Rehabbing Your First House

Rehabbing Your First House

Real Estate Investor · West Orange, NJ · Member since 2012 · 130 posts · 19 votes

I know many of you may have seen the topic and thought about your first fix and flip. I actually would like to get some of your opinion's on rehabbing my first home to live in. Let me explain. My wife and I are getting ready to buy our first house and we are going to rehab it and live in it. We are getting an FHA 203k loan. We'll be able to include all renovations in the mortgage and can use any amount on repairs as long as the value after the work makes sense.

So the way I see it we can pick up a nice place at about 65% of arv less the repairs and really do an outstanding rehab heres an example using my last deal's numbers.

I find a place with an Arv of $380k
I buy the place for $175k
To do a regular rehab might be about 60k but say I wanted to put about $100k into it. I would be into this place for about $275k and have a spectacular looking house. one of the best on the block. And im stil about $100k below fmv. I'll have an amazing house with a ton of equity that I could live in very comfortably. Does this make sense?

The second part is how i manage a task like this and how we shoupd screen general contractors. My wife and i have a vision for what we want our house to look like but with this type of a project we want to make sure we're careful and get the most bang for our buck. Any thoughts from anyone familiar with rehabs? Do contractors usually have vision or do i have to design every detail?

0Reply
115 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2012 · 184 posts · 76 votes
14y

Here's my idea: Do a rehab to sell first. You will learn sooooo much that you just can't learn unless you actually do it. You won't be as uptight since you won't be living there- maybe you will have fewer disagreements with your wife too . You will learn codes, order of operation and rhythm of rehabs. You will hopefully have some good contractors and definitely have ones you will never hire again.

You will have a better chance of getting what you actually want and/or can really have in your home. Your wife will have her head out of the HGTV clouds. Everyone I know who has done their own home as their first major rehab either says "I would do so many things differently" or "I will never do this again".

See this reply in the discussion

60 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 569 votes
    14y

    My advice, don't do it. Looks at most renovations that normal people do, turn on HGVT sometime. They spend $40 or 60k in improvements and increase their house price by $20 - 40k. Normal people don't have the experience or connections to rehab for profit, it is an acquired skill.

    Some of the problems I see. Based on the rehab you're talking about, the house won't be livable at purchase. Is that eligible for a 203k loan? I know FHA has livability requirements on their normal loans.

    Assuming it's not livable, and you can get the loan, you are going to be paying both the $275k mortgage and your rent until you can move in. What's the going to do to your cash flow?

    How is your wife, is she an emotional shopper? Personally, my wife can't see "potential". She sees dirt, ugly, messy. Is your wife going to support your vision of turning trash to treasure?

    Last, it doesn't sound like you have a vision of what you want. You say you do, but then you ask if the contractor will do it for you. You're basically looking for a custom home builder but looking to pay contractor rates, that's probably not going to turn out well. Every time he goes a direction from his vision and your vision tells him to go some place else, it's going to add $$$$.

    Unless you really know what you're doing, let someone else do the hard work for you and buy a home you love. Finding a house at 70% of ARV - repair costs will be a lot of work. Managing a $100k remodel of a house is a HUGE amount of work. There's a lot of risk in this. Sure, it could work out great... you just don't strike me as equipped to jump in at that level just yet. Go find a short sale or foreclosure that just needs a cosmetic update. Less money, less risk, still a nice reward.

  • Real Estate Agent · Hackettstown, NJ · Member since 2011 · 206 posts · 62 votes
    14y

    I think it is a good idea, if like Nathan said, your wife and finances can handle it.

    The contractors have some good ideas usually, but you need to keep things in budget, because things can get out of scope real fast.

  • Real Estate Investor · West Orange, NJ · Member since 2012 · 130 posts · 19 votes
    14y

    Okay let me clarify and thanks for the feedback. When i say id want to do $100k in repairs im just calling out the number it would take to have new kitchen, new bathrooms elegant crown moldings, finishing the basement, gorgeous landscaping, new hardwood floor if necessary, central air. I would like a master bath with a huge whirlpool tub and ceramic tile shower. I would also need a huge walk in closet in the master. I would really like to add a deck or patio in the back. That is pretty much it for the most part. So forgive me for being so vague in the first forum, but we definitely have a vision for what we want. My wife also watches hgtv all day and we're together on this idea. Looking at this do you guys think ive overestimated the repairs? I'd love to hear your opinions.

