Chicago Zoning Converting 3 units to 4 units (RS-3 zoning)

Chicago Zoning Converting 3 units to 4 units (RS-3 zoning)

Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 13 votes

Hello,  

I purchased a legal 3 flat in Chicago (RS-3 currently zoned) that that we are gut rehabbing and are looking to convert the basement into a 4th unit.  We will have 2 means of e-gress, proper ceiling height (7ft. 6in), 1,500 sq. ft per unit, etc. for the basement.  I've heard different answers when it comes to adding this 4th unit and the main 2 are below:

1)  I should hire an attorney and need to re-zone the property to add the 4th unit.

2)  I can do this on my own and we do not need to change the current RS-3 zoning (if it was RS-1 or RS-2 that would not be possible) and I should reach out to the alderman to find details to have property changed from a 3-unit to a 4-unit. 

I would like to do make this a legal 4 flat as it will help tremendously with the ARV and allow me to get 80% of the money back out of this BRRRR.

My initial thought was to go to the alderman and speak with him regarding the project and our desire for the 4th unit. 

If anyone has done this or knows the process I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thank you,

Tim

1Reply
89 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Timothy Taylor:

    Hello,  

    I purchased a legal 3 flat in Chicago (RS-3 currently zoned) that that we are gut rehabbing and are looking to convert the basement into a 4th unit.  We will have 2 means of e-gress, proper ceiling height (7ft. 6in), 1,500 sq. ft per unit, etc. for the basement.  I've heard different answers when it comes to adding this 4th unit and the main 2 are below:

    1)  I should hire an attorney and need to re-zone the property to add the 4th unit.

    2)  I can do this on my own and we do not need to change the current RS-3 zoning (if it was RS-1 or RS-2 that would not be possible) and I should reach out to the alderman to find details to have property changed from a 3-unit to a 4-unit. 

    I would like to do make this a legal 4 flat as it will help tremendously with the ARV and allow me to get 80% of the money back out of this BRRRR.

    My initial thought was to go to the alderman and speak with him regarding the project and our desire for the 4th unit. 

    If anyone has done this or knows the process I would greatly appreciate any advice.

    Thank you,

    Tim

    If you are not in an ADU zone you need to reach out to the alderman. You will need a zoning change to RT to be able to add density, so make sure you know what FAR you are asking for based on the zoning. Before the alderman will meet with you, many ask for the plans with the 4th unit, so you will need an architect first and foremost.

    This process can be done without an attorney, but it is 100% up to the alderman to approve you and it can be a long process with limited success.  The attorney can help get things done faster

    https://secondcityzoning.org/z...

  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 13 votes
    4y

    @Brie Schmidt Thank you!

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Timothy Taylor - If you aren't in the ADU pilot area then you need to understand what your building is currently zoned (Chicago zoning map website = https://gisapps.chicago.gov/Zo...) and see what you can build buy right. If it's a legal 3 and you want to make it a legal 3, that is more than likely going to require a zoning change as @Brie Schmidt mentioned but you'll have to double-check the calculations based on your current zoning just to be sure.

    Either way, definitely check with an architect like @Samuel Pavlovcik or @Prashanth Mahakali or you can always figure out the calculations yourself - I like this website: https://secondcityzoning.org/

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.