How far away from work can I use an fha loan?

How far away from work can I use an fha loan?

Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2019 · 370 posts · 330 votes

Is there a certain distance in miles or driving time that would disqualify me from buying in a certain area for using an FHA loan?

For example. About an hour away from where I work is an area that would be an excellent airbnb location after my one year residency.

I would love to get a solid property with a low dp but the distance from my job is my only concern with underwriting.

1Reply
67 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
4y

@Ryan Cleary I have never heard of an FHA distance requirement. The only rule of concern is that you occupy the property as a resident during the first year of purchase.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Ryan Cleary I have never heard of an FHA distance requirement. The only rule of concern is that you occupy the property as a resident during the first year of purchase.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Phoenix Arizona · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    4y

    Nor have I,  I would ask a Real Estate Broker or full time agent.  It is a common question.

  • Lender · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2013 · 496 posts · 296 votes
    4y

    Lender is going to want to see that your job is a reasonable commute from the house. What does reasonable mean? In LA it would be different than Fresno. It is up to the discretion of the underwriter. Start talking to lenders and see what they say.

  • Lender · Lewis, CO · Member since 2017 · 218 posts · 159 votes
    4y

    There's no specific distance.  If it's something like 40 miles plus then the underwriter will probably ask for a letter of explanation to determine how it's realistic that you are going to live in the property and commute everyday.  If your explanation includes something to the effect of "I'll only have to do this for a year because then I'll be moving out" it might not go over well.  

    Simple answer is that you write a letter of explanation that is true and reasonable.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.