other areas are fairly good. I heard that the loop 1 upgrade construction has started.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    "You have been buying lots and building houses in Austin for a while. What's your profit criteria for a project? 10%? 15%? 20% or even higher? do you build single family or multi-family?"

    Joe, I want to make $100k per door. It's getting harder. 2 of my next deals will require investments of @ $700k each.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Traffic is a major "driver" of the near downtown boom.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 103 posts · 19 votes
    12y

    @Jon Klaus It is most certainly getting harder and harder for downtown properties in Austin right now. We are doing a few new builds in that area ight now (East part of town)--but I prefer buying existing properties in Austin for faster ROI and steady cash flow.

    Since the lots are so expensive, the $100K return on doors you seek seems to become a smaller and smaller profit margin.

  • Real Estate Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2012 · 210 posts · 15 votes
    12y

    @Robert Piller what zips are you buying near downtown that give you steady cash flow?

  • Real Estate Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 50 posts · 6 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Jon Klaus:
    "You have been buying lots and building houses in Austin for a while. What's your profit criteria for a project? 10%? 15%? 20% or even higher? do you build single family or multi-family?"
    Joe, I want to make $100k per door. It's getting harder. 2 of my next deals will require investments of @ $700k each.

    wow, that's a lot of money!

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Robert is investing in some of my east Austin projects in 78702. Jon and I have done some projects together too, but there is certainly enough to keep everyone busy.

    The city is trying to encourage growth east of town, but the traditional north/south growth corridors are still the most active. 78745 is pretty active right now too as it 78723.

  • Real Estate Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 50 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    78745 is the area I want to invest in.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    The Milken Institute recently released its Best-Performing Cities 2013 Report, and the Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos metropolitan statistical area ranks No. 1 among 200 large American cities.

    The report focuses on where jobs are being created and sustained.

    Austin is number one out of 200 large US cities
  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    82 degrees at the moment. Not so bad when there is snow on the ground in 49 states. (FL wins that one).

    But here's the more impressive number:

    Austin area gains 110 new residents every day

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 29 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    :) This is why it's such a competitive market in Austin right now.

    I'm loving every minute of it!

  • Real Estate Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 50 posts · 6 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Jon Klaus:
    82 degrees at the moment. Not so bad when there is snow on the ground in 49 states. (FL wins that one).

    But here's the more impressive number:

    Austin area gains 110 new residents every day

    Good to know. I am actually hoping that Austin can slow down a little bit in the second half of the year...

  • Involved In Real Estate · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 41 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    Just found this thread, and realized it's over 2 years old, and the market is just as HOT now as it was TWO years ago.

    The growth here is incredible. At the lower end of the market (Under $175K), we are experiencing multiple offer situations for just about every property that hits the MLS. Finding good off market properties is a full time job, and still doesn't yield much.

    As we enter the busy spring of 2014, I fully expect homes to increase in value even more, rental rates to move up, and properties to move very quickly.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Census data says Austin is still the fastest growing large metro.

    4.7% unemployment. Is job growth even faster than the population growth? The numbers seem to say so.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Exits on projects we're developing are getting crazy right now. I am honestly considering stopping development and shifting to something else soon given the lunacy.

    It will be fun while it lasts ;-)

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Bryan Hancock:
    Exits on projects we're developing are getting crazy right now. I am honestly considering stopping development and shifting to something else soon given the lunacy.

    It will be fun while it lasts ;-)

    Just build and maintain your hedges, Bryan. And get more selective on deals.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 146 posts · 21 votes
    12y

    @Bryan Hancock What area of real estate are you thinking of switching to?

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 146 posts · 21 votes
    12y

    Another example of Austin real estate being on fire...Austin is the fastest growing city in the US. Like others, I just wish our city would fix the traffic instead of buying golf courses and building billion dollar soccer complexes.

    http://www.forbes.com/sites/erincarlyle/2014/02/14/americas-20-fastest-growing-cities/

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    It takes a long time to fix a traffic problem like Austin's. Also, most cities bigger than Austin have bad traffic, and more area to navigate. As an investor, you can make the problem work for you. Buy close in where people really want to be to avoid the traffic. It's expensive, but appreciation is enhanced by the traffic problems. People will pay a premium to avoid it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.