My proof that Biggerpockets works

My proof that Biggerpockets works

Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes

So I've been posting on this board for ~5 years now. I started knowing almost nothing about real estate (and still know very little tbh) but I spent a lot of time in the community and the immersion alone helped me grow. I almost exclusively post reply's on the board and rarely post new topic discussions but yesterday a friend was apparently trolling me and found my very first BP post, it was embarrassing to see, but it was interesting to see how much can change for those who spend time on this board. (I'll include that post at the bottom)

So I wanted to make this post to reflect on my time spent and hopefully encourage those beginners who don't post as much as they should or have a hard time gaining traction in this place. Participating in Biggerpockets has given me a tremendous return on investment, and it will for you as well if you commit. 

This initial post is nothing special, it's vague and not unlike a thousand other posts from beginners we see each day. Hardly anyone even posted on it, and yet I continued to inject my annoying comments into this forum over and over. I'm sure I've pissed a LOT of people off along they way, but I've also been fortunate to help a lot of people along the way as well, I enjoy doing both of these equally ;) ;) 

I stuck with real estate and now own 8 SFR and a 24 unit multifamily. I've made a ton of real life close friends through this site. Last year I started writing for the BP blog which has been incredibly rewarding and then I was asked to be on the BP podcast (and CRUSHED it!). This year they made me a moderator as well.

While bragging is fun, my real point is that this community will mirror your efforts. If you lurk, you can learn a lot, but if you interact, you can go stratospheric. It's not always that direct sometimes you have to put in a lot of work for very little return but over time it compounds in your favor significantly. I urge beginners to invest their time into this place, it's given me some of the highest returns on investment of anything I've done. 

I can't tag all the people who I would like to, lots of people have helped me selflessly and I'm grateful for them. Even more of you have tolerated my endless pot-stirring and smack talk and I'm double grateful for that.

@Mindy Jensen @Lee Huffman @Spencer Cornelia @Gary Crawford @Neil Henderson @Russell Brazil, all the Moderators, @dawn brenengen, @jay hinrichs, @j scott, @matt faircloth, and so many more. Thank you all very much. (if I forgot to name you and you're offended....good) 

Ok that's all, just neat to see this progress, I love this place and thought I would share. I will see you all at BPCON! 

_______________________________________________________________________________________

ORIGINAL POST \/

I've been reading, dreaming, and planning a real estate career for a while now. Making some moves, but on the cusp of doing more. I'm 30 years old living in Fayetteville/Fort Bragg North Carolina

I bought a condo a few years ago (which I didn't get a great deal on) for $65K, I just started renting that one out.

Last month I bought a house for my fiance. This was a foreclosure, I paid 54k and I believe I should have an easy 45k in equity in it, but I can't rent that one out as I need it for my family. I plan to pay it down quick to have access to the equity.

My long term goal is to buy enough rental properties to live (very) comfortably in, but my short term goal is to flip houses as a full time job. I'm having difficulty making this transition though, as many people do I'm sure.

I currently make pretty good money working full time (~70k/year) and I have excellent credit, so buying houses with conventional funding is easy, and building cash is easy. However I work a monster schedule so time to flip on the side is pretty much non-existent.

I come to BP for help! In my head, the perfect option would be to find a mentor who I could work for and teach me but no such opportunity has become apparent yet. How can I make the transition and flip houses full time time and give up my job security? I'm generally not a man who lets fear stop him from making moves but this has been tricky.

Also, I have pretty good knowledge of improvements, housework, and renovations in general. So it's not foreign to me, and I'll be getting my real estate license in the summer to try and find better deals. Sorry for the long and chaotic post!!!

28Reply
77 views

Most Popular Reply

JD MartinBusiness Member
Moderator
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
7y
Originally posted by @Spencer Cornelia:

@Alexander Felice Just imagine how many more units and properties you'd have if you spent time marketing for properties and less time at the barber shop

Bwahaha! We have a special corner just for him in the moderator's lounge. And I couldn't vote for his post because he might not be able to fit his head out the door :D

All seriousness, absolutely. You usually get out what you put in, with interest. You don't see too many 1000 post people here saying "I'm still trying to figure out my first deal" or "I can't find any deals". You do see a lot of people with 10 posts and they give up. That tends to be the difference.

Skyline Properties
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Colorado Springs · Member since 2016 · 232 posts · 150 votes
    7y

    Thanks for sharing. This site is an incredible asset! 

  • All Over, USA · Member since 2017 · 689 posts · 756 votes
    7y

    What was the trigger to jump to multi-family?

    This is my current mental road block.

    I’m currently collecting SFRs like baseball cards (Beanie Babies, POGS, Magic Cards, Pokemon cards, etc etc) but need to scale up.

    Time constraint from day job is a factor!

  • Alexander FelicePro Member
    OP
    Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Aaron Hunt:

    What was the trigger to jump to multi-family?

    This is my current mental road block.

    I’m currently collecting SFRs like baseball cards (Beanie Babies, POGS, Magic Cards, Pokemon cards, etc etc) but need to scale up.

    Time constraint from day job is a factor!

    There were a few triggers

    Last year when I was on the BP podcast I told the whole world about my secret little investing location and it seemed the entire investing community descended upon it. Prices went way up, I decided I didn't want to compete against beginners who were willing to buy at any price

    Biggest trigger was mortgage number 9. well I can only get 10 Fannie loans without doing some drastic alterations to my strategy. I was also getting sick of buying one at a time. So scale constraints really forced me to look at something bigger. SFR is a great way to learn, but it's no way to grow.

  • All Over, USA · Member since 2017 · 689 posts · 756 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Alexander Felice:
    Originally posted by @Aaron Hunt:

    What was the trigger to jump to multi-family?

    This is my current mental road block.

    I’m currently collecting SFRs like baseball cards (Beanie Babies, POGS, Magic Cards, Pokemon cards, etc etc) but need to scale up.

    Time constraint from day job is a factor!

    There were a few triggers

    Last year when I was on the BP podcast I told the whole world about my secret little investing location and it seemed the entire investing community descended upon it. Prices went way up, I decided I didn't want to compete against beginners who were willing to buy at any price

    Biggest trigger was mortgage number 9. well I can only get 10 Fannie loans without doing some drastic alterations to my strategy. I was also getting sick of buying one at a time. So scale constraints really forced me to look at something bigger. SFR is a great way to learn, but it's no way to grow.

    Makes sense. I rarely think about Mortgage #10. However, since both my name and my wife's are on all properties, and we're at #5 - this is likely something I have to take more seriously. Hopefully that will be our catalyst as well. I feel like we've just very comfortable as this has gotten easy/routine for us. We know a SFR deal and when to go after it - but being uncomfortable is actually what helps us grow. Thanks for the input!

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    Wow exactly where I am at right now, even the age is similar. I foresee myself getting there in a couple of years

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.