Population Trends and Data Science in Real Estate

4 Replies

Are there any good resources to see current population trends and other real estate related data trends by town or as granular as possible in order to be able to make intelligent projections about real estate investing. Seems like something like this should be a necessary tool in a real estate investors arsenal, but I having a hard time finding one and rarely hear folks talk about it. I often see top 10 population trend lists, but that seems unreliable and fluffy, more like click bait and marketing material rather than something to base investment decisions on.

Hey Mike, I unfortunately don't have any data but subscribing to the thread as I have a background in CS & machine learning and am interested in collaborating & discussing in the REI space.

Teaser: Links to statistical databases

@Mike Preshman wrote: "Are there any good resources to see current population trends and other real estate related data trends by town..."

General reviews of demographics and economics are available at statista.com. The service provides reports in PDF and PNG format for free: link

Mike wrote: "I often see top 10 population trend lists, but that seems unreliable and fluffy, more like click bait and marketing material rather than something to base investment decisions on."

The problem of incompetent opinions seems to go back more than a millennium. At one time Lao Tzu talked about it:

Image source via BrainyQuote.com

Use real estate APIs to make intelligent projections about real estate investing. I sent you the link to the article "100 Real Estate APIs" in the DM.

@Carson Mclean wrote: "I have a background in CS & machine learning and am interested in collaborating & discussing in the REI space"

I hosted a roundtable discussion on REI Machine Learning. I sent you a link to the papers and discussion in the DM.

Teaser: Links to videos of "REI AI and Machine Learning" Round Table ==

@Jonathan Roberts, the problem is that the roundtable materials are posted on my website. Anyone else can publish these links here at BiggerPockets. But I can't because it might be considered advertising for my website.

I sent you to DM the links to the reports and discussion of the roundtable on AI and Machine Learning of REI. Enjoy reading!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you