Turnkey Investment Properties

Turnkey Investment Properties

Property Manager · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 4 votes

Dear BiggerPockets Family;

I am relatively new to this site and still learning the basics of it all, but after listening to many of the podcasts, I kept hearing Brandon talk about posting on here as a great way to get involved. So here I go:

I currently live and work in St. Louis, MO as a Property Manager. I have been doing so for the past 2 years and over that time, come to the realization that I want to begin doing this for myself. I currently do not own any property but am interested in getting started. With that being said, I am wary of starting off my investment career with a major project (foreclosure, LRA, etc.). Instead, I have looked more into turnkey rental properties as a means of getting my “feet wet” and learning the basics of property ownership. Once I have the basics down, I’ll then begin to look into more complex and intricate properties.

What are some of the major issues with investing in Turnkey properties?

Any and all help is appreciated!

2Reply
51 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2019 · 499 posts · 259 votes
7y

@Eric Lopez There are people investing turnkey in St Louis as well. Why don't you look for properties there? If your a PM, you have a huge advantage of knowing what areas rent and what areas to stay away from. If I were you I would take advantage of your knowledge and connections in St Louis and invest in your backyard.

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · St. Louis · Member since 2018 · 44 posts · 23 votes
    7y

    Hey Eric! Welcome to BP.

    Where in St. Louis do you PM?

    My humble suggestion:

    Before you get started, read (or listen) to the BRRRR book. It makes a GREAT argument why adding value to properties exponentially grows your portfolio and wealth because your money isn't tied up in one property for a long time.

    Since you're a PM, I'm sure you have connections to contractors and could be more hands-off for a rehab. So, that is one direction you could go. Is find a trusted GC and have him manage most of the rehab if this is an area you feel uncomfortable with. 

    Or, the route my wife and I are going, we are looking into minor rehabs with only cosmetic updates in quickly appreciating areas (such as Benton Park/Benton Park West). This will not give us the equity to pull all of our money out of the deal with a refinance, but that is ok since we are house hacking and have put in less than 10k into the property. 

    In short, the downside of investing in turnkey is your capital is wrapped up in one property and will take years for you to save enough money to buy multiple properties. I'd suggest finding a value add property. Read more about it in the BRRRR book.

    PM me if you'd like to talk more! 

  • Rental Property Investor · North Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Eric Lopez

    Turnkey properties are a good way of getting started with minimal risk and the operator already has the property rent ready with a property manager in place. You will not see huge appreciation since the value was already created but it is a good entry point.

  • Property Manager · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Charles Carillo

    Thank you for the response Charles! I’ve always looked at Turnkey’s as a low risk/low reward type property for most investors, but for someone starting out as myself, it may be higher reward as I’ll be learning the first step in home buying.

    Thanks again for the response. I greatly appreciate it.

  • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Eric Lopez:

    Dear BiggerPockets Family;

    I am relatively new to this site and still learning the basics of it all, but after listening to many of the podcasts, I kept hearing Brandon talk about posting on here as a great way to get involved. So here I go:

    I currently live and work in St. Louis, MO as a Property Manager. I have been doing so for the past 2 years and over that time, come to the realization that I want to begin doing this for myself. I currently do not own any property but am interested in getting started. With that being said, I am wary of starting off my investment career with a major project (foreclosure, LRA, etc.). Instead, I have looked more into turnkey rental properties as a means of getting my “feet wet” and learning the basics of property ownership. Once I have the basics down, I’ll then begin to look into more complex and intricate properties.

    What are some of the major issues with investing in Turnkey properties?

    Any and all help is appreciated!

     Turnkey properties are a great way to get started. They are even a good way to invest OOS if that is what you are thinking of doing. If you go with a true Turnkey provider, then everything should be done and in place for you from the start. Including a tenant. A True Provider will not close on a property until it is rented. 

  • Property Manager · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Tom Ott

    Hi Tom,

    Thank you for your response. I have considered OOS investing and that was what initially got me into the idea of turnkey properties. I have a mentor that I have been discussing investment properties with and he has been hesitant on the idea of OOS investing, but with a solid and reputable PM company the idea does not scare me as much.

    I see you’re in Cleveland, I’ve got some family there!

    Thanks for the response and help.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2019 · 499 posts · 259 votes
    7y

    @Eric Lopez There are people investing turnkey in St Louis as well. Why don't you look for properties there? If your a PM, you have a huge advantage of knowing what areas rent and what areas to stay away from. If I were you I would take advantage of your knowledge and connections in St Louis and invest in your backyard.

  • Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Eric Lopez do a multifamily house hack

  • Rental Property Investor · Dayton, OH · Member since 2016 · 210 posts · 160 votes
    7y

    My only additional advice is to get an inspection done,no matter how good it looks. Its the hidden things that can make-turn key go sideways quickly and eat into your return.

    Best of luck.