  • Real Estate Investor · West Orange, NJ · Member since 2012 · 130 posts · 19 votes
    14y

    Also i want to go all out on my kitchen and bathrooms. so please take that into consideration. And i believe FHA will cover up to 6 months of rent payments with the rehabilitation loan.

  • Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 450 votes
    14y

    You will be required to have a licensed contractor to do the work and invoice for the funds that come from the 203K rehab monies. If you are saavy and have the right relationship with the right contractor, you could work around the contractor some and save a lot on his mark-up. You'd both have to be on the same page and it would require the contractor's cooperation.

    I just think you will be very hard pressed to find that kind of ARV in the type of neighborhood you are looking into. A 380K house might not be that much bigger than a 175K house in a different neighborhood. So, what that means is that you are not going up in value because of the size of the house, but rather, the value of the land is increasing. So, the overall discount you get on a property due to distress of the structure becomes less a percentage of the overall price for the house and land combined.

    Also, I have always heard the adage, "you don't want to own the best house on the worst block, you want to own the worst house on the best block." You are talking about shining above the neighbors, and chances are you won't realize all that above and beyond shine you put into the property upon resale.

    Ultimately, doing a 203K loan gives you the potential for added value. And even though I think you will have a pretty hard time finding the deal you propose in your example...anything is possible. But if you have not rehabbed in the past, you will be quickly amazed at how quick and easy you get beyond scope as what Keith Lutz was saying. It all depend on your comfort level and competence. 100K is a lot of money to tossing around on materials and labor if you don't know what you are doing. In this case, the right contractor makes all the difference.

  • Real Estate Investor · West Orange, NJ · Member since 2012 · 130 posts · 19 votes
    14y

    Great stuff Brian. I just did a deal just like this and wholesaled the deal for $18k. Im only looking at great neighborhoods. The neighborhood was a $400k neighborhood and this house which was a little unique but still could be turned into a beauty i locked up for $175. Im more concerned about the repair costs than anything. I'll find the house. Any house in agreat neighborhood that is a colonial and has the frame i want will work. Im not going to wholesale a deal unless its 65% of arv less repairs. So in the case of a standard nj wholesale.

    Lets say the arv is 400k
    Repairs are 50k
    In order to wholesale this and make 10k id have to lock it up for 200k

    This is a deal that happens all day long around the usa, agree?
    So lets say that repairs for the way i want to lay the house out come to 70k.
    I lock up the contract for 200k. Put 70k into it and there we have it. I basicly realizing the wholesale profit that would be made and the rehab profit that would be made and i have a dream house for my family to live in.
    I havent done this before but i believe ive left enough margin for error. If there is something im missing please fill me in. Sometimes you dont know what you dont know. Thanks guys.

  • Investor · Hampton Bays, NY · Member since 2009 · 907 posts · 258 votes
    14y

    Building or renovating a home to live in is very different than building or renovating a home as an investment.
    I have done both and this is my experience:
    ARV is a term I would never use when renovating or building my own home. This is because invariably emotion trumps value. You will find that your renovation cost will sky rocket because your will always want the better tile, stove top, counter top. and if you can afford it why not after all it is you home. Don't confuse your home with an investment. you will most likely put features into your home that the market will not pay for upon a sale. As you have said , the finished product will be the best on the block. The net result for me is that I went $200,000 over budget on what should have been a $700,000 project. In the end we have a home that we love but we are under no illusion that it is an investment.

  • Real Estate Investor · West Orange, NJ · Member since 2012 · 130 posts · 19 votes
    14y

    Great Michael. I agree with your outlook. I will want the best of everything. I dont know if wholesaling is in your investment strategy but if anyone does if you can imagine taking one of your deals that you'd pass off to a rehabber and make 10-20k on, the rehabber turns around and makes 40-60k after repairs, holding costs, commissions and fees. Imagine you buying this property from the start. This is room you have for above and beyond renovations. NOw if you use it all you're not smart. This is not going to be an investment property but it is an investment. My wife and i have talked about living here for about 7 years and then buying our dream home.

    The only thing that seems critical is working with the correct general contractor which was in my original post. How do i screen these guys. Also do you guys have any idea what the repair costs i mentioned above would come to. Thanks and God bless.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Deshone Drummond:

    Lets say the arv is 400k
    Repairs are 50k
    In order to wholesale this and make 10k id have to lock it up for 200k

    This is a deal that happens all day long around the usa, agree?

