Tub vs Shower in a small ADU in San Diego

Tub vs Shower in a small ADU in San Diego

San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 53 posts · 17 votes

Hello everyone! I am finally moving forward on an ADU project I have been working to permit since the new ADU law went into effect in California back in January of 2020.

Originally, I wanted a tub in the bathroom since a full shower would give me more value in the property as well as higher monthly rent.  However, now that the walls are framed, I am finding it to be a very tight squeeze in the bathroom with the sink right next to it.  The sewer lines have already been placed, inspected and concrete poured so I cannot change the location of the toilet or tub.  BUT, I can opt to create more space by going with a shower stall instead of a full tub.

I was wondering your thoughts on this. My thought process is that this ADU is in a beach community and people are used to smaller spaces, so I'm leaning towards keeping the tub so I can claim a full bathroom vs. 3/4 bath.

Thank you all and have a safe holiday season!

0Reply
56 views

Most Popular Reply

Dan H.Pro Member
Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
5y

Have you seen the tubs with doors?  Typically they are for elder people.  The are tall with a small footprint.  It would have an "unusual" look, but it could provide a tub in the footprint of a shower.  

The question are:

  • Would the "unusual" look degrade from its rentability?
  • How reliable are the seals on those doors?  My Father in law had one and it never leaked, but he had it less than a decade.
  • What is the cost of those types of tubs?

I do not know the answers to any of the above questions.  It provides you something to consider/research.

Good luck

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    5y

    Have you seen the tubs with doors?  Typically they are for elder people.  The are tall with a small footprint.  It would have an "unusual" look, but it could provide a tub in the footprint of a shower.  

    The question are:

    • Would the "unusual" look degrade from its rentability?
    • How reliable are the seals on those doors?  My Father in law had one and it never leaked, but he had it less than a decade.
    • What is the cost of those types of tubs?

    I do not know the answers to any of the above questions.  It provides you something to consider/research.

    Good luck

  • Roanoke, VA · Member since 2014 · 404 posts · 203 votes
    5y

    @Oscar Miguel here in our market many small urban apartments have a shower rather than tub/shower, and they rent like hot cakes.

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 53 posts · 17 votes
    5y

    Thank you @Matt Clark, I appreciate the insight!

  • Member since 2022 · 1 post · 0 votes
    4y

    What did you end up installing? I'm guessing the tight space you were referring to was between the tub and the vanity. Usually in a small bathroom, I would place the tub against the back wall and the toilet and vanity along the long wall opposite the door. 

    Next switch the vanity for a pedestal sink if it's too tight. 

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 53 posts · 17 votes
    4y
    Hello JR I needed up using a non standard smaller tub typically used in manufactured homes.  It allowed me to keep the tub option at its designed location.  It was a hit with tenants

    Originally posted by @JR Stoner:

    What did you end up installing? I'm guessing the tight space you were referring to was between the tub and the vanity. Usually in a small bathroom, I would place the tub against the back wall and the toilet and vanity along the long wall opposite the door. 

    Next switch the vanity for a pedestal sink if it's too tight. 

  • Member since 2022 · 55 posts · 19 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Oscar Miguel:

    Hello everyone! I am finally moving forward on an ADU project I have been working to permit since the new ADU law went into effect in California back in January of 2020.

    Originally, I wanted a tub in the bathroom since a full shower would give me more value in the property as well as higher monthly rent.  However, now that the walls are framed, I am finding it to be a very tight squeeze in the bathroom with the sink right next to it.  The sewer lines have already been placed, inspected and concrete poured so I cannot change the location of the toilet or tub.  BUT, I can opt to create more space by going with a shower stall instead of a full tub.

    I was wondering your thoughts on this. My thought process is that this ADU is in a beach community and people are used to smaller spaces, so I'm leaning towards keeping the tub so I can claim a full bathroom vs. 3/4 bath.

    Thank you all and have a safe holiday season!

    Congrats on your ADU! Would be great to connect, as I’m planning to build 2 ADUs in SD (Oceanside) soon. 
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.