  • Property Manager · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Jonathan Oh

    Hi Jonathon,

    Thanks for responding. I was planning on doing some investing in St. Louis for that exact reason, the only small issue is that I am will be moving to New Hampshire for a year and then back to San Diego (my home), after that. You are correct in that I absolutely know St. Louis and the areas, but very soon I will no longer be in state and will be an OOS investor.

  • Property Manager · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Courtney Jones

    That is one thing I learned to never skimp on!

  • Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 171 posts · 63 votes
    7y

    Hi @Eric Lopez - to put in simple terms: Do you want to be an active or passive investor?

    If you want to work with contractors, negotiate repairs, be a landlord, source deals, find a tenant and manage rehabs, then being an active investor is the way to go. No need for turnkey.

    If you want to just collect rent and get your feet in the game, turnkey is the way to go. This will also give you the ability to learn about other markets without jumping into the deep end. Time is valuable for people and having another part time job may not be ideal for everyone.

    Hope this helps! 

  • CA · Member since 2018 · 83 posts · 44 votes
    7y

    Dude. 

    You have a HUGE advantage compared to the rest of us schmucks. I have to do this Out of state but you live right in a prime rental market. STL is great for finding rental properties!

    You know the area, you're in the area, you work as a PM -- put these advantages to use. You're set up for success! Even if you move away to SD, you know more than I do about STL and I have properties there.

    I know you'll do great

  • David OunanianBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 380 posts · 195 votes
    7y

    Hi @Eric Lopez

    The biggest issue is finding a turn key provider you can trust, who has a good track record and reputable referrals from other investors.  If you don't find that, then you need to hire a realtor with experience in this market who can vet out the property and the turn key provider and if necessary negotiate to get you a fair deal.

    CASHFLOW NATION535 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Eric Lopez:

    Dear BiggerPockets Family;

    I am relatively new to this site and still learning the basics of it all, but after listening to many of the podcasts, I kept hearing Brandon talk about posting on here as a great way to get involved. So here I go:

    I currently live and work in St. Louis, MO as a Property Manager. I have been doing so for the past 2 years and over that time, come to the realization that I want to begin doing this for myself. I currently do not own any property but am interested in getting started. With that being said, I am wary of starting off my investment career with a major project (foreclosure, LRA, etc.). Instead, I have looked more into turnkey rental properties as a means of getting my “feet wet” and learning the basics of property ownership. Once I have the basics down, I’ll then begin to look into more complex and intricate properties.

    What are some of the major issues with investing in Turnkey properties?

    Any and all help is appreciated!

     Why do you need to engage with a turnkey provider? You are a property manager. The company you work for isn't setup for everything you need?

  • Property Manager · Centennial, CO · Member since 2019 · 95 posts · 63 votes
    7y

    Good advice from many in here like @Michael Kay. NH and San Diego are expensive markets, and you're expertise in St Louis is golden. This is where you should consider building your portfolio. It comes down to time - as a PM myself, I know how busy we get so if you have time to fix up a home, this will be a great way to go. If you just simply don't have the time, then either buy the property that is turnkey or close to turnkey, or leverage your vendor relationships to get the work done at a better rate. You're sending them a ton of business, so they'll scratch your back and give you a deal. If they don't, then find other contractors for your PM biz. If you can build up a few properties in STL, you will find OOS investing to be a breeze when you move since you have all the connections in place.  

  • Andrew HoganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2016 · 559 posts · 463 votes
    7y

    Eric, like the others have said, turnkey (and multifamily syndications) are great for those who don't want a second job and just need to put their capital to work without taking hours out of their day.

    Most individuals on BP are looking to actively invest in their own deals.

    Downsides to turnkey or syndications are that you won't add much value yourself and the upside is basically capped.

  • Rental Property Investor · New York City · Member since 2019 · 703 posts · 538 votes
    7y

    @Tom Ott - I understand that turnkey is a fully rehabbed and rent ready.  When your properties get rehabbed is there a certain age guideline you follow to replace the boiler, roof and windows? 

    If you don't repalce the roof and/or boiler do you give the buyer a warranty on it ?

  • Property Manager · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Jason Pabon

    Hi Jason,

    That absolutely does, thank you for the advice!

  • Property Manager · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Michael Kay

    I don’t think anyone using this site is a schmuck! I think some of my hesitation comes from knowing the areas and some of the issues associated with them. Analysis paralysis by location if you will!

    Thanks for the awesome response!

  • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Anthony Rosa:

    @Tom Ott - I understand that turnkey is a fully rehabbed and rent ready.  When your properties get rehabbed is there a certain age guideline you follow to replace the boiler, roof and windows? 

    If you don't repalce the roof and/or boiler do you give the buyer a warranty on it ?

     Usually past mid-life. We replace when needed. If it is not needed, we would have it serviced by a licensed HVAC Tech. Yes, all properties have a 6-month home warranty. Can't have an investor go in blindly and unassured if this is supposed to be a TURNKEY!

  • Rental Property Investor · New York City · Member since 2019 · 703 posts · 538 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Tom Ott:
    Originally posted by @Anthony Rosa:

    @Tom Ott - I understand that turnkey is a fully rehabbed and rent ready.  When your properties get rehabbed is there a certain age guideline you follow to replace the boiler, roof and windows? 