    Disagree. Not saying they don't happen, but they're not as common as you think and in most parts of the country, they don't exist.

    In your example, a rehabber who gets this deal would generate about 40% ROI and about 30% profit as compared to resale. Many rehabbers are happy with numbers half of these.

    If I could regularly find these types of deals, I'd have a lot more money...

  • Investor · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2011 · 100 posts · 86 votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Deshone Drummond:

    The second part is how i manage a task like this and how we shoupd screen general contractors.

    If you decide to move forward with your plan keep in mind that the 203k plan pays contractors in a very specific manner. Some contractors won't deal with the 203k projects for this reason as well as others. However, there are contractors and consultants listed on HUD's website that have been "approved" for the 203K deals. I am not sure that you will find one of the best cost and quality from the list but it may be a good place to start. Also, if you don't use one from the list be sure to mention that you are using the 203K program to any contractors that you have bid the project.

    https://entp.hud.gov/idapp/html/f17cnsltdata.cfm

    Originally posted by Nathan Emmert:

    Assuming it's not livable, and you can get the loan, you are going to be paying both the $275k mortgage and your rent until you can move in. What's the going to do to your cash flow?

    Not to get too off topic but I believe he would be able to roll up to the first 6 months of mtg payments into the loan to cover the time that they could not live there...

    Like the others above, I wouldn’t look at this as much of an “RE investment” (which I don’t think you are looking to do)I but rather as a way to better invest your new home…

  • Investor · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2011 · 100 posts · 86 votes
    14y

    [url]https://entp.hud.gov/idapp/html/f17cnsltdata.cfm

    how do you include a link????

  • Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 569 votes
    14y

    https://entp.hud.gov/idapp/html/f17cnsltdata.cfm

    Hit the button before and after the link... open and closing parentheses.

  • Real Estate Investor · West Orange, NJ · Member since 2012 · 130 posts · 19 votes
    14y

    my man Jonathan. Thanks brother. Im about to check the link out. I will certainly keep you guys updated.

  • Real Estate Agent · Hackettstown, NJ · Member since 2011 · 206 posts · 62 votes
    14y

    One thing I learned recently was obviously to ask for references, which of course they will give you the names of there "Best most satisfied" clients. What you then need to ask for is "Tell me about a job that did not go so right?" Then Silence, because they will be stumped someone asked them. After they get done tripping over there own words, you are looking for say an example where a pipe was hit and water leaked. Did they tell the homeowner, "your insurance will cover this" or did they pick up the phone and get there insurance to cover it... things like that. Then get that persons phone number and call them to verify.

    Deshone Drummond, you actually just missed an excellent "Re-habbing" workshop this past weekend put on by Tri-State Mixer, I have notes I can share with you, it was the best $30 I ever spent for 8 hours of information!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    14y

    Deshone...

    What the hell. I better be invited for chicken wings and chardonnay once youre done...

    I for one would spend as much money as I could to make myself happy. Even if you didnt end up with equity... Peace of mind and happiness have a ton of eqity attached to them...

    Best build in a "Man" room with a half dozen flat screens too.

  • Real Estate Agent · Hackettstown, NJ · Member since 2011 · 206 posts · 62 votes
    14y

    Michael Quarles,

    Chardonnay! You can tell that's a West-Coast drinker! We are Beer and wings! LOL!

    Except for maybe Michael Lauther, being in the Hamptons and all!

  • Real Estate Investor · West Orange, NJ · Member since 2012 · 130 posts · 19 votes
    14y

    Awesome Keith, im definitely going to ask those question. I love the way it puts them on the spot and i will watch for their first reaction. You can tell from a persons eyes. Everybody in the sales and services business knows that sometimes things dont go as planned. The honest guy will tell you the truth and hope you can respect how thwy handled the situation. The shisters will try to talk their way around it. Great advice Keith. Thanks brother

    Ps i would love to take a look at those notes. How can we arrange something. Can i meet you and photo copy them. Let me know bro. Thanks.p

  • Real Estate Agent · Hackettstown, NJ · Member since 2011 · 206 posts · 62 votes
    14y

    I sent you a colleague request, so accept that and we can hook up.

  • Real Estate Investor · West Orange, NJ · Member since 2012 · 130 posts · 19 votes
    14y

    Lol @ Michael cmon man of course youre coming through. Youre a major part of my business but like Keith said youre going to have to come off the chardonnay unless youre talking about baked chicken wings, rofl.

