Austin is Hot

Austin is Hot

Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2012/02/23/forecast-austin-job-growth-revs-up.html?ana=lnk

Some highlights:

19,000 new jobs are expected this year after 13,000 last year.

Unemployment rate could drop below 5% in a year.

Office space is at an 88 percent occupancy rate and rising with very little new coming on line this year.

Retail is at 94 percent occupancy. Only 400K square feet coming on line this year. That's about the size of one large Ikea.

Last year, about 39,000 people moved to Austin. Expectations for this year, 42,000, and 48,000 more in 2013.

The 2010 census showed population of 790K, so the current growth is over 5% per year. How many other top 25 cities are even close to that?

What would be your investing approach in Austin?

3Reply
308 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
14y

Apple is creating 3600 new jobs here now:

Press Release

Austin is the place to be!

See this reply in the discussion

182 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Austin is insane right now. We finally locked up another deal today. We were one of many offers and we were below the high bid. Ours was selected because we closed another 2 projects right across the street on Crest.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    13y

    I own ten houses in Austin and get multiple letters from investors everyday!! I have friends trying to buy but all props have multiple offers and go over asking price! It is certainly hot! I think it will continue to go up too based on job creation and popularity...
    I think I may need to look at San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, etc for new deals?

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Jennifer, are you getting offers from these "buyers?" Anything close to market value?

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    We're sitting on a lot of lot inventory right now waiting for permits or where projects are in process. We should continue to get lift from the shortage because the city isn't letting anything out of permitting right now. For those that live in Austin make sure to complain to your representatives about this craziness.

  • Real Estate Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2012 · 210 posts · 15 votes
    13y

    Bryan Hancock

    How much inventory do you think is stuck in permitting? I see Austin's permits are through the roof.. has me nervous there may be a lot of supply hitting in 2013-15.

    Also you seem to be the expert.. which zipcodes are the cupsy zipcodes to focus on at this point... everything has run up so much!

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    I don't think there is any risk of a deluge of permits hitting at once. I have confidence that the city will continue to be inept and the permitting will get more and more backlogged while they bury their heads in the sand and/or try to pin the risk on the architects with their "shortcut process."

    You could probably look at the permits issued by month and multiply by about 4 or so. The city is backlogged about 4 months right now and I expect the queue to continue increasing.

    I'm not sure what would make something *cupsy* for you, but these are the zip codes I like the best for new construction or development:

    1. 78702
    2. 78704
    3. 78745
    4. 78723
    5. 78721
    6. 78722

    I own product in 1, 2, and 4 right now. 78723 is better for flippers if you want to compete on thin margins. 78721 is still a bit risky, but you can find good stuff just east of Airport. If you go east more then things get dicier, but inventory is currently so low you should be fine. If the market turns you'd be better served being in 78704 or 78702 given the proximity to downtown. Good luck finding anything at the right price though. Expect to only win 5% of so of what you bid on.

    78745 is an up-and-coming zip code and a lot of new development is happening there. The exits are a bit lower, but the dirt is cheaper too.

    78722 and 78723 I am less familiar with, but I know people are doing well near the old airport. These areas are inferior to 02 and 04 IMO, but there are still very viable projects there as there are in most zip codes with a 20-mile radius of downtown.

  • Liberal, KS · Member since 2012 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Yeah...it's Humid too.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    13y

    @jon klaus
    I am not getting any true blue offers. It is not my intent to sell but there appear to be a ton of investors and buyers right now. My props is 78704 get quite a bit of attention and next would be 78727....
    I keep reading there will be a shortage for a while.. How long do you think?

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Catching up to demand will take at least a year in my opinion.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    The city woes seem to be getting marginally better right now, but there are a lot of newbies down there pissing off our architects. With the heightened interest I expect permit requests to go up and queues to lengthen. Units are being absorbed very quickly right now.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Austin, Travis County make fastest-growing list.

    3% population growth last year.

    http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2013/03/14/austin-travis-county-make.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2013-03-14&u=wXyDzp6mR42Jn7hlFlv7FtjZIjb

    Other Texas cities aren't letting up, either.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 354 posts · 98 votes
    13y

    Jon Klaus Thanks for sharing. It always makes me feel good to hear these reports about Austin's growth.

  • Real Estate Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2012 · 210 posts · 15 votes
    13y

    So what is in store for 2013 and 2014? arguably what we have seen in 2012 represents the last leg of snap-back into a strong market. Can we continue seeing +10% price increases for another 2 years?

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    10% lift in the markets I am building in is not out of the question. The supply is so limited and the city is so inept prices should rise quickly.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y
  • Investor · Clarksville, IN · Member since 2012 · 226 posts · 96 votes
    13y

    What is your outlook on San Antonio?

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Austin is on almost all of those top lists now. Things are certainly booming here right now.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 452 posts · 309 votes
    13y

    Donald Hendricks I really like San Antonio. If I lived there, I'd be looking for the opportunities.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Austin Homes Selling Quick--Really Quick

    http://m.bizjournals.com/austin/blog/real-estate/2013/05/abor-report-homes-condos-in-austin.html?ana=e_du_wknd&s=article_du&ed=2013-05-25&u=wXyDzp6mR42Jn7hlFlv7FtjZIjb&t=1369684102&r=full

    I keep seeing homes in my farm area go pending immediately. It's getting a lot harder to buy, but the selling takes care of itself.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y
  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Most of the on-market deals we're bidding on have in excess of 10 offers. Most of what we're doing is off market of late, but we have snagged a few on market too.

    Austin is definitely hot!

  • Real Estate Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2012 · 210 posts · 15 votes
    13y

    is Austin too hot?

  • Real Estate Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2012 · 210 posts · 15 votes
    13y

    There was a property in 78741 that was listed on MLS at $250K and did not sell in winter 2012. I negotiated direclty will seller and got him down to $230K in March -- it was a tough call, but I passed. Seller listed the same property in May at $250K, albeit with minor improvements (I peg $5K worth) and sold it for $270K. Nuts!

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    That's what 2- months of inventory will do to prices and demand. The city is really going to create a housing shortage with their incompetency. They'll soon be pounding on the "we need affordable housing" drums loudly.

    Austin's average home price passed $300k for the first time ever recently. That used to be an expensive house in Austin. No mas!

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    USA's Fastest Growing Counties since 2010

    #1 Williamson County, immediately north of Austin, includes Round Rock and Georgetown. The county has increased employment by 73% since 2000, the third best job growth in the country. These are good jobs, I.e. Dell is based in Round Rock.

    #3 Hays County, immediately south of Austin. North of San Antonio. Includes San Marcos.

    No sign of slowdown in Austin growth, yet.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.