Does Your Real Estate Club Suck? Is it Incredible? Share Your Feedback!

Does Your Real Estate Club Suck? Is it Incredible? Share Your Feedback!

Joshua D.Pro Member
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes

Are you a member of a local real estate club?

Please share with us the following:

1 - What is the name of your local real estate investing club?
2 - What do you like about the club?
3 - What do you dislike about the club?
4 - How can they improve the club to better meet your needs?

I believe that if we can share what's good and what isn't about our local groups, we can then take that information to the heads of those clubs, and hopefully improve them to better serve you and your colleagues.

5 - OPTIONAL: I'd also be interested in knowing if you might be willing to speak about BiggerPockets in front of the other members of your club?

We're just over 5,000 members from 100,000, and if only a small number of you were willing to help motivate your colleagues to join the site, we could quickly hit this great milestone, and expand the knowledge,networking and dealmaking capabilities of BP.

1Reply
77 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2011 · 115 posts · 20 votes
14y

Hey Will.... I belong to the BEST REI club. It's called BP :::)))

Very informative, lots of members with ALOT of good input, close to home, etc, etc. And the price is right too!

See this reply in the discussion

47 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Homeowner · Burleson, TX · Member since 2008 · 756 posts · 376 votes
    14y

    I was a member of Johnson County Area Real Estate Investing Organization (JCAREIO). It was a small club but very friendly and helpful. The club no longer meets. Numbers dwindled due to economy.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y

    Greg B. - What did you like? What did you dislike (if anything)?

  • Homeowner · Burleson, TX · Member since 2008 · 756 posts · 376 votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Joshua Dorkin:
    Greg B. - What did you like? What did you dislike (if anything)?

    They usually had a local pro come in and share his professional experience with us. Title companies, foundation repairmen, foreclosure listing services, hard money lenders, etc.

    On Saturday's we would have a newbie breakfast. Chance to meet new people.

    A couple of times we took tours of local properties to identify what makes a deal and what does not.

    During the worst times of the banking crisis one of the local pros shared how he was still making deals and money. Many different methods to make deals. I still have the notes from that meeting.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    14y

    I am a member of Invest Club for Women (Men welcome too obviously) and they have two chapters, one local to me now in Studio City, CA (The valley) and one Irvine (OC).

    What i like is that in most meetings, there is a local RE investor speaking about their particular strategy rather than some guru coming in to upsell you.
    I also enjoy the networking - they get very interactive with this every meeting and I like the people that attend.

    The only thing I dislike is that the bar across the aparking lot (at the hotel) closes early often and thus, we have to drive like 1-2 miles down Ventura Boulevard to get drinks after. That is a real bummer! :)

    The only thing that would improve the club (other than free alcohol) would be to increase the already increasing membership!

  • Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    There are a couple of REIA groups here. I attended one of them for a number of months and talked with some members of the other.

    I quit attending primarily because they were just a platform for gurus to come, speak and sell product. The networking was good though less productive than other avenues. I was told that REAPS networking was better, but was not pumped to spend time listening to GURUS to have a little time to network.

    There are a couple of smaller groups that several of us have put together were we share experiences, spend more time networking and looking at ways we can help one another. These are much more productive.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y

    Thanks for the feedback so far, guys. Anyone else?

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 380 votes
    14y

    The OC Investors Club is on a pretty significant downturn. This used to be a club that 80 to 100 people attended, and attracted Bruce as a speaker last year. Last Friday's meeting had maybe 35 people, and lets just say the speaker was not as impressive as Bruce (nor were they given ample A/V setup and prep time). Also, the hosts of the club did not attend.

    Would be interesting to see what some of the past regulars at the club thought... so what say you Mitch Kronowit and Chris Weiler?

  • Real Estate Investor · Squaw Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 101 posts · 17 votes
    14y

    Hey Joshua,
    My sister and I have attended twice so far to the local Meetup REI here in the Fresno, CA area. I missed last months one only becuase I was out of town. However, it is a pretty cool deal. THe leader himself actually does mentorship programs, but does not push it on anyone what so ever like a typical "guru". He so far has been the only one speaking at it. A couple years ao he said they had a ton of members, with many speakers but then things some what fell apart. They just started back up a few months ago, and currently have around 45 members. We meet once a month at a restaurant, and he has gone over a couple investment strategies. Last time he spoke about Mobile home investments, and I was excited to hear all about it because that is where I want to further my investment strategies with the end goal being mobile home parks. What I like about it most is the oppertunity to network. I always take out business cards and pass them out, and tell others what it is I am wanting to do. You never know when you might run into that person, that might know someone else that you could use, or help. I will be mentioning to everyone how wonderful BP is, and how helpful it has been inanswering many questions that I come up with just by checking out the forums alone. I also love all the blog post!!! You guys rock!!! Keep up the great work, thanks a million, and stay blessed!!!
    Sabrina Laplante

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y

    Thanks for the feedback, Sabrina Laplante. So far I'm hearing that the quality of speaker is what makes/breaks these meetings for everyone. What about the format of the time spent? Amenities? Costs? Benefits?

