NC/VA asset management/financial advisor?

NC/VA asset management/financial advisor?

Member since 2020 · 38 posts · 9 votes

Hi all, been lurking for a while & doing weekly webinars/podcasts. Very excited to be a part of this community and by what I’m learning!

Approx 15 years ago, through inheritance, helping out a friend in bankruptcy, and just because we enjoyed rehabbing houses, my then-husband & I found ourselves the owners of 5 SFH. We owned 4 of them outright. We jokingly called ourselves "house hoarders." We had no plan. Rented one house out because we couldn't sell it in the 2008 market. When I asked both my banker and CPA how we could leverage/structure some of this to build wealth/reduce taxes, we got incomplete advice that steered us away from pursuing (knowing what I know now, neither were investor friendly/savvy).

Fast forward to now (with eyes open!): those houses are gone and I want to start over in a way that will allow me to replace a portion of my income within two years (beyond that, I’m flexible). I don’t qualify for conventional mortgages.
To help me forge this path, I’m interested in guidance on asset protection/tax strategy/real estate investment strategy. Something like what Anderson Advisors appears to do, but less opaque.

1.Is this one person or three?
2. What are they called?

3. Are they a fiduciary?

4. How do they typically get paid: flat fee? Or based on some sort of percentage?

Thank you in advance, REI hive mind.

Sabine French

    Edit signature

    0Reply
    24 views

    2 Replies

    Jump to latestLatest
    • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
      Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      5y

      @Account Closed

      You put "real estate investment strategy" 3rd after asset protection and tax strategy.

      I would like to emphasize that real estate investment strategy(if that is the path you go for wealth creation) should be first and foremost. Asset / tax strategies should be discussed once you know your investment path.

      If your questions at the end were geared towards Anderson Advisors - I think its a larger firm than just 3 people. If they offer a free 10-15 minute consultation - I would ask the remaining questions directly to them.

    • Member since 2020 · 38 posts · 9 votes
      5y
      Originally posted by @Basit Siddiqi:

      @Account Closed

      You put "real estate investment strategy" 3rd after asset protection and tax strategy.

      I would like to emphasize that real estate investment strategy(if that is the path you go for wealth creation) should be first and foremost. Asset / tax strategies should be discussed once you know your investment path.

      If your questions at the end were geared towards Anderson Advisors - I think its a larger firm than just 3 people. If they offer a free 10-15 minute consultation - I would ask the remaining questions directly to them.

      Thank you for taking the time to respond, Basit. I realize I need to be clearer!

      By grouping real estate investment strategy/tax strategy/asset protection together, I did not mean to imply an order of importance or priority. In my mind they are intertwined and I’m unclear if there is a single professional who can advise me on all three.

      To that end, when I asked “is this one person or three,” I meant that literally —will I need to find three different professionals to advise me on each of these categories or is there a professional who advises on all three (and, if so, what would they be called?)?

      My question regarding flat fees and fiduciaries was so that I could understand in advance what the industry norm is. 

      Thank you. 


    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.