Should I get a Coach or Enroll in a Course for Real Estate?

Should I get a Coach or Enroll in a Course for Real Estate?

Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 1 vote

I am new to Real Estate Investing. I see so many ads on YouTube offering coaching or courses on how to get started. Are these valuable resources and good for someone new? Which ones are the best? I want to make sure I’m actually investing in something that will help me get going and not fall victim to buying information that is already freely available. Thanks!

0Reply
35 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2018 · 255 posts · 118 votes
5y

@Darin McKinney

I payed for a coaching program and learned a lot, it was pretty helpful in the knowledge aspect ..... Buuut, what helped me really take action was networking, talking to like minded people around me and having a mindset change...

To answer your question, no I don't think you should immediately start a coaching program, find out what it feels like to take action first.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2018 · 255 posts · 118 votes
    5y

    @Darin McKinney

    I payed for a coaching program and learned a lot, it was pretty helpful in the knowledge aspect ..... Buuut, what helped me really take action was networking, talking to like minded people around me and having a mindset change...

    To answer your question, no I don't think you should immediately start a coaching program, find out what it feels like to take action first.

  • Investor · New Windsor, NY · Member since 2016 · 73 posts · 42 votes
    5y

    @Darin McKinney I completely agree with @Kyle Keller to get your feet wet with mingling and interacting with the processes of being a real estate investor. Coaching is good and even great for some people. But at the end of paying all the money, you will still find yourself having to coach yourself to get started but just more information. The understanding comes when you make calls to meet investors and build your investment team of bankers, agents, contractors, property managers, and do the necessary research on whatever area you're interested in investing in.

    Its a lot cheaper to find the online and book resources to get you started on those tasks. Then if you decide to get coaching, you will have some action in your pocket which most other coaching students don't have...and you'll have a better idea what to do next with the information coaching would give you.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Kyle Keller Thank you for the reply. I appreciate your input. Wishing you much success!!

  • Realtor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2018 · 255 posts · 118 votes
    5y

    Thanks, @Darin McKinney, you too!

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Carlin Randolph thanks for the input! I saw Bigger Pockets has a free ebook on real estate investing. Do you know if that one is good, or any books that are good starter books? I heard on a podcast that Bigger Pockets was a great online resource. I think I’m looking to try and just stick with a few strong resources to get started because there is so much out there and it can be overwhelming to navigate through it all. Thanks for taking the time and wishing you all the best!!

  • Matthew Irish-JonesBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Darin McKinney almost everything you need is on BP

    Irish Jones Realty4.947 Reviews
    View Page
  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Darin McKinney

    You don’t need a coach or to spend a cent on any real estate advice. Hang around here or listen to podcasts. That’s what I did. And within 5 years I had 10 properties somehow. Lol. It’s definitely not rocket science. You can scribble down numbers in less than 5 minutes on a napkin to see if something cash flows and will work for you. Don’t over think it’s. Get on Zillow and check properties in the areas you’re thinking about investing in. Hit the like button on the ones you like. You’ll get emails from Zillow when they go pending. You’ll get a feel for what’s a good deal real quick by playing that game. And reach out to other investors for free advice. PM them and pick their brains. We were all in your shoes and happy to help. Good luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Matthew Irish-Jones I heard an investor in a podcast say that too! Thanks!

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @John Morgan Thanks a lot John! I've started on the podcasts, that's how I found Bigger Pockets. Happy to see you're doing well. I will definitely follow the advice!

  • Investor · New Windsor, NY · Member since 2016 · 73 posts · 42 votes
    5y

    @Darin McKinney Yes there are a lot of resources on BP for sure.  I don't know what your focus is but J. Scott has a couple of great books on Flipping and rehabbing and Brandon Turner has a very good book on acquiring rentals and buying with low or no money down. You might also hear on the podcast to treat it like a business so great business books will help also like Thinking Fast Thinking Slow and Don't Split The Difference. I would say treat it like you're learning a new language where you read a lot and then practice by using it but also by speaking with people who know it to help you become more proficient. I hope that helps. Best of luck to you.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    Right on @Carlin Randolph! Thanks so much and all the best to you as well!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.