    If you don't repalce the roof and/or boiler do you give the buyer a warranty on it ?

     Usually past mid-life. We replace when needed. If it is not needed, we would have it serviced by a licensed HVAC Tech. Yes, all properties have a 6-month home warranty. Can't have an investor go in blindly and unassured if this is supposed to be a TURNKEY!

    I thought the warranty would be longer than 6 mos. I may not need to turn on the boiler for 6 months (April-Sept). If you replaced a boiler with a new one the warranty is 3-5 years parts and labor.  With the top dollar sales price of TK homes you would think all capes would waranteed for a few years. 

  • Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
    Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Eric Lopez I agree that turn key can be a low risk way to get started if you're working with the right turn key company. Here are some things you want to look out for with whoever you work with and what to avoid.

    • Don't allow financing or a finance contingency (it can be a good indication they are selling above market value)
    • Don't allow for your own independent property inspection
    • Are not realistic with their pro forma's (i.e. they don't include vacancy or maintenance projections or use unrealistically low vacancy factors)
    • Require you to pay for any renovation upfront
    • Sell only in cheap. low end neighborhoods
    • Don't accurately represent the neighborhood/property classification
    • Don't have consistent rehab standards for all properties
    • Don't provide a scope of work for the property
    • Can't provide references of repeat investors
    • Require you to close before a tenant is in place
  • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Anthony Rosa:
    Originally posted by @Tom Ott:
    Originally posted by @Anthony Rosa:

    @Tom Ott - I understand that turnkey is a fully rehabbed and rent ready.  When your properties get rehabbed is there a certain age guideline you follow to replace the boiler, roof and windows? 

    If you don't repalce the roof and/or boiler do you give the buyer a warranty on it ?

     Usually past mid-life. We replace when needed. If it is not needed, we would have it serviced by a licensed HVAC Tech. Yes, all properties have a 6-month home warranty. Can't have an investor go in blindly and unassured if this is supposed to be a TURNKEY!

    I thought the warranty would be longer than 6 mos. I may not need to turn on the boiler for 6 months (April-Sept). If you replaced a boiler with a new one the warranty is 3-5 years parts and labor.  With the top dollar sales price of TK homes you would think all capes would waranteed for a few years. 

    A boiler has a good chance of being turned on in April and possibly even May here in Cleveland! 

  • Rental Property Investor · New York City · Member since 2019 · 703 posts · 538 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Tom Ott:
    Originally posted by @Anthony Rosa:
    Originally posted by @Tom Ott:
    Originally posted by @Anthony Rosa:

    @Tom Ott - I understand that turnkey is a fully rehabbed and rent ready.  When your properties get rehabbed is there a certain age guideline you follow to replace the boiler, roof and windows? 

    If you don't repalce the roof and/or boiler do you give the buyer a warranty on it ?

     Usually past mid-life. We replace when needed. If it is not needed, we would have it serviced by a licensed HVAC Tech. Yes, all properties have a 6-month home warranty. Can't have an investor go in blindly and unassured if this is supposed to be a TURNKEY!

    I thought the warranty would be longer than 6 mos. I may not need to turn on the boiler for 6 months (April-Sept). If you replaced a boiler with a new one the warranty is 3-5 years parts and labor.  With the top dollar sales price of TK homes you would think all capes would waranteed for a few years. 

    A boiler has a good chance of being turned on in April and possibly even May here in Cleveland! 

    Even if it is turned on in April and May the best warranty is a couple/few months?? Basically, a clean unit with fresh paint on the walls and and kitchen cabinets would be considered turnkey.   

  • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Anthony Rosa:
    Originally posted by @Tom Ott:
    Originally posted by @Anthony Rosa:
    Originally posted by @Tom Ott:
    Originally posted by @Anthony Rosa:

    @Tom Ott - I understand that turnkey is a fully rehabbed and rent ready.  When your properties get rehabbed is there a certain age guideline you follow to replace the boiler, roof and windows? 

    If you don't repalce the roof and/or boiler do you give the buyer a warranty on it ?

     Usually past mid-life. We replace when needed. If it is not needed, we would have it serviced by a licensed HVAC Tech. Yes, all properties have a 6-month home warranty. Can't have an investor go in blindly and unassured if this is supposed to be a TURNKEY!

    I thought the warranty would be longer than 6 mos. I may not need to turn on the boiler for 6 months (April-Sept). If you replaced a boiler with a new one the warranty is 3-5 years parts and labor.  With the top dollar sales price of TK homes you would think all capes would waranteed for a few years. 

    A boiler has a good chance of being turned on in April and possibly even May here in Cleveland! 

    Even if it is turned on in April and May the best warranty is a couple/few months?? Basically, a clean unit with fresh paint on the walls and and kitchen cabinets would be considered turnkey.   

    Sadly, some give Turnkey a bad name by doing that. It takes a lot more than fresh paint to make a property a Turnkey. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.