Main things to avoid or look out for when investing

Main things to avoid or look out for when investing

Member since 2020 · 56 posts · 38 votes

Im a newbie investor no deals under my belt still just learning. I want to start off my journey in investing rentals .What are some major DO-NOTS when it comes to real estate in detail and examples would be great as well.

15Reply
275 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe VilleneuvePro Member
Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
5y

Negative cash flow, too high of a down payment,...and negative cash flow...and did I mention too high of a down payment?

See this reply in the discussion

130 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    5y

    Negative cash flow, too high of a down payment,...and negative cash flow...and did I mention too high of a down payment?

  • Member since 2020 · 82 posts · 100 votes
    5y

    Bidding wars! Don’t get caught up. You’re in it to make money. I believe if it’s not meant to be then it’s not. Don’t get too emotionally involved for a property if the numbers don’t make sense for you.

  • Member since 2020 · 56 posts · 38 votes
    5y

    @Joe Villeneuve thanks for the feedback. what’s bad about putting in to much?

  • Member since 2020 · 56 posts · 38 votes
    5y

    @Nadia O. Appreciate the feedback. So how do you go about negotiations

  • Member since 2020 · 82 posts · 100 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Antony Charlier:

    @Nadia O. Appreciate the feedback. So how do you go about negotiations

     We never ever bought over asking price. We always negotiate either $10-15k lower depending on the market of course. My rental was a short sale. I put in my bid $30k below asking price & I got it. It took 6 months to close but it was well worth it. We only purchased fixer upper. Many people stay away from them. Too much work / headache + lots of extra cash depending on the renovation.

    Recently we got caught up on bidding wars. We did put offer over asking $10k+ & still didn’t get the property. We backed away since then. We want to purchase another rental but like I mentioned the numbers have to be good...good enough for us to survive without renters. 

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Antony Charlier:

    @Joe Villeneuve thanks for the feedback. what’s bad about putting in to much?

    Total Property Cost and REI Cost are not the same unless you pay 100% cash. Total cost includes the down payment, the loan balance and interest. REI cost only includes what comes out the REI's pocket...in cash. The higher the DP, the more the property cost the investor.

    This is true based on the property having positive CF. If the property has negative CF, then add the negative CF to the cost of the property to the REI.

  • Member since 2020 · 56 posts · 38 votes
    5y

    @Nadia O. Okay got it thanks a lot!

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    Sort of along the same lines as what @Joe Villeneuve mentioned, but the main metric I look at when investing is, if the investment performs like I am projecting how long will it take me to get the cash I invested out fully. 

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Michael Noto:

    Sort of along the same lines as what @Joe Villeneuve mentioned, but the main metric I look at when investing is, if the investment performs like I am projecting how long will it take me to get the cash I invested out fully. 

     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^...*    (That was a drum roll and cymbal crash)...great answer! 

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Nadia O.:
    Originally posted by @Antony Charlier:

    @Nadia O. Appreciate the feedback. So how do you go about negotiations

     We never ever bought over asking price. We always negotiate either $10-15k lower depending on the market of course. My rental was a short sale. I put in my bid $30k below asking price & I got it. It took 6 months to close but it was well worth it. We only purchased fixer upper. Many people stay away from them. Too much work / headache + lots of extra cash depending on the renovation.

    Recently we got caught up on bidding wars. We did put offer over asking $10k+ & still didn’t get the property. We backed away since then. We want to purchase another rental but like I mentioned the numbers have to be good...good enough for us to survive without renters. 

     This strategy works...for many...which is part of the problem.  This also means there is a lot of competition for these properties.

    I'll still do this, but I find I can make more money now and down the road even if I offer more than the AP.  I focus on what "my" cost is instead of what the "total cost" would be.  My cost (as long as the property has positive CF) is only what comes out of my pocket in the form of cash.  The faster I can recover my cost, also in the form of cash, the faster I start making a profit...and the faster I have nothing left at risk.

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    Do not trust other people with your money.   Learn before you invest.... maybe start small or conservative  .....

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5y

    Crime.

  • Member since 2020 · 56 posts · 38 votes
    5y

    @Michael Noto appreciate the feedback!

  • Investor · USA · Member since 2015 · 325 posts · 447 votes
    5y

    @Antony Charlier

    What to avoid: Overpaying for Property. If you overpay you are always stuck. The costs to sell is around 5-10%.

    Monthly Cashflow is nice but not the most important thing in investing. The objective should be to make money, that looks different in a lot of markets.

  • Member since 2020 · 36 posts · 18 votes
    5y

    @Joe Villeneuve what do you consider a “high down payment”?

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Joe Villeneuve:

    Just want to point out that Joe means he has no cash at risk....there is still risk   Risk of your credit being dinged if you were not able to make loan payments, risk pf being sued by a slip and fall (or whatever), etc etc  there is always risk in real estate  

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Ursula Leake:

    @Joe Villeneuve what do you consider a “high down payment”?

     Anything over the minimum needed for that property by the lender

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Mary M.:
    Originally posted by @Joe Villeneuve:

    Just want to point out that Joe means he has no cash at risk....there is still risk   Risk of your credit being dinged if you were not able to make loan payments, risk pf being sued by a slip and fall (or whatever), etc etc  there is always risk in real estate  

    Credit yes, but that can be repaired and isn't a requirement to invest.  The slip an fall isn't at risk since there isn't anything of value to be gained by a lawsuit.  If you have 100% equity, you have 100% at rusk from a lawsuit.  As your equity goes down, there's nothing left to take since the loan must be paid off first.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @Antony Charlier, build your team, don't try to do it all alone. 

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2020 · 150 posts · 54 votes
    5y

    Hey Anthony,

    I'm a newbie as well, I am looking for great deals and educate myself on a daily basis,

    Good luck

  • Real Estate Agent · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2014 · 486 posts · 303 votes
    5y

    @Antony Charlier one do not is pay contractors all of their money before the job is fully done.

  • Member since 2020 · 56 posts · 38 votes
    5y

    @Jaquetta Turner got it! Appreciate the feedback

  • Member since 2020 · 56 posts · 38 votes
    5y

    @Johnson Ochea thanks for the feedback. Any tips on how to go about building a great team.

  • Member since 2020 · 56 posts · 38 votes
    5y

    @Kai Van Leuven really appreciate the feedback!

  • New York City, NY · Member since 2019 · 52 posts · 38 votes
    5y

    Good advice here. I would add - always compare lenders and shop around for a good rate. It can save you thousands. When I bought my first multifamily I applied with more than 7 lenders. My loan rate went from 3.8% to 2.75%. Just went into contract on another property and applied with 4 lenders. My rate went from 5% to 4.625%.

    Your loan interest rate eats into your profit so it’s worth the trouble to shop around and compare lenders. Always have the documents you need to apply quickly accessible so you can throw everything at a lender quickly and get a quick turn-around.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.