    Can you guys delve into this stuff as well?

  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    14y

    In 1980, I was a founding member of the RICH club in Houston, Texas. Starting with 55 member, the club reached a pinnacle of 3000 member in 2008.

    The club always provided a great atmosphere for networking and making deals, exchanging ideas and information. In later years the club also provided many highly concentrated interest groups, with meeting held once a month. this included commercial investment group, foreclosure investing, property rights, land investing, flipping, etc.

    Unfortunately, the club was always more then willing to provide a forum for every guru without any vetting what so ever.

    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • SFR Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Jake Kucheck:
    The OC Investors Club is on a pretty significant downturn. This used to be a club that 80 to 100 people attended, and attracted Bruce as a speaker last year. Last Friday's meeting had maybe 35 people, and lets just say the speaker was not as impressive as Bruce (nor were they given ample A/V setup and prep time). Also, the hosts of the club did not attend.

    Would be interesting to see what some of the past regulars at the club thought... so what say you Mitch Kronowit and Chris Weiler?

    I rarely attend the OC Investors Club meetings anymore, even when I'm available. The atmosphere just doesn't feel the same since Geoff and Gabe turned over the reins.

    If they get a speaker I'm interested in listening to, I'll make the trip, but Friday's meeting, for example, was Ginger talking about getting into wholesaling. Sorry, not up my alley.

  • Investor · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2010 · 628 posts · 251 votes
    14y

    Joshua Dorkin
    I am the vice president of CARRIEA here in Little Rock. We are a small club that is struggeling. We meet every other month. I don't know what to do to secure more interest for the club. The major benefits we have currently is a email system to bounce ideas or info off of each other. This is an aide to finding contractors or other services.
    Unfortunately, support is lacking. We have had the same president for a few years who stepped up after one of the founding members who was serving backed out. About the only time we have new interest, is when a seminar comes through Little Rock. Then we are swamped with "wholesalers".
    I would love to generate some interest; I have posted my most recent success on the email and have had open houses at a rehab project. Really looking forward to more response to this thread to gain new ideas.
    Don

  • Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    REIA WA charges an annual membership of $129 for an individual or $189 for two individuals. They have business member rates as well. There are discounts for students and military.

    Members can attend the monthly meeting for free. Non members are welcome to come, but it costs $25. Typically there is a follow special class with one of the two speakers that costs $40 or $50.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y

    The reason I started this thread, Don Hines, is to see if we can get great feedback about what people like and what they dislike as well as to find out what practices turn people off from their clubs, and what keeps them coming back.

    I'm sure we can find out what is potentially ailing your group, and hope you get some takeaways from the other feedback in the thread.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y

    Charles Perkins - Pricing info is available on the websites of these clubs. I'm looking for feedback from members on the value proposition. What do you get for your money? Is it worthwhile?

    Ultimately, I'm trying to find out what people like and dislike about their groups.

  • Real Estate Agent · Weatherford, TX · Member since 2011 · 726 posts · 284 votes
    14y

    Tim Cook runs a couple in the DFW area. One is in Weatherford where I live, which is great. We've only been once, and it was very informative. A HML broker spoke about all the different ways to get hard money & how to use it in different situations. I get emails from the group all the time about upcoming speakers and investors sharing contractor info, deal info, etc. I hope to go this Saturday as well. Everyone was very welcoming, and no one seemed salesy. I like that they take time each meeting (if there are any new people) to introduce everybody, what they do, and where they buy. Instant local buyer's list.

    Oh, and the Granny's Kitchen breakfast is fantastic!

  • Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Joshua Dorkin:
    Charles Perkins - Pricing info is available on the websites of these clubs. I'm looking for feedback from members on the value proposition. What do you get for your money? Is it worthwhile?

    Ultimately, I'm trying to find out what people like and dislike about their groups.

    The only real value I see in the local REIA groups here is networking. The education they provide generally employ tactics that are dated or just downright don't work. Sometimes there are a few kernels of wisdom though and usually form a big picture stand point make sense. Younger investors might benefit from the general knowledge but usually there is no real meat for experienced investors (details)

    Even with networking - I have found members getting booted out of the group because they were holding there own satellite meetings with some of the members. I think these meeting might be more worthwhile if you could network more and the speaking had less to do about selling a book or product.

    The membership fee gives you a few discounts like discount on paint from one of the member companies. It also pays for the meeting place at the Hilton. The group is good sized usually bringing in 350-500 people.

