Ellicott City, MD · Member since 2012 · 8 posts · 0 votes
I really want to join a real estate investor club to learn from experienced investors there, but if an 18 year old just walks in and starts talking to people, how will they take it? Will they not want to waste time on someone as young as me? Will they not take me seriously?
And just a side question, do you have to pay to join the club, or are there also free ones out there.
Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
13y
Hey Justin Lee - I think if an 18 year old walked in and was serious - you'd become the most popular guy in the room. It's a great position to be in. Ask a lot of questions and remember flattery goes a long way.
Investors all have the same regret: I wish I had started earlier. They will look at you as hope for the future. It's a weird thing, but I've seen it time and time again. Old guys love us young guys.
As for cost- yeah, most are gonna cost something. A lot of "clubs" are just "pitch fests" where gurus come in and try to make money. Be cautious and search around the BP forums for good clubs near you.
Also - you should add a picture to your profile! BiggerPockets is like a huge real estate club and without a photo - people aren't going to be as open to reach out :)
Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
13y
Hey Justin Lee - I think if an 18 year old walked in and was serious - you'd become the most popular guy in the room. It's a great position to be in. Ask a lot of questions and remember flattery goes a long way.
Investors all have the same regret: I wish I had started earlier. They will look at you as hope for the future. It's a weird thing, but I've seen it time and time again. Old guys love us young guys.
As for cost- yeah, most are gonna cost something. A lot of "clubs" are just "pitch fests" where gurus come in and try to make money. Be cautious and search around the BP forums for good clubs near you.
Also - you should add a picture to your profile! BiggerPockets is like a huge real estate club and without a photo - people aren't going to be as open to reach out :)
Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 75 posts · 47 votes
13y
Justin Lee I just recently joined the real estate investment club in Houston and wished I'd done so sooner. The vast array of talented people was well worth the cost to join. In the sessions that I've attended so far, it's amazing to meet the wealth of talented investors.
As others have mentioned, your age should not be an issue. Brandon Turner provided excellent advice as have others in this thread.
Good luck and I hope your experience with your local club reaps you great rewards.
Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
13y
Justin Lee Welcome to BP! Most 'seasoned' investors, builders, developers, etc. are more than happy to pass along whatever we can to those coming up in the business.
Also, don't sell yourself short, though many of us may have years, dare I say decades on you as far as the business, there's things that your generation are uniquely adept at that comes easily to you, and that we have a harder time of keeping up with, technology! Though I'm on Facebook, Tweet, keep up my own website, and can post stuff from Youtube, etc. there's so... many new social media sites, and things we can use, and you have knowledge of, so it can actually be a win/win for the investor to meet you too. If you're not knowledgable on those things, share your enthusiasm!
I'm always willing for anyone of any age to pick my brain, and share any experience or insight I might have.
Lake City, CO · Member since 2012 · 118 posts · 15 votes
13y
Justin: Everyone here has given you great insight so I'm going to throw in my 2 cents worth. Be very careful of investment clubs !!! Yes you will meet great contacts but I've seen people invest upwards of $20K to join these investment clubs that are gone now. My opinion is your miles ahead of the game if you find someone to invest with that has a track record and will work with you and train you hands on. NEVER go into an investment club that's looking to sell you tons of DVDs and books on how to do this. This is NOT an easy business. If your as interested in this as you say your are you won't have any trouble finding good people to help you out. Be smart, be careful and you can do fine in this business but experience is the best teacher in this business. Good luck, hope this helps.