What state is the best to start getting into real estate?

What state is the best to start getting into real estate?

Medford, OR · Member since 2021 · 13 posts · 5 votes

Hey everyone! Once I graduate high school I will no longer be tied down to my city and will be free to move where the money is. I currently live in Oregon and right now and Oregon seems to have very complicated laws when it comes to wholesaling and investing. I would love to move where laws are more free and have good opportunities for investing. Let me know your ideas.

3Reply
37 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 872 votes
5y

I've heard a lot of folks like Indiana, Ohio, and Alabama. I'm here in Ohio and many people from out west invest here. So I'd say start with those three states and see which one grabs your attention!

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 301 posts · 80 votes
    5y

    Hey @Lance Bolen.  Good on you for being proactive!  What areas types of investing are you interested in at the moment?  As I'm sure you know, you can do a quick search on the site to get more specific info about a niche topic.  Have you tried any virtual meetups for your target areas?

    Wishing you a great start!!  If I can help moving forward feel free to connect.

    Cheers,

  • Real Estate Agent · PA · Member since 2021 · 240 posts · 131 votes
    5y

    I'm from central PA that would be a haul for you. However look into areas where landlord laws are in your favor. Look for stable or upcoming markets. Some markets are more volatile than others. Some are more competitive with lack of inventory. Out here in PA You can still by SFH for 75k and multifamily run roughly 75-120k a unit.

    Wish you all the best!

  • Real Estate Broker · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 872 votes
    5y

    I've heard a lot of folks like Indiana, Ohio, and Alabama. I'm here in Ohio and many people from out west invest here. So I'd say start with those three states and see which one grabs your attention!

  • Columbus, OH · Member since 2021 · 46 posts · 67 votes
    5y

    Hi @Lance Bolen real estate is one of the best ways to start investing! I just bought my first investment property here in Ohio. The market here is moving very quickly so it is a great place to consider investing or even moving to, I was able to close on my property in less than a month! 

  • Brandon GoldsmithBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    As many of the others said, you can try looking out in the midwest, laws are usually more landlord-friendly and the property is more affordable than out West. @Lance Bolen

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Lance Bolen:

    Hey everyone! Once I graduate high school I will no longer be tied down to my city and will be free to move where the money is. I currently live in Oregon and right now and Oregon seems to have very complicated laws when it comes to wholesaling and investing. I would love to move where laws are more free and have good opportunities for investing. Let me know your ideas.

     Hi Lance, I would do some research on where most people are investing. I am personally in the Columbus, OH market. 

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Lance Bolen:

    Hey everyone! Once I graduate high school I will no longer be tied down to my city and will be free to move where the money is. I currently live in Oregon and right now and Oregon seems to have very complicated laws when it comes to wholesaling and investing. I would love to move where laws are more free and have good opportunities for investing. Let me know your ideas.

    Here is a good video The Ohio Division of Real Estate made about wholesaling in Ohio https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fi54S8nwUA https://www.com.ohio.gov/real/

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.