    The REAPS group I here is more popular and has more people each month. Never went though. It also has a similar format to the REIAWA group and similar benefits from what I can tell.

  • Real Estate Agent · Hackettstown, NJ · Member since 2011 · 206 posts · 62 votes
    14y

    I go to three, for the networking and Learning, but I am new to REI, so I am still evaluating. I have only been going for 6 months tops.

    1 - What is the name of your local real estate investing club?
    - Tri-state Mixer
    - NJRESN
    - Invitation only small restaurant group

    2 - What do you like about the club?
    - Tri-state Mixer - $10 fee per visit (could be free if you join for $149). I like the owner Nick Tang who has only been investing a few years, but teaches what he knows, is open and honest, wants to partner and teach because the more he can offer, the bigger he feels his business will prosper. Has several meetings a month spread out in Manhattan, North Jersey and Central Jersey. Just started a free "Official Rich Dad Cashflow ® Subgroup meeting". Most meetings are in a Marriott and are set-up like a teachers room. Starts with some networking, then he talks about what you will learn, then introduces the sponsers/booths (like pest control, SD IRA, etc...), then it breaks into his hour or so lecture - no guru's but sometimes guests or panels.
    Also on Saturdays they have an in-expensive workshop once or twice a month. I went to one for $35 for 8 hours of learning about how to estimate the costs on re-habbing. It was very informative.

    - NJRESN - I paid the $50 fee for year, and costs $10 per visit, but they supply a buffet. This is a banquet facility, where 10 are at a table, they have a 1 minute round-the-table-elevator-speech and hand out business cards. Introduce Sponsors/booths, then lets the buffett begin. After 10 minutes or so the host will usually present a lesson.
    - Invitation only small restaurant group - it is easier to get to know people and deals, ask questions.

    3 - What do you dislike about the club?
    - Tri-state Mixer - so far nothing
    - NJRESN - Speakers sometimes are weak, the group is run by two partners who started in Jersey, but have since moved to San Diego (the one flies back almost every month, have never meet the other one). They I believe are part of Than Merrill's Fortune Builders.
    - Invitation only small restaurant group - limited experience, no guest speakers, but this one is in the county where I am located, whereas the others are closer to the shore.

    4 - How can they improve the club to better meet your needs?
    - Tri-state Mixer - I like the round table of the NJRESN, feels weird walking up to a group of investors that are talking and trying to learn something. I like how the other serves food too! ;-)
    - NJRESN - Good for networking, but the other club is better for learning stuff.
    - Invitation only small restaurant group - Small has its advantages and drawbacks.

    5 - OPTIONAL: I'd also be interested in knowing if you might be willing to speak about BiggerPockets in front of the other members of your club?
    - No, not at this point. Maybe someday ;-)

  • Real Estate Investor · Weatherford, TX · Member since 2012 · 1 post · 0 votes
    14y

    Hi All,
    Tim Cook here [ad removed] and I run a group called the West-DFW-REI-GROUP at www.meetup.com/west-dfw-rei-group. We're a young and small group coming up on three years young in Nov and about 183 members and growing. Our meetings are held the 1st Saturday of every month and run about 2.5 to 3 hours. I started the group for the purposes of Networking and meeting other like minded investors and to give back. In the 2.5 years of meetings, we've had one outside guru in to speak that sold anything. All other speakers have been local talent that have something to offer and want to give back as well. We have purposely not had sales pitch after sales pitch at the meetings as many are tired of it. It's been pure content, teaching and networking. Our meetings have been free to attend until two months and they are not only $5.00 to help cover some equipment to improve our presentation capabilities. The group has had a steady attendance of about 10% of it's members with the exception of a few meetings. It's been a struggle to get attendance higher for some reason. Topics change every month based on members request. It would be nice to see 15% to 20% in attendance but I don't see that in any club that I attend in the DFW area, even the ones selling products at their meetings.

    What do I like? It's small and not commericalized. It's a great group that attend the meetings and are doing deals. They are knowledgeable, glad to help others, and great to network with.

    What do I not like? People that want to complain and then not contribute to make it better. Put up or shut up.

    I love giving back to new investors and helping them get started but there's a limit. I can't do it all for them and there's a point they must take the ball and run with it.

    To Your Success!

    Tim Cook

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    14y
    Forgot about this one. Answer: Been there done that at least 50 times in multiple clubs, one of the reasons people thought i was the owner of BP!
    I will also continue to do so. I would estimate that well over 100 people have joined BP from me preaching about it at clubs. If more did the same, it would help.
  • Flipper · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2011 · 115 posts · 20 votes
    14y

    Hey Will.... I belong to the BEST REI club. It's called BP :::)))

    Very informative, lots of members with ALOT of good input, close to home, etc, etc. And the price is right too!