    And Michael I understand your point as well. I could certainly do some incredible things in the house but i think the things above are pretty much all i would want. No additions or anything, but i do want to find the house that has the right layout. The master bedroom, walkin closet and master bath are very important to me. I want to get these in and im praying they wont be too difficult. Other than that the kitchen, deck or patio and central air. How much do you guys think this stuff would cost?

  • Rehabber · Vernon Rockville, CT · Member since 2011 · 18 posts · 3 votes
    14y

    Deshone Drummond another thing to consider when dealing with FHA 203k is the payout to the contractors. FHA will only disburse funds a certain number of times (based on the size of the project) and they also require an inspection for each disbursement. What this means is you may have to get your contractors to agree to some specific payment plans, and you might have to lump payment for separate jobs into the same disbursement. Also you have to pay for each inspection accompanying each disbursement. They want to inspect the completed work to make sure they aren't just throwing the rehab money into your vacation fund.

    For example you may have to lump the roofing contractors payment in with the electricians and have the inspector inspect them both before cutting the check. That sounds OK to you, but how do you explain to the electrician that he can't get paid until the roof is done? Just something to watch out for if you are putting together a team of contractors not being handled by a GC.

    Also I second what Jonathan said - don't get a 203k from a lender who isn't very familiar with them. They have special requirements that you don't want to hold you up or catch you unawares. FHA loans can also scare the seller as the FHA inspector can be as anal as he wants and delay the whole process over something like chipping paint on a windowsill that the seller must fix prior to lender approval.

    That said, being able to leverage the rehab money out of the lender is quite nice and on certain loan types you can get a ton of money (provided you can prove it with invoices, and you are not doing structural modifications, or whatever the requirements of the loan type are).

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    14y

    Personally I don't think we investors should type outloud about possible ways to orcastrate lender fraud.

  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2012 · 184 posts · 76 votes
    14y

    Here's my idea: Do a rehab to sell first. You will learn sooooo much that you just can't learn unless you actually do it. You won't be as uptight since you won't be living there- maybe you will have fewer disagreements with your wife too . You will learn codes, order of operation and rhythm of rehabs. You will hopefully have some good contractors and definitely have ones you will never hire again.

    You will have a better chance of getting what you actually want and/or can really have in your home. Your wife will have her head out of the HGTV clouds. Everyone I know who has done their own home as their first major rehab either says "I would do so many things differently" or "I will never do this again".

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    14y

    Your chances of getting ripped off or having something go badly when your first rehab is your first primary home purchase is about 100%, I'd say. This doesn't say anything about you, but about the incredible variables of rehabbing. You can over budget on every single item and then have something show up that you didn't know was an item. Even experienced rehabbers get caught off guard. At least do one cosmetic rehab before you buy a major rehab. Or buy a house that's live-able now and don't rehab until you know more about working with contractors and subs and permitting in your area.

    There is truly no replacement for experience. I was lucky in that I was paid to supervise rehab and improvement projects and learned a lot about houses before buying them. The people and business who hired me were too cheap to hire real GCs so they felt they were still coming out ahead if I went over-budget. So, I was lucky in that my mistakes with contractors and subs and material costs were covered by the people who paid me. You won't have the luxury.

    Since your primary residence isn't really a investment, don't get caught up thinking you have to buy today because there will be no deals tomorrow. If you are liking buying and selling, buy the next one knowing that you are going to sell retail. You won't be sorry if you do this before you a buy a house to live in.

  • Real Estate Investor · West Orange, NJ · Member since 2012 · 130 posts · 19 votes
    14y

    Thanks everyone. I definitely have seen the bad. My cousin bought his house with the same loan. He thought he got a deal but it was a bad neighborhood and he ran out of money. The house has been half done for 4 years. Im not going that route. I have faith and enough serious players in this business as friends to counsel with. Im going to take the leap of faith on this one and work with one GC who God sends my way. I'll weed out the crooked ones. I think im smart enough to learn doing and to buy the deal cheap enough to have a big margin for error not that i intend to use it. If i cant find houses at 65% of arv then i shouldnt be in this business. At those margins we're going to win on this.

    I know its not easy but it is pretty simple. The rest is implementation. I'll keep you guys posted the whole way. Thanks and God bless.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    14y

    Deshone Drummond You say your cousin bought a house, got the same rehab loan and ran out of money. Buying in a bad neighborhood shouldn't have made it so that he ran out of money. What's your take on went wrong?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.