Austin is Hot

Austin is Hot

Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2012/02/23/forecast-austin-job-growth-revs-up.html?ana=lnk

Some highlights:

19,000 new jobs are expected this year after 13,000 last year.

Unemployment rate could drop below 5% in a year.

Office space is at an 88 percent occupancy rate and rising with very little new coming on line this year.

Retail is at 94 percent occupancy. Only 400K square feet coming on line this year. That's about the size of one large Ikea.

Last year, about 39,000 people moved to Austin. Expectations for this year, 42,000, and 48,000 more in 2013.

The 2010 census showed population of 790K, so the current growth is over 5% per year. How many other top 25 cities are even close to that?

What would be your investing approach in Austin?

3Reply
347 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
14y

Apple is creating 3600 new jobs here now:

Press Release

Austin is the place to be!

See this reply in the discussion

182 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Charleston, SC · Member since 2015 · 106 posts · 39 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Guy Gimenez:

    @Kristina Modares

    Just don't speculate when buying (ie buying based on projected appreciation)...instead, the numbers must work from the get go. 

    I remember clearly those investors who in 2006 thought the good times would never end and they paid a heavy financial price.  Optimism is good...blind optimism is very bad.

    Just look at what happened recently to oil prices and the resulting layoffs. Think those layoffs impacted communities across Texas?  Who predicted those layoffs?  The people who study the oil markets on a daily basis? No!  My point it this Kristina.  Past performance does not equal future performance...fundamentals still matter and you should move forward with eyes wide open and not depend on a frenzy mentality.  

    Yeah, I understand. I currently rent in Clarksville and am obviously spoiled with the location. I know I should not rent...and even more so when I am an agent. If I buy on the east side I will most likely spend more than I should but this initial investment will also be my home and I am willing to sacrifice a little for the quality of life I am trying to preserve. I just do not plan on investing in Austin anymore after I buy a homestead. I'm thinking of seeking other ways of finding these east side properties...and get off the MLS.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    Where on the east side do you like, Kristina?  It has become quite a varied market depending on neighborhood. 

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    Great thread Jon. What appears to have happened with Austin is it has created a cultural momentum. The folks who leave LA for Austin...well let's face it are the cooler ones - the creative ones, the educated ones, the cultured ones vs the other Texas cities. This cultural momentum can buck trends. I will not be surprised that for many years ahead in Austin, that when the rest are sideways, Austin still advances. If you think prices are high now...wait until you look back 10 years...you just might be kicking yourself for not "over paying" back in 2015. It is rare to have the cultural mo in your backyard and if it is not one industry centered it is pretty hard to stop.

  • Real Estate Broker · Charleston, SC · Member since 2015 · 106 posts · 39 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jon Klaus:

    Where on the east side do you like, Kristina?  It has become quite a varied market depending on neighborhood. 

     It's very true...I want to stay as close to downtown as I can for 250...I'm not quite sure what that will mean yet. 

  • Investor / Syndicator · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 366 posts · 220 votes
    11y

    i agree with Joe Picket on this. Austin is a great market, but its an equity game. 

    For value and cash flow look at SA, Kyle, Leander, etc. Best strategy for A-town is the owner occupied strategy that you convert to a rental.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Mike Krieg:

    i agree with Joe Picket on this. Austin is a great market, but its an equity game. 

    For value and cash flow look at SA, Kyle, Leander, etc. Best strategy for A-town is the owner occupied strategy that you convert to a rental.

     Welcome to BiggerPockets, Mike. 

    Rehabbing and new construction work pretty well in Austin, too. 

  • Real Estate Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 785 posts · 190 votes
    11y

    I like my steady cash flow on owner finance in SA, I don't care about appreciation much. Since I switched over to owner finance from rentals a few years ago, my cash flow has increased and stress decreased. And it's easy to make it work in SA because I can still get an ok house for 55-60k even with the higher prices right now. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.