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Will Barnard:
    Forgot about this one. Answer: Been there done that at least 50 times in multiple clubs, one of the reasons people thought i was the owner of BP!
    I will also continue to do so. I would estimate that well over 100 people have joined BP from me preaching about it at clubs. If more did the same, it would help.

    That's why I appreciate you so much, Will! Thanks for being such an ardent supporter of BP!

  • Real Estate Agent · Weatherford, TX · Member since 2011 · 726 posts · 284 votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Tim Cook:
    I love giving back to new investors and helping them get started but there's a limit. I can't do it all for them and there's a point they must take the ball and run with it.

    I'm trying Tim :) Thanks for all your guidance and 2 hour phone conversations :)

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Payson, AZ · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Joshua Dorkin:
    Are you a member of a local real estate club?

    not currently

    Originally posted by Joshua Dorkin:
    Please share with us the following:

    1 - What is the name of your local real estate investing club?
    2 - What do you like about the club?
    3 - What do you dislike about the club?
    4 - How can they improve the club to better meet your needs?

    1- AZREIA (Arizona Real Estate Investing Association)
    2- I liked the abundance of newbs who were desperate to give you their 'deals' because they were too scared to take action themselves. In all fairness, most of them didn't know what to do or how to do it and it was really nice to be given deals. A lot of times, they just wanted to be involved in some aspect to get a learning experience which was fine by me.
    3- The lack of real investors
    4- haven't given that much thought

    Originally posted by Joshua Dorkin:
    5 - OPTIONAL: I'd also be interested in knowing if you might be willing to speak about BiggerPockets in front of the other members of your club?

    Without question or hesitation.

    Originally posted by Joshua Dorkin:
    We're just over 5,000 members from 100,000, and if only a small number of you were willing to help motivate your colleagues to join the site, we could quickly hit this great milestone, and expand the knowledge,networking and dealmaking capabilities of BP.

    This is conveniently, my exact purpose in life. True story.

  • Mobile Home Investor · Spanaway, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 578 votes
    14y

    1 - What is the name of your local real estate investing club?

    While in Colo Spgs, CO area - was an officer of the Pikes Peak Landlords & Investors Group. I also attended a few in Denver with Bill Bronchick. PPLIG did not allow any upselling - a table was provided in the back of the room for materials to be placed on. Anyone interested in learning more could contact the speaker privately to get more info.

    2 - What do you like about the club?

    At first it was interesting to be kept up to speed as to law changes, networking with other investors and just having a good social environment. Moved to NC and no local clubs available. Moved to WA and several groups are available - Charles Perkins has mentioned these groups.

    Roundtables were interesting - sit down at a table for 15 minutes and learn about a particular area of real estate investing. Rotate to next table that you are interested in and learn a different strategy of investing. Usually about 10-12 different stations.

    Discussion panels were also helpful - top individuals in different areas fielded questions about their area of expertise.

    A table was provided in the front of the room for anyone who wanted to put out a flyer on their company or properties available.

    3 - What do you dislike about the club?

    After awhile it becomes boring, monotonous and inbred. For the WA area groups I would need to drive about 1.5 hours each way just to attend the meetings.

    Denver group lined both sides of the entrance with tables of books & tapes they are hawking for you to buy. You felt like you never wanted to come back as all they wanted was to sell you something.

    Denver meeting was an hour+ drive from Colo Spgs depending on the traffic.

    Apathy of members was bad - once you volunteered for an officer's position, no one wanted to step up to take your place so you would be locked into a position for 2-3 years at a time.

    4 - How can they improve the club to better meet your needs?

    a. Allow more networking at the meetings.

    b. Don't allow one person to take over the meeting and hawk his/her wares or properties at the cost of excluding others.

    c. If subject is real estate investing - have RE investing topics. The Denver Group tried to get a subgroup started in the Colo Spgs area. I attended several of the meetings and all they ever talked about was that the president of the group was on TV and caught an arrow in flight with his hands while blindfolded. It was interesting the first time around, but every meeting was about the same info and never got to any real estate investing topics. They did have books and tapes for sale and $3000 courses to take along with a $26,000 mentoring program. Third meeting I attended - I had to leave so would not have to listen to the same old stuff over again.

    d. I still prefer the social aspect of a face to face meeting - many of the groups are using webinars now and for me that is a bit boring. Hey Mutt what do you think about this? Well Jeff this is my opinion. Those listening do not have an active part in the webinars.

    e. Refrain from having speakers try to upsell a captive audience. Have cards or flyers available on a separate table for those interested in more.

    I am still looking for a local group to join, but it seems people like to sit behind the computers and be anonymous so will not hold my breath thinking I will find a local group to join in WA.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.